Bargain buys thread

MrPlow

TMBC
Ordered a set. Put my old Zelvy rims on my hardtail and have been breaking nipples every ride and and bloody sick of looking at them. I'm pretty sure when I had a crash replacement done the old nipples where used and just can't handle the tension. Will give me an excuse to rebuild them properly.
Hey Phil, Please contact us. We don't re-use nipples or spokes when we rebuild a wheel. Did we do it, or a LBS?

Z

Zaf

Ordered a set. Put my old Zelvy rims on my hardtail and have been breaking nipples every ride and and bloody sick of looking at them. I'm pretty sure when I had a crash replacement done the old nipples where used and just can't handle the tension. Will give me an excuse to rebuild them properly.
That's starting to sound like a standard feature!
:behindsofa:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheap as. Makes me want to buy one with no frame to put it on.
Yep same here - but a $60 bargain quickly turns into a $2k N+1 build and I have no room for another bike, must resist!!

Moorey, a mate at worked got one as well,as a spare for that inevitable moment when his current dropper fails.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
AFAIK TranzX is the same post as the BrandX sold by CRC for $150.

A solution to a problem I don't have either.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Phil, Please contact us. We don't re-use nipples or spokes when we rebuild a wheel. Did we do it, or a LBS?
It was a crash replacement that I sent to you guys to do. No complaints with that part! You guys got me up and running for a big bike trip and sent the wheel express to a mates house half way across the country from me to get me going.

Just yeah I got a few months in and started breaking nipples. They're now on my hardtail which rarely gets ridden, in fact my wife uses it mainly to tow a kid around on in a trailer. The last nipple I replaced was last weekend and I re-taped, put sealant in with a tyre ready to lend out to a friend who was interested in mountain biking and I literally rolled out the garage and put a bit of horsepower into the pedal and broke a different nipple . Packed it away and didn't look at it again haha.

I've got another set of Zelvys on my other bike and they've been flawless. And those other ones where too until the crash replacement. I just assumed old nipples, but maybe not.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I just bought this wheelset as a bit of a gamble. https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/mtb-bike-tubeless-29er-wheelset-2-x-maxxis-29x2.25/WH-WB-M6-QQ

Turned up yesterday. Epic value and decent build. 142/15mm thru axles, 29mm outer rim width, mediocre tires, tubes and tubeless tape installed for under $200 delivered!
I hate this thread. Bought also.

I have an unbuilt wheel and hubs, a spare semi broken wheelset that s spaghetti and one that works perfectly bu I'd like a wider rim.

Cycling deal also have some decent priced manitou forks. Great for upgrading the kiddies bikes or adding to the parts bin.
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/shop/parts/forks/1121?cn=275&rf=cn

Last edited: