Barry 2 - Electric Boogaloo

ausdb

Being who he is
@Plankosaurus I take back my earlier comments about the grips and bar colour. I didn't realise this was the plan, it's awesome!
Let's hope one day Barry could make his way over to the West.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Had to run a couple or errands yesterday and the sun was shinning so why not give the ‘Electric Boogaloo’ a treat and take him for a spin. Except it was me that was in for the treat.

We cruised the Merri Creek for a bit and stopped on the way home to grab a few cheeky beers.

Full ride report to come but let’s just say that Barry is unapologetically sassy.

Attachments

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Had to run a couple or errands yesterday and the sun was shinning so why not give the ‘Electric Boogaloo’ a treat and take him for a spin. Except it was me that was in for the treat.

We cruised the Merri Creek for a bit and stopped on the way home to grab a few cheeky beers.

Full ride report to come but let’s just say that Barry is unapologetically sassy.

View attachment 372989
View attachment 372990
Did Barry like being locked up?

yuley95

Ride report time...

First rule of the ‘Electric Boogaloo’ is - dress the part. I reached for my orange shorts, fluro yellow gloves, high top chucks and stripy socks to hit the trails on this handsome son-of-a-bitch.

Took him to some Yarra trails and even treated him to some jumps. The good news is, the bandaid over the weld in the seat stay held up well but I did stop short of attempting the 20 foot gap.

Set up was easy - i got on and started riding. I’m not sure there is any adjustment that works on the suspension so i didn't bother. You’ve heard terms like ‘supple off the top with good mid-stroke support’ and ‘buttery smooth’ and ‘tracks uneven ground like a cat on carpet’. Barry has not heard these sayings. Nor is he familiar with something referred to by the upper classes as ‘damping’.

The fork tops out with a loud ‘clunk’ to remind you, you’re in the air and having fun. There is a distinct lack of balance between front and back. In fact, I would say that Barry is all party up front and serious efficiency out back. The fork is easy to get moving and gives up plenty of travel as you stomp the pedals while the back hold firm and waits for the big hits to arrive. Even then, it presents a stiff upper lip and refuses to give in to the laws of physics by compressing more than it’s prepared to.

Brakes are good. The back is better than the front which makes ‘backing it in’ to the corner the default setting. There is a super tacky Maxxis shorty upfront and a Minion SS out back. In a cunning move, @Plankosaurus sourced a rare Shorty SS version that is almost completely bald in the centre with edge knobs still in tact. This makes for very low rolling resistance and good cornering.

The chain line is a little funky in the lowest gears but a big chainring and sweet XT drivetrain means things stay pretty smooth and shift well.

At 190cm, the large actually fits me pretty well. Seat tube is slack so smaller riders will find themselves closer to the bars which should work well for a range of riders and sizes.

All in all ‘Electric Boogaloo’ is great fun and an awesome project. Thanks heaps @Plankosaurus . I’ll be passing him on to @Chriso_29er soon (I’ll PM you mate) and would highly recommend others jumping on board when you can. Add some stickers, take him for a spin and tell us a story. Most of all - have fun!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Ride report time...

First rule of the ‘Electric Boogaloo’ is - dress the part. I reached for my orange shorts, fluro yellow gloves, high top chucks and stripy socks to hit the trails on this handsome son-of-a-bitch.

Took him to some Yarra trails and even treated him to some jumps. The good news is, the bandaid over the weld in the seat stay held up well but I did stop short of attempting the 20 foot gap.

Set up was easy - i got on and started riding. I’m not sure there is any adjustment that works on the suspension so i didn't bother. You’ve heard terms like ‘supple off the top with good mid-stroke support’ and ‘buttery smooth’ and ‘tracks uneven ground like a cat on carpet’. Barry has not heard these sayings. Nor is he familiar with something referred to by the upper classes as ‘damping’.

The fork tops out with a loud ‘clunk’ to remind you, you’re in the air and having fun. There is a distinct lack of balance between front and back. In fact, I would say that Barry is all party up front and serious efficiency out back. The fork is easy to get moving and gives up plenty of travel as you stomp the pedals while the back hold firm and waits for the big hits to arrive. Even then, it presents a stiff upper lip and refuses to give in to the laws of physics by compressing more than it’s prepared to.

Brakes are good. The back is better than the front which makes ‘backing it in’ to the corner the default setting. There is a super tacky Maxxis shorty upfront and a Minion SS out back. In a cunning move, @Plankosaurus sourced a rare Shorty SS version that is almost completely bald in the centre with edge knobs still in tact. This makes for very low rolling resistance and good cornering.

