BARJARG, Vic. -- RESULTS and RACE REPORT

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Race Report:
By: Steven Mathews

Four weeks after Long Gully was blown into a dusty, fiery pit of doom, the traveling circus that is the Victorian State Series rocked up at the little town of Barjarg. And by little town, I mean Barjarg is a general store on the side of a highway for no apparent reason, but I digress.

This second round of the VSS, hosted by SMBP, drew similarly huge numbers to the first round, with nearly 270 entries. Riders came from far and wide – and I mean that, we’re talking “Western Australia” far and wide - just to ride this manliest of manly tracks. Not to take anything away from the girls who raced, but there is no denying that riding Barjarg requires balls in either a literal or a figurative sense.

The track is full on from the word go, if you’re not turtling your pants in a steep rock chute, you’re hucking over or into other rocks at high speed, and the pace is relentless. Flowing berms, rocks, steep sections, rocks, jumps, more rocks, off camber, even more rocks, the track has enough to test anyone’s mettle. Unfortunately the demanding nature of the track took its toll, with plenty of flat tyres, lots of derailleur carnage and worst of all, a few serious injuries requiring the ambos. Best wishes to anyone who got hurt.

Transport was well coordinated as has been the norm for the Vic Series the past couple of seasons, but the huge turnout meant shuttle queues were unavoidable. The event was run smoothly, and there’s not much to dislike about on-site camping with MTB movies played on a projector on Saturday night! It also seems that Victorian downhill has entered the glam-rock phase, with Gobby and Patto, who wished to remain anonymous, inadvertently starting the Pimpest Motorhome competition. Hard to argue with a full-size coach, yet a trailer featuring a double bed as well as kitchen, toilet, shower and bike storage certainly wins some points for fully-sickness.

The clock ticked over to Race Day O’Clock and everyone who’d been on the piss the previous night was up by the crack of 10:30, whilst many riders were ready to roll on the first shuttles at 7:30. A few practice runs, a few more mechanicals, a couple more injuries and it was time to race. Will Gower of WA, and Mikkael Kinnunen, also of WA, qualified fastest in U19s and Elite respectively, with almost identical times of 2:58. A few of the usual big hitters in Elite took themselves out in their qualifying runs, with Jarah Breese not making the cut, nor Trevwah Burke after injuring his thumb.

The Expert men laid down some very respectable qualifying times, notably with Ash Parry setting a time that would have qualified him in Elite… on a singlespeed hardtail. Karl Peel blew away the rest of the veteran men with a time that would have qualified him second in elite, despite having no chain for about 80% of the track, with Barjarg’s track builder, hucker smurf and allen key courier Ben Watkins taking second, while Leonie Picton cruised to another 20+ second victory in the Elite Women.

Race runs for the quick blokes rolled around quicker than expected given the huge rider turnout, maybe due to the large number of injury/mechanical-related DNS’s. Fastest Expert qualifier James Hunt took out Expert by a big margin, with a stonkingly fast 3:01 that would have put him 6th place in Elite. Mikkael Kinnunen knocked 4 seconds off his qualifying time to take out Elite men with a flying 2:54, but even this was trumped by Will Gower’s time of 2:53 which took out U19s with the fastest time of the day.

Another awesome race on another sick, sick track. Great weather, top notch organization, drunken campfire shenanigans and lots of rocks - to those who didn’t bother going this time: don’t miss it again! See you all at Baw Baw.

----------------------

The results are up on www.smbp.com.au

Last edited:

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
Sick weekend. And a massive shout out to all they guys and gals at SMBP and all the other volenteers who helped out.
That has got to be the most punishing track ive ever ridden, best track to ride, but its a killer to race.

-Brent

Harrytmad20

Likes Dirt
big thanks to SMPB doing a really good job on hosting the event and thank you to first aid who stretched me to the ambulance. sick track can't wait to do it again

Last edited:

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Yeah Sam! Good work on getting the results up so fast! Awesome weekend, ran smoothly, and was an awesome atmosphere =]

Top work, and unbelievable track ;)

FatYZ0

Likes Dirt
Nice work on getting the results up so fast Sam. The weekend was awsome and ran nice and smooth. and the changes in the track were sweet as.

norcotim

Likes Dirt
great weekend for all involved thanks sam, Will gower is a mega pinner smashed 19's and would of won elite that kid is going places see everyone at baw baw

Ozza

Eats Squid
Sam, if you dont put a bid in for the nationals next year I will cut my balls off! Half of Victoria will be happy to get behind ya.

maxybon1234

Likes Dirt
Big thanks to SMBP and all for putting together such an awsome weekend, and thanks Sam for getting up the results damn quick. This was an awsome track and I can't wait to ride it again, it was just a top notch track - best I've ever ridden, so cheers guys and gals.

Max

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
barjarg

yeah and id just like to say a genuine sorry to the four guys i screamed at/abused/got stuck behind in my race run. didnt expect to actually catch anyone....... let alone four riders. it just got a bit frustrating as it was my only run on the day. sorry lads. im going back to elite, and so should you karl peel/sand bagger :)

glad everyone had a good weekend and cheers to those drivers marshals and helpers, we were swamped as it was but would have been worse without them.

and cheers to all the riders who came. it was wicked to see so many there.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
im going back to elite, and so should you karl peel/sand bagger :)
apparently Karl lost his chain in the first rock chute too..... :eek:

1st time i've actually made it to Barjarg. definitely a man's track... unfortunately when i got there i realised i'd only packed my vagina...

need to ride my DH bike more!

S.

ex offender
Sick weekend, still the best/manliest racetrack in Vic and the event was awesome as usual. Cheers heaps Benny for bringing me tools at the last second so I could do a race run with a functioning derailleur!

Sucks about all the people who got injured though... anyone got news on that kid (Josh Anderson I think?) who apparently had spinal injuries? Hope everyone who copped damage to their bikes/bodies there heals up quick.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sick weekend, still the best/manliest racetrack in Vic and the event was awesome as usual. Cheers heaps Benny for bringing me tools at the last second so I could do a race run with a functioning derailleur!
The last minute mechanic made it, good stuff Steve, pinning run from someone obviously man-er than me. :) Props to Karl for his effort too, the mans mojo is back...

Was a great atmosphere and track to match, so good to see that many riders turning up to race in Vic on such a tech track. Well done SMBP.

Last edited: