BBQ's - Whats the low down - cookers and recipes!!!

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
BBQ's - Whats the low down.....

Another win for the webber here. Borrowing one from the uncle while he moved back overseas. Thought I would make a roast in it the other night. Now I haven't ever cooked a roast before, webber or oven so I was alittle worried when I heard people were now coming over.

Wow. It was close to the best Roast Pork I have ever had. And the crackling was amazing. It was so easy. Cooks as a 'Regular BBQ' great aswell. No need for a massive 6 burner BBQ anymore, the Webber Q200 is all I need.

takai

Eats Squid
I have a big 4 burner back in Adelaide, but over here in Melbs we dont have the room for it on hte balcony of our flat. Was given a Weber Q200 for my birthday this year and damn the thing is awesome. Really really good to use.

If we were in a bigger place though i would certainly have the Weber, a wood fired pizza oven/tandoor, a 44gal spit roaster, and a big upright smoker as well :)

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I need to move onto pork next. Picked up an '83 Weber for $25 and now refining the art of cooking in these. Results so far have been awesome although I have learnt a meat thermometer is essential. Best of both worlds now, Weber for roasting and main BBQ hooked into the gas mains.
What thermometer are you using ? I tried one from Bunnings and its was not very accurate. For the Webber kettle I went back to the 40 mins per kg method for pork and 1 mm per minute at the highest point for beef. For chicken I just guess between these 2 and usually get it right. For larger roast like a 4kg I just add 20 to 30 mins as the kettle starts too cool the longer it cooks.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
What thermometer are you using ? I tried one from Bunnings and its was not very accurate. For the Webber kettle I went back to the 40 mins per kg method for pork and 1 mm per minute at the highest point for beef. For chicken I just guess between these 2 and usually get it right. For larger roast like a 4kg I just add 20 to 30 mins as the kettle starts too cool the longer it cooks.
I picked this one up from Myer for around $35, didn't want to go cheap but also didn't want to go over the top and spend $100:

http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/cuisena-digital-instant-read-thermometer-na.html?gclid=CP7In46r7MICFcWWvQodKEkAng

I'm still honing my cooking times, I have chickens sorted just need to work on beef, lamb and pork. I cooked a 3kg leg of lamb for Christmas and the result was awesome, nice pink ring on the outside from the smoking. A decent meat thermometer is a great investment and removes the guess work.

stirk

Burner
I love my weber’s particularly for the quality as they last forever.
The heat bead fired ones give the best flavour for sure.

My current BBQ’s cover many different cooking options :)

- Go anywhere
- Standard 57cm kettle
- Baby Q
- Fire pit with grill
- Wood fired brick grill down the back, this will get replaced by wood fired oven in near future

Best tip I have is get some of those hickory wood chips for extra smoke flavour.

Salmon lightly smoked toward the end of the cooking time is absolutely amazing!

Also recently got the heat bead starter chimney which is awesome, gets the coal evenly fired up very quickly, highly recommend the chimney.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I ended up getting one of these and it does the job. The thermometer in the lid is handy.

I bought the LPG version so I can take it camping.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
My bbq died a couple of weeks ago so am now procrastinating between the Weber Family Q and a Ziegler and Brown with cart (as Ivan has purchased). Can't yet find a negative comment about the Webers although a mate opted for the Z & B due to the fact that Webers, being a convection cooker, need to have the lid down whereas Z & B models don't.

Any thoughts on this?

stirk

Burner
My bbq died a couple of weeks ago so am now procrastinating between the Weber Family Q and a Ziegler and Brown with cart (as Ivan has purchased). Can't yet find a negative comment about the Webers although a mate opted for the Z & B due to the fact that Webers, being a convection cooker, need to have the lid down whereas Z & B models don't.

Any thoughts on this?
My neighbour was previously a weber fan but her daughter who worked at BBQ galore turned her round to a z&b and she loves it, she says its better than the weber.

Ivan

Eats Squid

Any thoughts on this?

I rarely BBQ (that's the disclaimer) but the Z&G does cook like a conventional BBQ with the lid open, and does roasts etc with the lid down. My wife did a pretty big roast chicken in it on Christmas day which turned out pretty good. The only negative I have noticed is that there are hotspots on the plates when you cook with the lid open, but i guess you would get that on most BBQ's.

Actually another negative I have found is that it uses an uncommon hose connection fitting to the BBQ, so if you want to buy a longer hose they are tricky to find.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
My neighbour was previously a weber fan but her daughter who worked at BBQ galore turned her round to a z&b and she loves it, she says its better than the weber.
I rarely BBQ (that's the disclaimer) but the Z&G does cook like a conventional BBQ with the lid open, and does roasts etc with the lid down. My wife did a pretty big roast chicken in it on Christmas day which turned out pretty good. The only negative I have noticed is that there are hotspots on the plates when you cook with the lid open, but i guess you would get that on most BBQ's.

Actually another negative I have found is that it uses an uncommon hose connection fitting to the BBQ, so if you want to buy a longer hose they are tricky to find.
Thanks stirk and Ivan, really appreciate the advice!

