Bargain buys thread

Chamelion

Likes Dirt

Paid $130 for a pair then got home and saw this... woops... so did the only sane thing and bought two more pairs.

Haven't owned them before.. but they fit my 6E width feet really well and the grip increase over my old new balance dad shoes is astounding. Had to jump at setting myself up with shoes that actually fit, so I bought two more pairs from Pushys. Bonus that they look close enough to casual shoes one pair will serve that function.. not kidding when I say ive fit nothing but new balance for the last decade or so.

Short version, bargain.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
What sort of trickery is this that you happen to be a size 46, I'm a 45 and it goes back to $100. Wtf!
Im closer to a 44, but I have to upsize in length to get the width. I just usually have to compromise a bit further (47s, which end up way too long)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
whast the deal with the trickstuff brakes. never heard of them before. What makes them worth the coin?
Look up the Enduro magazine brake comparison. They pretty much destroyed everything else including Saints and Codes.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Look up the Enduro magazine brake comparison. They pretty much destroyed everything else including Saints and Codes.

i read the article (https://enduro-mtb.com/en/trickstuff-maxima-review/), but didnt see any comparison. maybe i looked at a different enduro mag? But what constitutes destroyed? I mean the technology is all the same, isnt it? A hydraulic line, all pushing brake fluid of some description to actuate pistons that have pads connected to them against a disc. Is it really then not just the compound on the pads that's the relevant factor here and not so much the 1200 euro brakes? Asside from feel and personal preferences (all subjective), im not getting what the difference is here. 100% recognise im ignorant on this and these are legitimate questions, not trying to be contrary.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
i read the article (https://enduro-mtb.com/en/trickstuff-maxima-review/), but didnt see any comparison. maybe i looked at a different enduro mag? But what constitutes destroyed? I mean the technology is all the same, isnt it? A hydraulic line, all pushing brake fluid of some description to actuate pistons that have pads connected to them against a disc. Is it really then not just the compound on the pads that's the relevant factor here and not so much the 1200 euro brakes? Asside from feel and personal preferences (all subjective), im not getting what the difference is here. 100% recognise im ignorant on this and these are legitimate questions, not trying to be contrary.

Trickstuff were one of the first (IIRC) to use bearing in the brake level pivot which seemed to dramatically improve lever feel according to reviews...

Nowadays more and more brakes are coming out with the same thing.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

Trickstuff were one of the first (IIRC) to use bearing in the brake level pivot which seemed to dramatically improve lever feel according to reviews...

Nowadays more and more brakes are coming out with the same thing.
im curious how much improvement can be had by fitting their pads to a different brake platform. re lever feel. Ive only really ever had the code RSC as any decent brake and they feel fine. Dont really know what could improve. 1200 euros is a fair whack to test that out :p Also do you drive a maroon landcruiser?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
im curious how much improvement can be had by fitting their pads to a different brake platform. re lever feel. Ive only really ever had the code RSC as any decent brake and they feel fine. Dont really know what could improve. 1200 euros is a fair whack to test that out :p Also do you drive a maroon landcruiser?
Codes have a pretty progressive (gradual) lever feel from memory, where some other brands of brake (ie: Shimano) tend to come on quite aggressively - so lever feel/repeatability is more important.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
im curious how much improvement can be had by fitting their pads to a different brake platform. re lever feel. Ive only really ever had the code RSC as any decent brake and they feel fine. Dont really know what could improve. 1200 euros is a fair whack to test that out Also do you drive a maroon landcruiser?
The pads are very good but not head and shoulders above everything else. You get 99% of the performance with Racematrix pads.

The Trickstuff also use Goodridge braided lines. Again this is available aftermarket and the Uberbike steel braided lines are 99% of the performance.

I find Code RSCs require a lot of lever force to actuate even before the pads contact the disc, almost a gloopy feel.

Last edited: