Bathurst MTB Park, Pictures and videos of the build.

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Finally figured out a not so painful way of putting images up. Please note that the wood work is still very much in progress, the A line needs to be tidied up, and the B line doesn't really exist yet except for the supports and lines which are difficult to see.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are really getting into it down there. I don't want to seem critical, but unless you remove all that soil and grass from the outslope you are going to have rivers running along the trail to bog holes at every low point. It would be a tragedy to have to go back and extensively modify the trails after a heavy storm. It's always easier to get it right when building than trying to get it right later.

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
You are really getting into it down there. I don't want to seem critical, but unless you remove all that soil and grass from the outslope you are going to have rivers running along the trail to bog holes at every low point. It would be a tragedy to have to go back and extensively modify the trails after a heavy storm. It's always easier to get it right when building than trying to get it right later.
I generally do run clean up along the edges of the trail after the days work is done. Didn't do it yesterday because we had been there all day and were buggered, I forgot. Its first on the list for next time.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Wow, I did not realise there was a track at Bathurst, it looks awesome. As I'm in Orange it's nice and close too! Will have to come have a look when I get a chance.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon you should leave those uneven edges on that boardwalk too, looks awesome!

notime

Likes Dirt
My son and I dropped in on the way out to the Back Yamma on Saturday. We had ridden the origional bit a couple of times before when visiting Bathurst and loved it.

We managed a 7.7km loop I think so I assume we rode the lot and then did another loop for good measure, even all the unfinished stuff like where the trail is just dead grass was fun, and WOW the views over the back. I can't wait till it's all finished, I'd definately drive the 2 hours from my place to ride it regularly and absolutely be there for a big race. It would also have be one of the best trails for spectators come race day.

Well done to all involved!!

Patio

Likes Bikes
Great work guys. I'll be up at Bathurst just after Xmas. Can't wait to get out there.

BTW, how's the magpies around the track at this time of year? I was riding around the Bathurst roads this time last year and remember the maggies were really fierce!!

Patio

Likes Bikes
Great work guys. I will be out at Bathurst just after Xmas. Can't wait to knock out a few laps.

BTW, how are the magpies out at the track at the moment? I was riding the roads around Bathurst this time last year and remember the maggies were fierce!

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
My son and I dropped in on the way out to the Back Yamma on Saturday. We had ridden the origional bit a couple of times before when visiting Bathurst and loved it.

We managed a 7.7km loop I think so I assume we rode the lot and then did another loop for good measure, even all the unfinished stuff like where the trail is just dead grass was fun, and WOW the views over the back. I can't wait till it's all finished, I'd definately drive the 2 hours from my place to ride it regularly and absolutely be there for a big race. It would also have be one of the best trails for spectators come race day.

Well done to all involved!!
Thanks man, always great to hear of new people riding it. When we get the clubhouse link in, a full lap is going to be around 9-10km. Stage 4 will add another 2km to that. I have also got plans for some additional runs down from the top of the hill. Depending on what happens with the road, and the other facilities being built, we could have an additional 3 runs down from the top. On top of this we're currently in talks with the council about getting access to the even bigger hill to the south east! if we get access to that, we'd be looking at a park size of around 25km, as well as a possible DH run of something like 4km. Of course, you'd have to ride up there to get to it. :D

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
More bridge work today, the A and B lines are so close to being done, I can taste the fear! We would have had it finished today except that the drills just didn't last the day on battery power, 2 battery packs each were not enough. There's now only about 2 metres left to build of the B line, the final ramp down to the small (1ft) drop off. The A line is finished apart from the chicken ramp we have to put in, basically a steep ramp down so that you can roll off the end of it instead of dropping. There were safety concerns about the 3ft+ drop into a corner, and since the bridge isn't wide enough to stop and step off the bike on, we decided to make it a (difficult) roll out. You can still very much drop off the end, the ramp is just for those who get up there, panic, and need to get off without hurting themselves. Pictures now, Video soon.

The below images are of the B line, the first image shows the approach, the A line is to the left, B to the right.

The final part to be done is the ramp down from the bridge on the left to the log at the bottom centre, then it drops off.

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Today's video. Totally shouldn't have moved the camera at the end... also building wood features takes for ever... or at least we suck at it.

[video=youtube_share;vvnMQFK5GNw]http://youtu.be/vvnMQFK5GNw[/video]

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Finished the bridge work today, though we didn't put in the chicken run for the A line, given we're not entirely sure about where the transition will be, so we're holding off on that one for some more input. Both A and B lines are totally rideable now, the A line only requires that you commit to dropping off the end. haha.

[video=youtube_share;MhbBQIG7lSE]http://youtu.be/MhbBQIG7lSE[/video]

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Started building the berms along the downhill run today. We completed one of the 11 that will be on the current trail. When the club house link trail is created, the downhill run from the top of the hill to the clubhouse will be over a kilometre long, and have upwards of 15 bermed corners, as well as a multitude of jumps, drops, and other fun stuff. Big things have small beginnings as they say.
No video today because the camera turned itself off after 3 minutes for some reason. Will hopefully get some tomorrow.

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Day two of berm building. I spent 8 hours there today digging and bloody hell am I tired. We got two more berms done, and probably the biggest one in the park. Only 8 more to go!

[video=youtube_share;lo1TksrRDI4]http://youtu.be/lo1TksrRDI4[/video]

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
A very short video today, as I forgot to turn the camera on for the first half of the shenanigans. This is a catch berm for the A line drop. Whilst we had planned to do this anyway, people were riding the A line and having a blast, however a few had overshot the corner and ended up in the thistle bush. Hopefully now it should be a bit safer.

What we really need at the moment however, is rain to firm up the new berms. Of course there's none of that forecast for the foreseeable future. We should be getting a mobile water tank and pump in this weekend, which will allow us to firm them up that way.

[video=youtube_share;-jDSgpfWM-4]http://youtu.be/-jDSgpfWM-4[/video]

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Another day, another berm done. This one tightens down into a water bar that the trail crosses. There will either be a rock garden or low bridge here which will keep the rider out of the inevitable mud which will occur. For now though the berm is done and just needs to be watered. Today was also a bit of a personal test to see if I could finish a berm on my own, and how long it would take. Turns out the answers are yes, and about 4 hours.

[video=youtube_share;2gE1jz0JalQ]http://youtu.be/2gE1jz0JalQ[/video]

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Only 2 more to go... After that all that is required on stage 3 will be smoothing some of the entrance and climb, as well as cutting in an A and B line in one area, which won't take long. The local club will be racing on it from this week onwards, or so I'm lead to believe. Its almost done.

After stage 3 is completed we will move onto the club house link. Which will be an extension of the stage 3 downhill run. Instead of rejoining stage 2 where it does, the trail will turn right away from it and continue down the hill towards the clubhouse. Though I haven't measured it yet, and the plot of the clubhouse link is only basic, I estimate this will double the length of the downhill run.

We also have some proper trail sign-age on the way, which will make navigating the park a hell of a lot easier.

Here are yesterdays pictures and video, we had a great turnout to help.

[video=youtube_share;ael6lmyf4g8]http://youtu.be/ael6lmyf4g8[/video]

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Its been 3 weeks since my last post on this thread. Lots has been happening and I haven't been filming anything recently. Mostly because at this stage we are in the final work periods on stage 3. Most of what we have been doing has been cleaning up existing trail and minor alterations based on rider feedback. I did however take the camera with me today because I was working on an interesting feature, or at least the start of it.
Before today only the C line of this pictured area has been available to ride. The C line cuts through the bushes to the left at the start of the video and skirts around the whole thing, its pretty fun and a bit fast. The B line, what we made today, goes right and drops into a natural cut out in the ground, about 5ft deep, and then rejoins the C line for the exit out of this low area. The A line is going to be a bridge over the top of the B line cut out area, so riders can simultaneously ride over and under one another. If it is timed right of course. The A line, whilst simple in design and construction, is a massive headache simply because of the materials required, and the location of the feature. This area is one of the most inaccessible in the entire park for vehicles, which we will need to transport the wood and beams to this location.

Hopefully we get the required heavy lifting done soon, and this awesome feature will be complete, but for now, here is a video and some pictures.

[video=youtube_share;8TnyQ3sxdU4]http://youtu.be/8TnyQ3sxdU4[/video]