BB for Hope crankset

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Hi team, I’m getting a Hope crankset and will eventually grab a hope bottom bracket though as an intermediary step I’m looking for something less expensive.

Will a Sram bb30 fit the bill on a bike with a standard 68/73 screw type bb? Any suggestions for other inexpensive bb’s that work well?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Hi team, I’m getting a Hope crankset and will eventually grab a hope bottom bracket though as an intermediary step I’m looking for something less expensive.

Will a Sram bb30 fit the bill on a bike with a standard 68/73 screw type bb? Any suggestions for other inexpensive bb’s that work well?
Any bb30 will fit. If you're going to get a Sram bb30 you might as well keep it and just replace the bearings when they wear out with Enduros. The Hope bearings tend to be a bit ordinary anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I think you'll need to go for external bearings to fit a 30mm spindle in a BSA BB shell, SRAM BB30 is designed for an oversized BB shell AFAIK.

Something like this would work, and is cheaper than the Hope version. Pushy's have that one too, but it's not in stock presently.

Edit: that Merlin link could be for a Road version (68mm only?) so I could be giving you a bum steer. It does still come up when you filter by mtb only though. @JTmofo are the Race Face ones 'universal', or are specifically for Race Face cinch cranks?

Last edited:

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the quick replies gang. I’ve managed to secure permission for the cranks though an additional ~$160 for the hope BB was likely to send the minister of finance into a conniption;)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I think you'll need to go for external bearings to fit a 30mm spindle in a BSA BB shell, SRAM BB30 is designed for an oversized BB shell AFAIK.

Something like this would work, and is cheaper than the Hope version. Pushy's have that one too, but it's not in stock presently.

Edit: that Merlin link could be for a Road version (68mm only?) so I could be giving you a bum steer. It does still come up when you filter by mtb only though. @JTmofo are the Race Face ones 'universal', or are specifically for Race Face cinch cranks?
I used an RF on some E13 cranks.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nope, BB30 is a press fit bottom bracket, presume you need a threaded BSA?
A raceface cinch threaded BB will work. Cheap and not totally shit.
Oops. Sorry meant bsa30. Praxis and Rotor make a good one that is cheaper than Hope. The Raceface ones are pretty ordinary, budget for replacement bearings within a year.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk