Bargain buys thread

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You sold me with proprietary shock mount
Custom lauf rear leaf spring held together by araldite.

But seriously. It's been a good 3 years since I bought a bike (hardtail qr for ebike conversion). I am totally ready for a new titatnium build but boost lasting about 2.5 years before being superseeded is not exactly confidence inspiring. Better to spend money on accessories like Rudy Projects :p

Z

Zaf

Custom lauf rear leaf spring held together by araldite.

But seriously. It's been a good 3 years since I bought a bike (hardtail qr for ebike conversion). I am totally ready for a new titatnium build but boost lasting about 2.5 years before being superseeded is not exactly confidence inspiring. Better to spend money on accessories like Rudy Projects :p
Your replacement cycle is in excess of 3yrs, almost certain spares for boost frames will exist for the next three years even if they're suddenly superceded by a new standard tomorrow (across the board). So the only person this is going to hurt is whoever you sell the bike onto, potentially, and your resale value. But then it's a 3yr clapped out frame anyway.

Also, Trek, Giant and Specialized (in spite of 142+) have both taken up the boost banner, and if memory serves, it was a Trek development to begin with. Don't count on them saying they got it wrong and jumping over to a new standard any time soon...I mean look at how slow Giant have been with getting onto 29ers after their little "Goldilocks wheelsize is best of all worlds" stance from a few years ago.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Also, Trek, Giant and Specialized (in spite of 142+) have both taken up the boost banner, and if memory serves, it was a Trek development to begin with. Don't count on them saying they got it wrong and jumping over to a new standard any time soon...I mean look at how slow Giant have been with getting onto 29ers after their little "Goldilocks wheelsize is best of all worlds" stance from a few years ago.
https://www.bikeradar.com/au/mtb/ge...ndard-what-it-is-and-where-it-is-going-51686/

Feels like the bike brands are not liking it (probably too short development timeframe for their frames given the product cycles are more than 2 years). but the component folks seem to love it.

Back on topic, Rebel sport still have some cheap crappy stuff. I grabbed a fistfull of rear knog lights.

https://www.rebelsport.com.au/sports/cycling?srule=price-ascending&segment=2&page=1

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in need of an external 31.6mm dropper if anyone knows of any bargains going around. Prefer something that's got a fixed position hose (eg. KS Lev)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Slider,
If Moorey doesn't sort you out I've got a mint (literally) KS Lev Ti 125mm dropper in 30.9 sitting in a cupboard.
Bought it 3 years ago to use on my 100mm XC bike. Genuinely used it two (maybe three) rides but just didn't gel with the dropper on that bike.
Paid $460.

Flick me a PM if you are interested.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slider,
If Moorey doesn't sort you out I've got a mint (literally) KS Lev Ti 125mm dropper in 30.9 sitting in a cupboard.
Bought it 3 years ago to use on my 100mm XC bike. Genuinely used it two (maybe three) rides but just didn't gel with the dropper on that bike.
Paid $460.

Flick me a PM if you are interested.
Ooh interesting. External routed job? You will be hearing from me over the weekend most likely

Also, my Rudy Projects rocked up today. Got the white with photochromatic lenses for 30 bucks delivered. Got one quick look at them before the wife promptly packed them in her bag and left for Melbourne (to run a half marathon). Guess I won't be testing them out this weekend then...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Ooh interesting. External routed job? You will be hearing from me over the weekend most likely

Also, my Rudy Projects rocked up today. Got the white with photochromatic lenses for 30 bucks delivered. Got one quick look at them before the wife promptly packed them in her bag and left for Melbourne (to run a half marathon). Guess I won't be testing them out this weekend then...
Yep, external routing.

I got the same RP glasses. They are very similar to the other RP ones I have had for 18 months and use as commuting and mtb glasses. I prefer a larger lens for the road bike but these are fine for the mtb etc.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it just me or the clear RP lens isn't very clear, and doesn't get very dark. Ive only tested aafew mornings drive to work but its kind of in between and not so useful for low light or bright light. Red ones are good though, reminds me of a nice bronze/copper lens with good contrast and depth perception. Feel a bit euro wearing them tho with massive mono brow type frame.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine arrived too and I'm yet to try them. They look nice enough and the unbreakable lenses are a nice touch. Very pleased with the product at that price but will reserve judgement until I hit the trail.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep, external routing.

I got the same RP glasses. They are very similar to the other RP ones I have had for 18 months and use as commuting and mtb glasses. I prefer a larger lens for the road bike but these are fine for the mtb etc.
Sounds like you’re sorted with dropper. Mine owes me $230, and I’ve never even fitted it, aside from buying a new mast, planning to convert to 30.9. Would have been looking for closer to $200, but Creakys sounds like the go.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys, bought Creakys

I'd like up say it's the last thing I need to buy for that bike but let's be honest, no one's ever finished with a build

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Cheers guys, bought Creakys

I'd like up say it's the last thing I need to buy for that bike but let's be honest, no one's ever finished with a build
Lucky you bought that post in case my missus notices the $900 hibike order that went through last night (unlikely) !

Do love that cotic.