Bargain buys thread

moorey

call me Mia
Which PNW post is a BrandX? I thought they made their own stuff. Notices the Raceface re-branding in a review once. Even the remote was exactly the same
Only one of the 5" models, can't remember if the internal or external. @Hipstar bought one, and noticed it, having also just purchased a Brand/TransX.(pretty sure external, for his Five)This was 12-18 months ago, might not be a thing any more.
I like PNW, and yes, they do seem to make a selling point out of manufacturing their product.

RF was exact in every way. Box, instructions, components.....just rebranded and doubled in price. I am led to believe that a few of the RF lower end items are generic rebranded items.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thoughts on this? This may scratch the steel hardtail itch that I have....
I reckon I could talk them under $3k
not sure on that, already a decent discount, hot, but the purple colour is hotter, earlier torrent is the 1 bike i regret selling, still faster on the descents on it than a couple duallies

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've already got a purple Norco Optic, people will start talking if I have two purple bikes. Also the purple one has a poxy fork on it, it's only $700 more for actual brakes and a decent fork, works for me.
I'll go full lebo and offer them cash now best price fucking

slowmick

38-39"
@komdotkom - have you seen this? I agree it looks awesome. Just may not be the swiss army knife of hardtails.

That said the reviewers like the honzo and this guy is not so keen.

Can't please all people I guess.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
If you've got an Optic as an allrounder, why not go hardcore on the hardtail though? :)

Obligatory "have a look at the new Cotic BFe" comment...

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
@komdotkom - have you seen this? I agree it looks awesome. Just may not be the swiss army knife of hardtails.

That said the reviewers like the honzo and this guy is not so keen.

Can't please all people I guess.
To be fair, the u - toob Honzo guy is a fucking punter. Didn’t Fearon win an enduro race on one?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I had a look at the Pink Bike review when it came out, seemed ok but a bit slow up hills due to the weight. I'll upgrade the wheels immediately which will help things, so it might be 12-13kg.
There's not much around in the interesting hardtail market without dropping serious money. I'm a huge exponent of the false economy of purchasing a less than ideal bike then spending more than what your paid for it on upgrades, feels like you're doing the right thing.... For something that's just a purchase on a whim I can justify $4k all up, after that I would really have to want it before I shelled out the cash.

I really wanted a Nordest Bardino Ti (or even steel) but now they are direct to customer and that doesn't really appeal to me, if it cracks I want someone to get angry with in Australia. I would also love a Lynskey Pro 29 but the exchange rate has fucked that idea. I've looked at the Commencal but the spec is shit for the money, so is the Honzo DL and I can't bring myself to get a Santa Cruz.
Suggestions welcome!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A friend has the torrent. It looks to be a pretty capable bike. Almost reminiscent of the shore hardtails that Norco used to put out in the freeride or die era.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at the geo chart it's the same as my optic but with a longer fork.
I'll drop past the shop and have a squizz tomorrow.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
If you insist on riding a hardtail, why not one of these.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
If you insist on riding a hardtail, why not one of these.

way overpriced - i did meet will testing it at harcourt though,the thing he liked was the way the 29x2.6 tyres made it ride, climbs well too