Battery Storage? Also huge battery variation in usage?

Mitten

Likes Bikes
Hey all 2 questions..

Just wondering what people do with their eBike batteries on the 35+c days? My bike is kept in a 4m x 4m tin shed with my kids bikes that gets to oven temperature on hot days (even with some half assed insulation and a Whirlybird). I know through my RC heli days that lithium batteries hate heat and cold so I always had a dedicated insulated storage box. My home insurance has a disclaimer about storing and charging eBike batteries inside (=don't do it ;understandable)
Just wondering what some other options are? I was looking at getting a large lipo storage case from ebay that's just a plastic box and keep the battery in the carport although its not very secure but I live in a fairly regional area.

Also I'm just finding my Shimano EP6 504w battery very inconsistent with its depletion. My bikes only a few months old and has done around 600k, I'm big and overweight at 108kg but the last few rides around a favourite trail is giving me very inconsistent results. A ride last week was 36k, with a full charge, same lines, same eco/trail use and the same conditions I had about 40% battery left. A few days ago, exact same ride, same everything (I'm pretty consistent and slow) the battery was at 15% when I finished. It just depleted so quickly in the last 10k. Yet I charged it yesterday and repeated the same track, finished with over 35% left again.
I've noticed this a lot, 1 ride the battery depletion is very linear the next ride it is very inconsistent. Not sure if its a software error or other issue, I bought the bike online as well.

I was warned that fatbats like me should pay the extra for the 630w battery but I'm tight..

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Info is varied. I haven't checked what my insurance says, but I keep the battery for my e-cargo bike inside. I also charge it inside, but I don't leave it sitting on charge.
I'm in a similar boat where my shed gets stinking hot in summer and freezing cold in winter. With the added bonus that on frosty mornings we get water dripping from above as the ice melts. I think it's far better to store it inside than in extreme conditions.

The lipo case sounds like a good option. Could you put that into a metal lockbox either dynabolted to the ground or locked with a chain to a post in the shade in the carport?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Lithium battery fires can easily be deadly to occupants sleeping in a house, the hydrogen fluoride released from a 500Wh or larger pack can very easily exceed the lethal threshold for a typical three bedroom house.

Lithium Ion Cobalt cells want to be stored between -20 and +20 degrees c. A bar fridge outside is a great place set to 10c.

They want to be charged between 0 and 40 degrees c. Ideally charge at in the 10-20c window.

Do not charge when hot.

Do not charge when cold.

Here is the Panasonic NCR18650GA 3300mah data sheet. Take a look at page 17.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Also I'm just finding my Shimano EP6 504w battery very inconsistent with its depletion. My bikes only a few months old and has done around 600k, I'm big and overweight at 108kg but the last few rides around a favourite trail is giving me very inconsistent results. A ride last week was 36k, with a full charge, same lines, same eco/trail use and the same conditions I had about 40% battery left. A few days ago, exact same ride, same everything (I'm pretty consistent and slow) the battery was at 15% when I finished. It just depleted so quickly in the last 10k. Yet I charged it yesterday and repeated the same track, finished with over 35% left again.
I've noticed this a lot, 1 ride the battery depletion is very linear the next ride it is very inconsistent. Not sure if its a software error or other issue, I bought the bike online as well.

I was warned that fatbats like me should pay the extra for the 630w battery but I'm tight..
Going harder on the ride with bigger depletion ?

No experience with Shimano but Bosch in the Dynamic EMTB mode has help up to 600w peak, so with boost run on after you have stopped pedalling and peak blasts on tech sections, also pedalling on the downs, it will use more battery going harder than cruising around the trails.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The garage where my e-stuff lives rarely gets to 40 as it has good afternoon shade in summer. We follow the usual don't charge hot/cold/unattended/leave on when full. We are looking at a charging cabinet but they are not cheap for the proper ones with multiple outlets.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The garage where my e-stuff lives rarely gets to 40 as it has good afternoon shade in summer. We follow the usual don't charge hot/cold/unattended/leave on when full. We are looking at a charging cabinet but they are not cheap for the proper ones with multiple outlets.
The unsealed bike storage room off my garage is the coolest room in my house.

Its not the quality eeee batteries, numerous power tool batteries or bike light charging I worry about, its err cheap shit chi solar Chrissy decorations stored in plastic boxes with tinsel and shit thats the worry.