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Well, thanks for all the feedback burners. Looked at the family Q today, but the lack of storage and warming rack/etc put me off. So pulled the trigger on this

Couple of hours, and a heap of Vic tins, and I'm a happy camper. Cheers guy's!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funny, since this thread originated we also ended up buying a Ziggy, 2 burner version.
Works well, the meat and seafood tastes better cooked that way too....juicier (now that he cooks with lid down)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
The Manly Art of Aussie Barbeque Thread

so i've been cooking on my barbie for over 12 months now. long story, my DIY kitchen renovations came to a grinding halt when i busted my hand in three places and various internal organs in a nasty stack in the final at State titles last Feb and with other DIY house and garden renos on the go plus me studying and working part time, and with states coming up again soon i'll be cooking on the barbie for a few more months yet.

in the undercover area outside our back door i've set up an outdoor kitchen opposite the spot i made for the hubs to work on our bikes (he likes to use our bikes as his personal Meccano kit for his after work wind-down) with my scruffy but serviceable retro 50's dining suite so apart from carting food in and out (i have plans for a fridge and prep area outside too) i've been having no problems making some pretty nice meals out there.

i have a cheaparse 4 burner half-grill half-plate with wok burner Bunnings special.

on the 3 + days when i work (afternoons) i usually do slowcooker meals so they're ready for hubs to take over when he gets home.

trouble is, on the other four nights, i'm getting bored with my own cooking.

today (because i'm slack and didn't think to get it out of the freezer last night) i've got a 3kg pork loin on the bone roast going on the barbie, started when frozen, basted in Kekap Manis (sweet soy sauce) started off in a cast iron Dutch oven for a half hour, then basted again and lid on for another half hour. i'll tell you how it turns out...

so tell me *your* barbie secret recipes :heh:

*EDIT* should have mentioned that my bbq has a hood so yes, cooking this roast with the hood down.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've had the local's brand me as the king of potato chips on the BBQ, it's all in the thickness of the cut and the amount of spices applied at just the right time in the cooking process. ;)
We got a Weber a few years ago and I didn't rate it as much more than a hooded BBQ but yeah, it's completely awesome. I do pizza's in it, roast meat and veggies and of course we use it as a hot plate for meat. As for a special recipe, I have a few favorites:
-500g chicken breast oiled with olive oil and seasoned with steak spice before it goes into the BBQ to roast. As it roasting I sometimes put a small incision in it and put a fresh stalk of rosemary in it just for the aroma. You can't overcook it and dry it out, it needs to be juicy but not pink. Once it's out of the BBQ, I've sometimes added a handful of mozarella cheese to it after I've sliced it, enough that it melts across the top and into the slices.
-I do a similar method with steak on the grill; oil it a little then only turn it once the blood has gotten to the top of the meat. When it's turned I add the steak spice and lay the caramelised onion on it to cook that flavor into the meat. I prefer to cook it as a medium but it can work to keep the flavor into to a well done. You have to eat the steak hot, it's bloody useless when it's cold so make sure someone has set the table before you dish it up.
-When I have room, I like to cook salami slices and cabanosi just enough that the fat has started to run out of it. Have a jar of mustard handy and put a small amount on each piece of meat and eat it while the steaks are cooking. Mmmmm mmmmmmmmmm!!! I once made some kebab sticks with cabanosi, salami, pickled onions and capsicum all cooked on the BBQ after I'd marinated just one side of each kebab in BBQ sauce. You cook the kebabs close together so the BBQ sauce covers the plate and wow, it really enhances the flavor of each item on the stick.
Holy miss moley, my mouth is watering!
-I do another fancy breakfast that I call a Tomlette. I have my tomato sliced already, I have the bacon diced and ready to go. I lay the tomato and bacon on the hot plate then crack the eggs around it so it all cooks in a big crepe looking thing. Once its cooked enough, I run a knife around it to cut it to size then lay it on a wrap and roll it up with some BBQ sauce on it, bloody great breakky tucker!

DeBloot

Feeling old
Sorry if this is a minor thread hijack Norco
But what makes a Weber so good (not just a hooded barbie)

I haven't owned a barbie in 6 years as it's so cold here I'd only use it 2 months a year
But with climate change :p it has extended to 3 months and I'm eying off a barbie for our renovated deck

i had a cheapie before, but think it may be false economy

scblack

Leucocholic
Sorry if this is a minor thread hijack Norco
But what makes a Weber so good (not just a hooded barbie)

I haven't owned a barbie in 6 years as it's so cold here I'd only use it 2 months a year
But with climate change :p it has extended to 3 months and I'm eying off a barbie for our renovated deck

i had a cheapie before, but think it may be false economy
Any barbie with a decent hood is the same as far as I'm concerned. Mine has a hood and you keep stuff warm in there, you can roast stuff etc.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't know what it is but Barbeque doesn't work well with our search function. I have to search the word Weber to find the original thread each time.

I love to slow cook big hunks of dead animal on my BBQ.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I merged threads - every now and then a BBQ thread pops up and I just stick them together to keep the convo rolling. Although for some reason the word barbeque is not at all liked by our search function, it never finds the master thread and I have to search for Weber instead.