Batemans Bay, Mogo etc

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

Earlier this year my wife and I booked a townhouse for 2 weeks at Sunshine Bay, just south of Batemans. At the time I was only road riding and didn't realise this area is mountain bike nirvana! I've done some searching and found a lot of info relating to snake track at Mogo and the trails used in the angry doctor; also found a google map with the Angry doctor course laid out. I've got a couple of questions I was hoping a few of you maybe able to help out with.

If riding from Sunshine bay, should I just head out towards deep creek reservoir and join the trail there? I haven't done a lot of single track but from the youtube clips I've watched most of it seems straightforward. What is the general condition of the trails in the area?

One last Q: what are the fire/service trails like? I was hoping to do some longer endurance based rides.

Many thanks
C

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Head straight up to the corner of ridge road and dog trap road, this is where you will find all the action. The singletrack running next to ridge road is called 'little andrews', you can follow this virtually all the way to the Princes highway (there's a nice lookout overlooking the bay).

There's also singletrack which runs for ages parallel to dog trap road, you will see it turning off at the start of little Andrews. I would do these as 2 separate rides but you could do them all in one go I guess. The tracks in this part are a little scrappy in places, but overall pretty good and for some reason bloody underutilised (I guess everyone rides the snake track loop). Lots of good firetrails too, definitely worth an explore.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Head straight up to the corner of ridge road and dog trap road, this is where you will find all the action. The singletrack running next to ridge road is called 'little andrews', you can follow this virtually all the way to the Princes highway (there's a nice lookout overlooking the bay).

There's also singletrack which runs for ages parallel to dog trap road, you will see it turning off at the start of little Andrews. I would do these as 2 separate rides but you could do them all in one go I guess. The tracks in this part are a little scrappy in places, but overall pretty good and for some reason bloody underutilised (I guess everyone rides the snake track loop). Lots of good firetrails too, definitely worth an explore.
Thanks Slimjim that gives me a good starting point... geez I picked well with our accommodation! Do the dirt roads such as Ridge road and the others throughout the forest get much vehicle traffic?

Cheers
C

slimjim1

Ridge road does get some traffic and some motos as well, I haven't encountered traffic on any of the other firetails but then again I mostly stick to the singletracks.

D_Nine

Ulladulla also has some nice singletrack. Check in with Bart at Mountain Cycles Ulladulla, I think they still do Thurs night shop rides.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt

These trails are awesome and can easily be ridden in one big there and back ride.
If you are after endurance the track running parallel to dog trap road runs all the way to Mogo Trig Road which can lead you out the fire roads on the western side of the highway here you can really stretch your legs out.
For an endurance ride I once got dropped off at the Trail head on Maulbrooks fire road, did the big loop there and then came back through Mogo and along the Dog Trap Rd sniggle back to Batehaven where my in laws live. All up I was out for about 3-4 hours with some bloody awesome single track.

slimjim1

Have fun, keep an eye out for the red bellies, and make sure you still sneak a loop in over at maulbrooks.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Slimjim, do you know of any single track in the murumarang national park?
For the last 3 years I've stayed at the resort just as you enter the National Park, so I've
had to drive to maulbrooks or just rode the fire trails in the park.

slimjim1

Slimjim, do you know of any single track in the murumarang national park?
For the last 3 years I've stayed at the resort just as you enter the National Park, so I've
had to drive to maulbrooks or just rode the fire trails in the park.
Nah not familiar with the area sorry mate

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
I've ridden round the firetrails in Murramarang a fair bit but have only found some pretty overgrown straightish tracks I'm guessing from motos. There are some steep rutted out trails towards the Maloneys beach end that can be a bit of fun.

Canberra off road cyclists also used to run a downhill race off Big-Bit Hill (on the other Western side of the Princess Hwy), haven't been for years and the trails were already overgrown back whenever it was- not sure if they have been used but its a nice view from the top if you want to go for an explore.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Yeah, last time I was down there, I saw some of those moto trails and had a bit of a sticky beak, I
was hoping there may have been some single over the Maloneys side, I'll just stick to maulbrooks
and this time dog trap as well. .....it's always a pleasant surprise to find out your family holiday is
surrounded buy top quality single track :clap2: