BASIC Rockshox Monarch RT3 rear shock set-up and tuning guide

terraburn

Squid
G'day all,
Here is a BASIC Rockshox Monarch RT3 rear shock set-up and tuning guide that I put together for anyone who needs it.
No info came with my bike, nor in any online manual, so I compiled a basic set of notes. It's just a SIMPLE starting place for playing around with your suspension set-up. Based on a 2012 model but it will probably help for other models. I originally posted it on mtbr.com and got some rep/thanks, so also posting it here for Aussies...

You can find it here:
lighttouchchiropractic.com.au/manly-mountain-bikers-rockshox-monarch-set-tuning-guide/

Hope it helps.

noel0409

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the info, I have one of these on my bike and find it a bit sticky on small movements, the adjustments don't seem to make much difference (especially when compared to my mates fox shock) I want to pull it down and give it a service but I need a valve adapter for to re-pressure the inner air chamber. Any idea where I could get one of them?
There's a bit of info on youtube and the Sram site as well for these shocks.
Noel

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I bought the air valve adaptor from my lbs. it's a genuine rockshox part. Cost me $16.
SRAM will have it in stock, your lbs will need to order it in.

terraburn

Squid
I bought the air valve adaptor from my lbs. it's a genuine rockshox part. Cost me $16.
SRAM will have it in stock, your lbs will need to order it in.
Yeah it looks like this...
Check google for more threads and more info on using it. Apparently if you drop the pressure too much oil can migrate from one area to an area that is isn't mean to be in... Then you may have a disassemble and clean-up job on your hands... I haven't done any of this myself but the info is out there, take care / good luck with it.

Can't see if image pasted, here is a link to what adaptor looks like:
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/sh...monarch-ifp-air-fill-valve-adapter-tl6594.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

needaride

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the write up & tips - got one of these on my Craftworks FRX, have been pretty happy with it so far, although I think it may be leaking air as it seems to lose pressure after a ride or two? Anyone had this experience?

terraburn

Squid
Thanks for the write up & tips - got one of these on my Craftworks FRX, have been pretty happy with it so far, although I think it may be leaking air as it seems to lose pressure after a ride or two? Anyone had this experience?
YES.
I went to ride my bike one day and as I jumped on it it just went "fssst" and the suspension fully compressed. LBS pulled opened it but said it wasn't the part they can fix (very good LBS mechanics too) They sent it to Rockshox express post and they rebuilt it with a quick turn around (Syd to Melb and back). I was concerned at the time but was told there is a 2y warranty on it so it was fixed for free. Get it looked at ASAP.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Mine lost air pressure from new. It went back under warranty and I was told it was a known issue and an updates seal was put in. It's been perfect since.

noel0409

Likes Bikes
mine doesn't leak any air that i've noticed, pretty good shock all round I'ld just like to get it a bit more responsive on little movements

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
mine doesn't leak any air that i've noticed, pretty good shock all round I'ld just like to get it a bit more responsive on little movements
You'd notice if it was loosing air. But the funny thing is, mine didn't do it consistently. Sometimes it seemed fine for weeks, other times it would lose a lot of air over night.

After a little over 12 months of use my shock was feeling pretty stiff and had lost its small bump sensitivity. After a service it feels super smooth, but I'm yet to ride it to see if that translates to a smoother ride on the trail.
Bikes done about 2400km of xc.

Get yourself some Slick Honey or Slickoleum grease. I also bought 1L of shock oil so I have plenty for future use. I also needed a high pressure shock pump to get the 500psi into the ifp.