Bearing Grease?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want to repack by suspension bearings - What grease should I put in them?
I've got some lithium but not sure if it's correct and wasn't sure if there are bunnings/supercheap options.
Thanks
Michael

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Any waterproof grease will suffice. The thicker the better. I use belray for pretty much everything bike related except for wheel bearings, as they are higher rpm so I use lighter greases.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Lithium grease is shit. Belray waterproof or Castrol marine grease.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that. I will checkout supercheap today some time and see what they have.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Santa Cruz bikes actually used to come with a tube of marine grease (a light blue) and a gun th at fit directly onto these zerk fittings. Was very convenient.

I've got two cartridges left as have since sold my bike, and also have a tube of TF2 bike grease with Teflon (red colour).

Anyone know which better for headsets, hubs, bb, etc?

Cheers

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Santa Cruz bikes actually used to come with a tube of marine grease (a light blue) and a gun th at fit directly onto these zerk fittings. Was very convenient.

I've got two cartridges left as have since sold my bike, and also have a tube of TF2 bike grease with Teflon (red colour).

Anyone know which better for headsets, hubs, bb, etc?

Cheers
TF2 for bearings and bushings. Marine grease for everything else.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TF2 seems to have two different... one with lithium one without (and with teflon). I've got the one without... I think.
Yep I already have the non-teflon one of that as well. Just wasn't sure if I should re-pack bearings with it.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Only use bearing grease in bearings, Don't use petroleum based lubes anywhere near rubber seals. It will destroy them. Use Silicone lube on anything not metal. If you see yourself doing regular bike maintenance those TF2 tubes don't go very far. Good stuff for sure but expensive. Head to your local bearings and industrial supplies store and get some 'Rocol Sapphire aqua 2' for your bearings and 'Rocol silicone grease' for suspension (or their equivalents) Way cheaper and effectively the same properties as "bicycle specific lubricants".

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bought a tube of basic Castrol grease in about 2010, just for repacking bearings, never needed a new bearing, headset, bush or BB due to bearing issues ever. I have sold bikes with varied use... maybe before problems arose and also swapped BB's thinking they were the issue, when it was something else.

I reckon if you are proactive and don't wash with a power washer, you will be fine with any grease.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Bought a tube of basic Castrol grease in about 2010, just for repacking bearings, never needed a new bearing, headset, bush or BB due to bearing issues ever. I have sold bikes with varied use... maybe before problems arose and also swapped BB's thinking they were the issue, when it was something else.

I reckon if you are proactive and don't wash with a power washer, you will be fine with any grease.
Maintenance is king. Like anything, if you change lubricants regularly the life expectancy increases exponentially. But using the right lube for the application is important. A tacky waterproof grease will not wash out or mix with other soaps(greases are soaps).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Maintenance is king. Like anything, if you change lubricants regularly the life expectancy increases exponentially. But using the right lube for the application is important. A tacky waterproof grease will not wash out or mix with other soaps(greases are soaps).
I have bought bikes new, second hand and others with glowing references from awesome bike shops. I have had a certain make of proprietary hub with special tools tell me I needed to get them serviced in a certain bike shop with special skills just to fuck it all up, after 1000km... a few taps with a pin punch and a repack with supacheap auto Castrol grease on the bearings, now 13,000km later with finish Line (chain) wet lube on the hub internals, they are still 100% (Chris King)
Don't believe everything you read and dont buy in to all the techy info, I did buy Fox oils for every shock and fork I own, used them now for every Rockshox I have owned since. The only thing I would adhere to is Mineral oil and Dot 5.1 for your corresponding brakes.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Don't believe everything you read and dont buy in to all the techy info, I did buy Fox oils for every shock and fork I own, used them now for every Rockshox I have owned since. The only thing I would adhere to is Mineral oil and Dot 5.1 for your corresponding brakes.
My point is, don't use petroleum lubes on seals or bushings. Cheap grease on metals won't affect durability if serviced regularly enough. Waterproof grease is better. Fork oil is another thing all together. It's not as important for lubrication as it is for damping. Brand doesn't matter as long as it is suspension oil the oil weight is within spec.