BBQ's - Whats the low down - cookers and recipes!!!

mtb1611

Seymour
Can't beat a kettle bbq and lump charcoal. Seriously, once you eat a meal cooked over charcoal your gasser will be relegated to 'snags for the in laws' status. We haven't used our gasser in over 12 months now. There's no problems cooking over normal heat beads with no accelerant in them. The smell people talk about is generally the firelighter used to get them going. I use charcoal though, it burns hotter, and gets going faster than heat beads (though heat beads are handy when you want to cook something for over 6 hours). The kettle gets used 2-3 times a week - gassers are for total fire ban days only.
We cooked steak indoors for the first time in ages a month ago and that is officially the last time I waste a steak in a frying pan.
If you aren't manly enough to cook over real flame, get a Weber Q. Forget about a natural gas conversion (less heat, I can't remember the difference in BTUs but it's significant) and cook with the lid down.

I'd love a Genesis eventually, absolutely the pinnacle of bbq. Forget those 8 burner stainless behemoths with wok burners, taps, sinks, built in vibrators, I'd park a Genesis next to my two Weber kettles and probably replace the stove inside with more cabinetry. Actually I'd include a Kamado too, then I'd have everything covered.
So you have 2 bbq's and are angling for a 3rd? You are clearly a shit bbq-er. Sorry, but it's true. If you can't do what you need to do with one bbq, move along Betty.

Capone

Likes Dirt
So you have 2 bbq's and are angling for a 3rd? You are clearly a shit bbq-er. Sorry, but it's true. If you can't do what you need to do with one bbq, move along Betty.

I hope you only have one bike. If you can't do everything you need to with that then you clearly can't ride

The Weber genesis and kettle are completely different beasts and have their own pros and cons. My next purchase is a kettle to go with the genesis

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
You obviously are the looser mate. Chicken, steaks, roasts, fish, veggies all use different temperatures, different methods and different times. Or do you just bung them all in together haha....

btw I have 3 webers, so suck it!

Bermshot

Banned
A tad OT but is anyone running one of those outdoor clay ovens? Details on prep/firing it up, only good for spesh occasions? Flavor etc.

Always been interested just not sure if it is worth the time/space.

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
A tad OT but is anyone running one of those outdoor clay ovens? Details on prep/firing it up, only good for spesh occasions? Flavor etc.

Always been interested just not sure if it is worth the time/space.

Yes and no - depends what you mean.

Built a pizza oven 2 years ago. Great entertainer, but is definitely not for everyday use. Takes about 2-3hrs to get going well and uses a fair bit of wood. Need to do your cooking prep too. A normal session would be pizzas whilst it is raging, some roasted capsicum, eggplant and maybe tomato as well - then maybe something slow roasted (Lamb shoulder), then remove the coals and do 5-6 loaves of bread, then if organised enough a camp oven with a beerf rendang or some other slow cooked stew (fatty and moist) overnight.

If you have the space and easy access to wood (Moorey?) then I would have no problem recommending building one of these babies.

Nothing beats the pizza or bread that comes out of it...people rattle on about those pizza stones, or have those pizza kettle things (now I know what you mean) and TBH I dont think they are worth it. A friend has one and it doesn't even come close to a proper pizza oven, and really , its debatable whether they are better than a standard in-house oven cranked right up. Don't know what they are like for stuff other than pizza though.

Bermshot

Banned
Cheers man, spot on info. I get the the pizza thing but yeah was thinking about stews and such too. I suppose if you have the space a good fire pit would just about cover all the above anyway.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I hope you only have one bike. If you can't do everything you need to with that then you clearly can't ride...

The Weber genesis and kettle are completely different beasts and have their own pros and cons. My next purchase is a kettle to go with the genesis
so if i set up a BBQ for my multiple bike-racing OH does that mean he'll cook??

seriously, tho, i'm about to get a gas stove installed and i'm debating having a second tap to the outer wall of my kitchen installed at the same time (it's under cover). i already chop wood for our heater in winter so don't want more work, thanks, but seriously love the whole cooking outdoors (in Adelaide summers) thing!!

i'm a cook who gardens and am really into home made home grown marinades as my massive granite mortar and pestle would tell you :p

i can dispose of natural charcoal and ash on my fruit trees.

following this thread with interest.

scblack

Leucocholic
seriously, tho, i'm about to get a gas stove installed and i'm debating having a second tap to the outer wall of my kitchen installed at the same time (it's under cover).
Do it then!! It is so much more convenient than gas bottles.

