BBQ's - Whats the low down - cookers and recipes!!!

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I'd heard Weber's customer service was amazing, and now I've had a chance to experience it myself I can confirm that yes, it really is!

The grill plates on my Weber Family Q 320 have gone to shit. Rusted and flaking. I've always kept it clean, don't live near the ocean for salt to rust it out, it's always kept under cover, but the grill now looks like this...

View attachment 327371

So used Weber's online support page, sent a message and some photos, and less than 30 minutes later I've had a reply, plus a courier tracking number because they're sending me new grill plates. I'm pretty stoked with the speed of the reply and the no-fuss simplicity of it all. The $700-odd I spent on this thing 4 or 5 years ago has already been well worthwhile many times over - this is just the icing on the cake! :cheer2:
Same experience, not quite as rusty, but mine got replaced at the end of last year. Great service, and great bbq. Only reason I want to get rid of my Q220 is so I can buy a new Baby Q and a Family Q instead.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never cleaned my grill with soap, just bbq brush the bars after last item has been taken off still roaring hot and scrape the plate, kill the gas, bit of oil on the plate, spread over the bar surface and plate with the back of the Bbq mate, 30s normally. No excess grease as it's cooked off, but webers are anti-flame or something? I bet I could get one to flare up.

mtb1611

Seymour
Had a Weber Family Q for about 16 months now. Only thing I ever use to clean the grills is the Weber brush; having said that, I do it religiously as soon as I've finished cooking, that way nothing gets a chance to become "baked on". Every few months I give the "bowl" a thorough clean, including the gas rails. I just use baby wipes!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Had a Weber Family Q for about 16 months now. Only thing I ever use to clean the grills is the Weber brush; having said that, I do it religiously as soon as I've finished cooking, that way nothing gets a chance to become "baked on". Every few months I give the "bowl" a thorough clean, including the gas rails. I just use baby wipes!
That must taste interesting first barbie back?

You ain't sposed to clean a bbq

Food is more tasty with the remnants of all the barbies gone before it and it's also good for your immune system
Like an ongoing reminder of your rightful place at the top of the food chain.

Just finished whipping up some pesto...think I'll be grilling some chicken this weekend!

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I've been known to clean mine with a water pressure blaster every so often. One of the things that Weber told me, and I'd done it previously, is to use the BBQ to dry the plate after cleaning it, apparently its really bad for it.

Just figured I'll not do it for the new one, but leaving the BBQ on at full temp for 5 minutes after cooking seems to burn off anything, much like a pyrolytic oven, so I figure I'll do that and wash it cold later.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I've been known to clean mine with a water pressure blaster every so often. One of the things that Weber told me, and I'd done it previously, is to use the BBQ to dry the plate after cleaning it, apparently its really bad for it.

Just figured I'll not do it for the new one, but leaving the BBQ on at full temp for 5 minutes after cooking seems to burn off anything, much like a pyrolytic oven, so I figure I'll do that and wash it cold later.
That's the same method I use, except I do it before I cook, you need to preheat the BBQ anyway. Once it's hot, I brush and scrape anything off.
Leaving it on after cooking, even for only 5 minutes seems wasteful, it would also cut into my eating time

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
www.amazingribs.com

Get onto this site for literally everything BBQ related, from recipes to reviews and fantastic tips.

Weber charcoal kettle is to my mind the best value for money bbq. Get some hickory woodchips and start low and slow smoking.

Had a weber Q which I had to relinquish when I split from ex. Will buy another as it was more convenient.

Cooking with the lid down is a must.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I always run it for 15 minutes after cleaning to burn off any residue. Should clarify that the grills/plates themselves don't get baby-wiped!
I've seen bbq wipes, which I assume are a similar product. Perhaps more grease cutting power?

mtb1611

Seymour
I've seen bbq wipes, which I assume are a similar product. Perhaps more grease cutting power?
Yep have tried those, they have plastics "dots" embedded on the wipes for you know, that extra cutting power haha. Twice the price of the old stock standard baby wipes of course, and not a great deal better.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep have tried those, they have plastics "dots" embedded on the wipes for you know, that extra cutting power haha. Twice the price of the old stock standard baby wipes of course, and not a great deal better.
But the dots...ha. So much cutting power. If they were Goodyear doughnuts I might believe.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
This is a little more like it.

IMG_1131.jpg

First contacted Weber on Tuesday, new plates arrived first thing this morning. Now to get them run in!

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd share mine. Had this beauty since 2009.
Does everything. Wife even cooked a sponge cake in it once, just to see how good it was. Perfect!!

Attachments

stirk

Burner
Thought I'd share mine. Had this beauty since 2009.
Does everything. Wife even cooked a sponge cake in it once, just to see how good it was. Perfect!!
It's cooked cake?!

Bin it now.

Seriously it looks great but limited, you need charcoal to complete the story.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
That is excellent service. They obviously know the importance of a bbq!
They also know the importance of word of mouth - I've shared this story far and wide, and although I've always had good things to say about my Weber Q in the past, I'm singing their praises from the rooftops now!

Looks like my 8 year old Weber.
Photos or it didn't happen. Seriously though, if your plates look like that after 8 years, I'm gonna do whatever it is you're doing.

stirk

Burner
They also know the importance of word of mouth - I've shared this story far and wide, and although I've always had good things to say about my Weber Q in the past, I'm singing their praises from the rooftops now!

Photos or it didn't happen. Seriously though, if your plates look like that after 8 years, I'm gonna do whatever it is you're doing.
One sec.....

stirk

Burner
Recently cleaned 8 year old baby q grill.

It can't be any cleaner without fucking with 8 years of flavour build up which is also natural non stick coating.

IMG_20160422_185629.jpg

Edit: there is zero rust, the brown is the next BBQ flavour enhancers.

Last edited: