BBQ's - Whats the low down - cookers and recipes!!!

scblack

Leucocholic
In terms of additional heat or just because you never have to worry about the bottle running out at the most inopportune time?
Convenience. Never have to worry about gas running out. Never have to take the bottle for a refill. Dont have to lug the bottle around. Just plug in and never think of gas again.

Heat is no different that I can tell.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Convenience. Never have to worry about gas running out. Never have to take the bottle for a refill. Dont have to lug the bottle around. Just plug in and never think of gas again.

Heat is no different that I can tell.
Unfortunately I dont have a gas bayonet on the balcony.... otherwise NG would be a definite!

Fuggin hate refilling the gas bottle!

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Weber all the way. I have 2, a NG & LPG genesis. Love having two. Can cook things at different times and heat settings and still all ready at the same time. NG isnt as hot though so better for roasts, chicken, and other indirect cooking stuff. LPG used for steaks etc. And get a side burner, awesome for turning leftover marinades to a sauce. Have a spare lpg bottle and running out never a problem.

And Weber after sales service is great. My electronic ignition died after about 6 yrs, long after warrenty ended, they just sent me out a new one. And my flavouriser bar rusted cause i use a lot of marinade and dont clean them often. Sent me out some more, no questions asked. Mind you that one was still in warranty period.

When looking, check out the weld quality. Cheap ones are only tack welded. And give the thing a good shake to see how flimsy cheap ones can be.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
BBQ's - Whats the low down.....

Unfortunately I dont have a gas bayonet on the balcony.... otherwise NG would be a definite!

Fuggin hate refilling the gas bottle!
Swap'n'go

LPG can be installed in 45kg cylinders if you want more juice with longer breaks between swaps but has to be fixed, not mobile. NG is generally cheaper. I've had clients request LPG for bbq even when they had NG on the property for it's higher heat value.

Personally have the little webber q, inlaws bought it for us as anniversary present. Gets a load more use than our 6 burner.

Last edited:

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
You do consume more gas on NG but I don't think the higher temp matters. What does matter is the spread of the jets and the quality of the plate. That will give consistent heat across the plate.

clockworked

Like an orange
don't get the biggest one you can afford. they'll invariably use poorer metals for the plates if they're cheap.

If you haven't got a heap of money, get the best flat metal bbq you can with the most even distribution of flame. Ask the guy at the store, there'll be one that has a better grade of plate.

even heat from a decent piece of metal is so much better and more useable that a zillion burners, a wok fitting and grill with uneven heat distribution.

think of them as big pots and pans: holding heat and distributing it evenly are the most important things

Capone

Likes Dirt
Swap'n'go

LPG can be installed in 45kg cylinders if you want more juice with longer breaks between swaps but has to be fixed, not mobile. NG is generally cheaper. I've had clients request LPG for bbq even when they had NG on the property for it's higher heat value.

Personally have the little webber q, inlaws bought it for us as anniversary present. Gets a load more use than our 6 burner.

bunnings are the cheapest place for swap and go too. Don't bother with the servo

mtb1611

Seymour
Regardless of the bbq, it's the cook that is the defining element; in language we all understand, the fact that you own a XTR-equipped boutique mtb doesn't mean you can ride.

Many a function have I attended where the barbie was top notch but the meat looked like it was scraped out of Auschwitz's ovens, simply because the chef was crap.

I've got a mid-range bbq (connected to mains gas) and it's fine, gets used generally 3 times a week. However dead stuff cooked on this little fella is the business:

20121005_174639.jpg

Granted, it's more time-consuming in terms of preparation, as you have to wait for the charcoals to reach optimum cooking temp (charcoal works best, but heat beads can be used) and disposing of the embers is a pain but the taste of a T-bone cooked to perfection on this $55 beast is a thing of beauty! Incidentally, I didn't realise I'd almost run out of charcoals for the pictured cook, hence the paltry arrangement!

