BBQ's - Whats the low down - cookers and recipes!!!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Since the OP is in Southern Sydney you could check out the BBQ Factory in Taren Point for a Tucker BBQ.

I got a 4 burner version with wok attachment and its sensational. Cost a fair but but I'll never buy another one and after a few cheapies that only lasted a couple of years this one is great.

mtb1611

Seymour
Two things I won't buy from K-mart, bikes and BBQ's.
In every other respect I'd agree with you, however I bought a 4-burner gas jobbie from K-mart (Jackeroo brand maybe?) in 2000 and sold it in 2012 when I bought a new one. Never had an issue with it in 12 years; it had a hood, wok attachment and whilst it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as the current model, it cooked just as well (was a cylinder version though, not connected to mains, this being it's only drawback).

n00b

Likes Dirt
Regardless of the bbq, it's the cook that is the defining element; in language we all understand, the fact that you own a XTR-equipped boutique mtb doesn't mean you can ride.

Many a function have I attended where the barbie was top notch but the meat looked like it was scraped out of Auschwitz's ovens, simply because the chef was crap.

I've got a mid-range bbq (connected to mains gas) and it's fine, gets used generally 3 times a week. However dead stuff cooked on this little fella is the business:

View attachment 277025

Granted, it's more time-consuming in terms of preparation, as you have to wait for the charcoals to reach optimum cooking temp (charcoal works best, but heat beads can be used) and disposing of the embers is a pain but the taste of a T-bone cooked to perfection on this $55 beast is a thing of beauty! Incidentally, I didn't realise I'd almost run out of charcoals for the pictured cook, hence the paltry arrangement!
I agree.
If you live somewhere where you can get away with it, you cant match a real fire.
I always thought that if you're using a gas barbecue you may as well cook on the stove.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a mid-range bbq (connected to mains gas) and it's fine, gets used generally 3 times a week. However dead stuff cooked on this little fella is the business:

View attachment 277025

Granted, it's more time-consuming in terms of preparation, as you have to wait for the charcoals to reach optimum cooking temp (charcoal works best, but heat beads can be used) and disposing of the embers is a pain but the taste of a T-bone cooked to perfection on this $55 beast is a thing of beauty! Incidentally, I didn't realise I'd almost run out of charcoals for the pictured cook, hence the paltry arrangement!
Do you ever find that heat beads give the meat a weird flavour? I've never found any that don't give off a strong odour when lit, so I've never used them to cook anything other than camp oven dishes.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have a Gasmate Caterer 4
http://www.gasmate.com.au/SCats.asp?SCatID=10&CatID=1
My Husband made side table things out of jarrah staine slats (from a pallet), and also the bottom shelf was lined with the same so it looks pretty schmick.
This style of bbq is great if you mainly like cooking spuds, steak etc.

We had a beefmaster or similar (from Mitre 10) with the hood etc but never really used the hood much, and found it quite hot to reach stuff towards the back etc. The one we have now is great, particularly the little bucket thing which hangs down and collects the fat / oil etc, so much less mess to clean up (no cockroaches running around the drip trays when you haven't used it in a while!). The bling version of the Gasmate we have is the Heatlie. I think the main reason we went for the different style is that we figured that we wouldn't miss not having a grill and hood.

I must say I am thinking of getting a Webber Baby Q for the camper trailer we're about to buy, but mainly if I think I'll use it as an oven and cook things like bread on our longer trips, not quite convinced yet! Camp oven would be better but can't always have fires these days.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Yesterday I bought a Weber Q300 for $150 off an lady on gumtree that clearly didn't know that they are worth. Too big for us so sold it today for $450. 200% profit in one day, not bad.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at buying a new Q220 with my profits, I love capitalism (and Webers, this will be my 3rd one :))

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yesterday I bought a Weber Q300 for $150 off an lady on gumtree that clearly didn't know that they are worth. Too big for us so sold it today for $450. 200% profit in one day, not bad.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at buying a new Q220 with my profits, I love capitalism (and Webers, this will be my 3rd one :))
Well done!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Good work dude.....