The chain line is a little funky in the lowest gears but a big chainring and sweet XT drivetrain means things stay pretty smooth and shift well.

At 190cm, the large actually fits me pretty well. Seat tube is slack so smaller riders will find themselves closer to the bars which should work well for a range of riders and sizes.

All in all ‘Electric Boogaloo’ is great fun and an awesome project. Thanks heaps @Plankosaurus . I’ll be passing him on to @Chriso_29er soon (I’ll PM you mate) and would highly recommend others jumping on board when you can. Add some stickers, take him for a spin and tell us a story. Most of all - have fun!

View attachment 373144
View attachment 373145
View attachment 373146
Holy crap, I can't believe you got airborne on this monstrosity

Amazing ride report, that'll be hard to top

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Isildur

The Real Pedant
If Barry The Second ever makes it up to Sydney, I'll definitely show him around some of the local Northern Sydney tech... If anywhere can test his mettle, it's here with our various levels of trails - Rocky Tech, Rocky Flow, Flowy Rock, Flowy Tech and, not to forget, Janky Flow!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Barry seemed like a good idea to get me on the trails while still awaiting suspension repairs on my Trance, Funnily enough it turned up the day Barry became available lol. Regardless @yuley95 kindly offered to drop him off, so I still jumped at the chance to show Barry around my local trails of Silvan.

So glad I did, what a funny experience. Awesome work @Plankosaurus

So I load Barry up on the car for a trip out to Silvan, he and all his 2008 cool must have liked that idea as I got in the car and he'd already had the Stereo set up ‘Loud’ pumping a bit of old school Pantera! I then got to the trails to find he wanted to relive the 2008 glory days and had sneakily swapped my trail helmet for the full face!

So we hit the trails and it instantly becomes obvious that he is not exactly a climber, his 38 front 32 rear granny causing me to bust a lung heading up the steep climbs of Silvan.

Its then I’ve set up on the trail taking a quick model shot of Barry and I suddenly hear from behind me “is that Barry” he was instantly recognizable with his pink grips and cranks haha. Awesome to meet @CHEWY in the wild, the pleasure was all Barry’s! Thanks for the tow the rest of the way up JJ’s lol.

It’s there things got interesting, Barry in his element. Got to watch the tyres, almost none existent rear suspension, and zero damped very soft fork but otherwise he lapped it up haha. Down JJ’s trail even enjoying some of the bigger gaps. His front brake even started to come good!

From there we took the fun creek side trails and climb up to Lyre Lyre, which has lots of chunky rocks and fun berms. On the climb up it became apparent that you will never feel lonely riding with Barry, there is the constant sound of birds chirping that oddly sound like their under you, then there is also the soothing sounds of being followed by a kids trampoline.

It was on Lyre Lyre Barry had is first little mechanical, dropping his chain.
With no clutch, got to watch the lower ends of the cassette. He loves to stay in the middle range when things get rough. It was a little damp of this side of the mountain and slippery clay, but Barry kept his composure all the way down, hucking all the big drops and even steered me onto the skinny log at the end of the trail.

By the end of it I think his rear shock had even started to free up a little and actually felt like he had rear suspension!

Jump on board, such a fun experience, great work Dale. I can’t wait to see him spread himself far and wide and go on some fun experiences.

Now on to the next victim!

Hit me up if you're heading to any of the east side Melbourne trails, happy to bring him out to meet you. He'll have control of the car stereo of course!
I'm also out at Mulgrave, and think I've got a visit out Geelong way soonish.

Last edited:

yuley95

Full commitment @Chriso_29er Nice work. You squeezed more out of Barry than i dared (and climbed more vert than i ever could with that 38t chainring). Great photos too.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Full commitment @Chriso_29er Nice work. You squeezed more out of Barry than i dared (and climbed more vert than i ever could with that 38t chainring). Great photos too.
He was an experience that's for sure. I'll enjoy going back onto my wide range cassette this weekend. (And functioning suspension)

So Barry has had a bit of a clean up after his fun in the Silvan mud, and being the big softy he is (well forks anyway haha) has decided he wants to save the whales.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I could possibly make it a little more ridable, just dug out an rp2 that should fit him.

...or would that ruin the experience somewhat?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Chriso_29er do you still have Barry?

I might grab him back and see about upgrading that rear shock, maybe see if I can get some semblance of damping happening up front too