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Anyone have or used a Weber Spirit?
It's nearly $1k cheaper than the Genesis!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I've got two of them but years ago they used to be called genesis (silver) and cost $1200. Awesome bbqs. 7min to warm up, 3min one side, 2min other side, perfect zebra/stripped steak dinner done :thumb:

It's so quick you barely have enough time to sit down and have a beer. :very_drunk:

Bermshot

Banned
mtb1611 has it. Like many of us we like barbie and have cooked more than we can count.

What's wrong with you men? What happened to the double brick centre piece with wood & paper storage either side of the inch thick plate! The two beerer before she even smokes up maaate! Best BBQ you can have.

But flavour/time (depending, a good barbie for me is a event not a feed)? Those charcoal burners are the shit, baste your meat or veggies :nono: with preference. Lamb and it's coherent herbs are just a party turner. Cook on the coals and ye can taunt the punters for hours, when chow time arrives watch the smiles whilst gobbling thine own.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yep, can't beat real fire for a barbie. Sure it can take a bit longer to build up a good hot coal bed, but by golly it's worth it!

My mum salvaged a kettle-BBq thing from hard rubbish when I got my own place ten years ago; the burner & stuff was all just a pile of bits. Turfed them & just used it as a fire pit. When the lid goes on the fire goes out basically straight away, so you get a really awesome smoky flavour too.

The arse is starting to burn out of it though, so I'll have to go & find another one....

Capone

Likes Dirt
Would love a Kettle, but living in an apartment rules that out unfortunately.

I already have a Weber Baby Q 100 (for camping ) and love its quality, so have half decided on a LPG in one of these

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/ProductPage.php?pc=k46710024

I would love one of these but mentally cant bring myself to spend that kinda cash on it!

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/ProductPage.php?pc=k6531024

Anyone any experience on the Spirit?

we looked at the first one however the features on the genesis you linked resulted in us going down that patch. Sear station. Side burner and free install and delivery are worth it in my books

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
we looked at the first one however the features on the genesis you linked resulted in us going down that patch. Sear station. Side burner and free install and delivery are worth it in my books
If anyone needs someone else to install a bbq then best give up the game right there. LOL

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Yep, can't beat real fire for a barbie. Sure it can take a bit longer to build up a good hot coal bed, but by golly it's worth it!.
No way dude, fire is for the stone age, gas + piezo electric ignition for me :)

The simplicity also means bbqing doesn't have to be a special event so you can enjoy the flavours any day of the week. It simply becomes another method to cook your dinner.

willsy01

Eats Squid
No way dude, fire is for the stone age, gas + piezo electric ignition for me :)

The simplicity also means bbqing doesn't have to be a special event so you can enjoy the flavours any day of the week. It simply becomes another method to cook your dinner.
No, he's right. Coals are infinitely better.

Picked up one of these bad boys from Aldi for $30 a while back.....it's effing brilliant.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Shit, I've had a few barbies. One things for sure, spending a whole lot on a stainless steel, quality unit does not pay off, they still rust somewhere, the piezo ignition still only works for a year or 2 , and you still will get BBQ envy sometime in the next couple of years.

I'm just looking at my uber cool neil perry BBQ , and thinking I need a new one.......

I do fundamentally admire any bloke with a proper BBQ and the commitment to use it, and secretly feel sorry for the under endowed bloke that needs to have a 6 burner blingy multi thousand dollar BBQ to compensate.

floody

Wheel size expert
I wish I'd bought a better one, as although my cheapo bunnings one has lasted almost a decade, its heat distribution is variable at best and practically everything below the plate/grille and above the drip tray has rusted off the thing, e.g. the burner covers and all the metal sub structure they sat on have literally disappeared.

Buy the best you can afford. My mum stayed with us for a while in her caravan while she was touring, so we used her baby weber-q thing a lot and it was magic just like everyone else has said. Wish I'd shelled out the extra $120 or so at the time and just got one of those.