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, lots of info picked up....

so I'm off to the Weber shop now... hopefully to strike a deal on a Genesis E330....

mtb1611

Seymour
Do you ever find that heat beads give the meat a weird flavour? I've never found any that don't give off a strong odour when lit, so I've never used them to cook anything other than camp oven dishes.
I've never actually tried the heat beads on the "$55 beast" Wellsey; I'm just aware that you CAN you use them. To be honest I've avoided using them due to the very reason you mention...

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You have to let heat beads fully ignite and dust all over before cooking on them, or else suffer the shit taste they gas off before they are ready.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You have to let heat beads fully ignite and dust all over before cooking on them, or else suffer the shit taste they gas off before they are ready.
Yes, back in the day of Hibashi bbqs and the original webber, all it requires is firelighters and patience - 45min before you cook and all good - well, that's my memory of it anyway, gas has taken over completely .

I'm seriously considering getting a grill to go over our bunnings firebox and live the 70s dream again....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If you haven't got a heap of money, get the best flat metal bbq you can
think of them as big pots and pans: holding heat and distributing it evenly are the most important things
What's the point in that? If you don't have a grill where the flame can caramelise the meat you might as well just go back in the kitchen. A BBQ without a grill is just a mega-expensive fry pan.

What happened to the double brick centre piece with wood & paper storage either side of the inch thick plate! The two beerer before she even smokes up maaate! Best BBQ you can have. .
Yep, can't beat real fire for a barbie. Sure it can take a bit longer to build up a good hot coal bed, but by golly it's worth it!

Proper old style brick built barbie with scrunched up news paper, twigs from around the backyard for kindling and some chopped up wood are the shit the shit the shit. Everything from scrunching the news paper, to building a mini-kindling bonfire to getting a rager going and then letting coal up with the occasional popping piece of wood that sends a few sparks on to your legs for good measure is just golden. To get the flame licking at the meat these days I splash cooking oil over the heat shields under the grill. Shit flames right up and burns for a while and then I get medium rare steaks caramelised on the outside.

When I move back in a place that I own I will most definitely have me a wood fire BBQ

But until then, always go for something with enlarged burners and made out of thick metal as there's nothing worse than cooking steak on a mediocre flame.

Capone

Likes Dirt
What's the point in that? If you don't have a grill where the flame can caramelise the meat you might as well just go back in the kitchen. A BBQ without a grill is just a mega-expensive fry pan.

Proper old style brick built barbie with scrunched up news paper, twigs from around the backyard for kindling and some chopped up wood are the shit the shit the shit. Everything from scrunching the news paper, to building a mini-kindling bonfire to getting a rager going and then letting coal up with the occasional popping piece of wood that sends a few sparks on to your legs for good measure is just golden. To get the flame licking at the meat these days I splash cooking oil over the heat shields under the grill. Shit flames right up and burns for a while and then I get medium rare steaks caramelised on the outside.

When I move back in a place that I own I will most definitely have me a wood fire BBQ

But until then, always go for something with enlarged burners and made out of thick metal as there's nothing worse than cooking steak on a mediocre flame.

something about total fire bans has relegated that to a winter activity

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
The other good cooking device I've got is the clay chiminea with cooking grill for the chimney. Still trying to perfect meat but get the best jacket potatoes.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
something about total fire bans has relegated that to a winter activity
I was surprised to find this bit of info, I thought an old style weber would be ok

From fire ban info site.

Solid fuel - No. You cannot use any BBQ or cooker that requires solid fuel such as wood or charcoal. This includes wood fired ovens or stoves, and Weber like BBQs.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Got my weber Q220 yesterday. They wouldn't come down in price ($399). Best I could do was get a cover for free. Can't wait, Picnic Weber weekend coming up. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bermshot

Banned
We went down to the Cotter and the old men were that slick they (decided) used big galvo garbage bin lids upside down! Set up in the middle of both streams. What do I care? Dads took care of it, and I had a BBQ in the middle of two streams

Fuck you lot my dad was a original tripper, apparently so was everyone else

Pm me if you want to hear about the Pink Zepheyr.

yeah I reckon, fcuk the dolphins