Its a no-brainer if you can get the installer to put a tap outside at the time of setting kitchen up.

mtb1611

Seymour
You obviously are the looser mate. Chicken, steaks, roasts, fish, veggies all use different temperatures, different methods and different times. Or do you just bung them all in together haha....

btw I have 3 webers, so suck it!
Yes, I'm a looser and thank you no, I shall refraining from sucking "it", whatever "it" may be......we all know that different meats and different foods require varying cooking times, temperatures and preparation; that doesn't necessarily mean you need a different bbq for every type of food. If you cook said products inside, do you have a choice of ovens?

I hope you only have one bike. If you can't do everything you need to with that then you clearly can't ride

Different bikes are built for specific purposes....mountain bikes for mountain biking, road bikes for the road.....barbecues are built for cooking. If you're buying a second bbq simply for varying tastes that's understandable, but if you NEED several bbq's simply because you're unable to use one correctly across a number of different cooking scenarios, that's just lazy!

Last edited:

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Yes, I'm a looser ..... do you have a choice of ovens?
Not ovens but everyone (including you) have definitely more than one way to cook. Roast and veggies in the oven, steaks on the cooktop, chicken on the cooktop (or slowcooker - yummmm), corn on the steamer etc. Pretty hard to do all that on a single bbq and still be ready at the same time.

doosh

Likes Bikes
If you're buying a second bbq simply for varying tastes that's understandable, but if you NEED several bbq's simply because you're unable to use one correctly across a number of different cooking scenarios, that's just lazy!
It is different tastes, as well as different scenarios. You can't smoke a 4kg pork neck for 14 hours at 100c on a flat top gasser. Likewise, you can't cook 50 snags on a charcoal kettle. You also can't roast 4 chooks on one kettle. Old weber kettles go for $50 on Gumtree often - looked after, they last forever. With my two kettles I can do a pulled lamb shoulder for 8 hours on one, and use the other for grilled vegies and other sides. Or have them both cranking at the same time and churn out a pizza every few minutes for a big gathering.
Have a look on gumtree in your area for Webers (or try the misspelled 'Webber') and see if you can snag a cheap one. There's a bit of a learning curve but it's worth it. The comment earlier about different bikes for different trails works the same for bbqs - you wouldn't ride a road bike down a black run, just like you wouldn't smoke a rack of pork ribs for 6 hours on a gas bbq. Well, you could, but the outcome wouldn't be pleasant.

mtb1611

Seymour
Fair calls Freddo and Doosh; although I must admit I manage to have all three (bbq, oven and cooktop) going at once…..definitely a juggling act though and one which involves everyone else in the house staying well clear of the pergola, kitchen and the thoroughfare between both locations! I guess it also depends to a certain extent on the sort of dishes you're cooking on a regular basis; for example I never bother with large legs of ham etc but can understand that some of you do. Perhaps we should all discuss this over a backyard barbie (or several ;-) )

binner

Hath shat hymself
Weber again, even cooking, easy to use, and like JT says you have a few models to choose from now.

Although sometimes it's nice just to use dry wood,house bricks and an ol oven grill to cook on....takes me back to childhood camping days.
WTF is infra cooking?......

Fuck johnny , that was a quick closure!

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Weber again, even cooking, easy to use, and like JT says you have a few models to choose from now.

Although sometimes it's nice just to use dry wood,house bricks and an ol oven grill to cook on....takes me back to childhood camping days.
WTF is infra cooking?......

Fuck johnny , that was a quick closure!
Ha! No shit! Quick draw. I searched BBQ, but got nada. Anyway, I've heard good stuff on the Webbers, but gotta admit I hate the look of them. Wanna try and stick with the hooded/cabinet styled barbies. Infra red cooking is basically "we'll lie to them" technology. It's just a tray on top of the burner that distributes the heat waay more efficiently/evenly. To the eye from the top, it looks like infra red.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ha! No shit! Quick draw. I searched BBQ, but got nada.
Yeah, me too. I had to search Weber to find it, not sure why.

If I had a backyard like that I grew up in I'd have both a normal gasser and a traditional wood fire with an old oven grill for when time be on my side.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the pork crackling on a weber for xmas dinner. Best crackling ever!
Same here, we do a pork and chicken roast on the webber each year for Xmas. This years turned out the best so far and I ate so much cracking I felt sick.

We only use the webber for roasting and still have a normal gas flat plate BBQ for everything else.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Did the pork crackling on a weber for xmas dinner. Best crackling ever!
I need to move onto pork next. Picked up an '83 Weber for $25 and now refining the art of cooking in these. Results so far have been awesome although I have learnt a meat thermometer is essential. Best of both worlds now, Weber for roasting and main BBQ hooked into the gas mains.