Training Log base training mtb

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Have recently been seeing an applied kinesiologist for back problems, I have been cycling for years sans glute muscles, practitioner is resetting systems but I'm down 20+ watts, need to rebuild some base..
For those who build base seriously on mostly mtb how do you avoid getting hr up, my local fire rdS sth of me invariably have 10% sections, macedon mtb trails steep, local xc trails washed out...should I go ride rd or is it ok to bounce HR up constantly?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Road/path commute to work used to be the easiest way to build my endurance (I'm 18 months out of shape now though). And MTB pinch climbs are hard to avoid around my area as well. But if it's one or two smallish hills, just ignore them. I figure if you are into the training enough to have a coach, then do whatever the coach says. If not, just ride more than you have been. If you feel like riding on dirt, just do it. Walk hills if you have to. Might not be 'optimal', but neither is anything else you're likely doing.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Have recently been seeing an applied kinesiologist for back problems, I have been cycling for years sans glute muscles, practitioner is resetting systems but I'm down 20+ watts, need to rebuild some base..
For those who build base seriously on mostly mtb how do you avoid getting hr up, my local fire rdS sth of me invariably have 10% sections, macedon mtb trails steep, local xc trails washed out...should I go ride rd or is it ok to bounce HR up constantly?
Gearing is my way to limit HR. Sit and spin. Brief periods of highish HR isn't going to change the result too much if the rest of the ride is long enough.

Just for clarity, you know HR isn't the be all and end all? Power output is the critical factor. I don't and probably won't use a power meter, all my training is HR informed perceived exertion.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I have a stationary trainer session that's 12 minute intervals of low cadence stomping.
You gear as HARD as you can (<65RPM) and keep your HR low

Daniel Hale

I have a stationary trainer session that's 12 minute intervals of low cadence stomping.
You gear as HARD as you can (<65RPM) and keep your HR low
i hate trainers ..more than riding on the road, maybe i’ll just suck it up

ps how do you gear HARD & keep hr low, at present i’m outputting less watts than moorey on a 29er ebike

Last edited:

Scotty675

Cable thief
I'm interested to hear what people are doing to up there k's. I could never do the numbers most could but I'd like to crack a ton this year. I don't have the time to ride these days so normally only get one or two rides a week. I've been slowing the pace and just turning the legs over. Saturday I hit 82 with a bit more elevation to the weekend before. I could hit 90 comfortable without a headwind home and more time to not have to up the pace. Is it best to just keep turning the legs over? Or up the intensity and ride a few less k's

Daniel Hale

I'm interested to hear what people are doing to up there k's. I could never do the numbers most could but I'd like to crack a ton this year. I don't have the time to ride these days so normally only get one or two rides a week. I've been slowing the pace and just turning the legs over. Saturday I hit 82 with a bit more elevation to the weekend before. I could hit 90 comfortable without a headwind home and more time to not have to up the pace. Is it best to just keep turning the legs over? Or up the intensity and ride a few less k's
i’ve been reading best to turn legs over more, & then do specific very high intensity, above threshold...try to avoid lots of sub threshold

bear the bear

Is a real bear
These day's is all about the gravel miles, in the past, it was road miles. Gravel miles are just safer and more fun

Scotty675

Cable thief
These day's is all about the gravel miles, in the past, it was road miles. Gravel miles are just safer and more fun
I'm not a fan of road k's. Got knocked off my bike 3 years ago (hit and run), still get nervous so stay away. So far I am linking together a loop of bike track, gravel and dirt for some elevation. Once things open back up I'll have more options with linking trails.