BELL 2R MIPS layer thing cracked

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Looks like time for a new lid.

Noticed a crack in the yellow MIPS layer thing yesterday morning.

Never crashed it, so a bit annoyed but what are you going to do.

Anyone else have this happen?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
It is recommended to change helmets every 5 years. I would keep using it, personally. But each to their own.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hmmm. I didn't even notice it as far as comfort goes.

Looks like I will hold onto it for a bit then. At the moment my riding is just cruising around the estate with the daughter in tow, so can't see myself coming off.

Thanks on the input guys.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If you're really keen, find some similar material and superglue a patch over the crack. Otherwise tape - its just an interface layer.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Aren't those 5 year replacement cycles from ages ago? I read somewhere recently that its fine to go much longer in the absence of crashing etc. I've got a specialized tactic thats close to 6 years old that I still use occasionally.

Just having a quick look now, there is a bunch of different information e.g. https://road.cc/content/feature/241993-when-should-i-replace-my-bike-helmet

But that article finishes with:
“The MIPS liner should not be removed or tampered with,” says April Beard of Bontrager. “You can wash it with a solution of mild soap and water, without removing it from the helmet. If any part of the MIPS system breaks you should replace the helmet.”

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Time also should consider weather exposure. If its a weekend only job thats kept indoors, 5 years should be fine. If its a daily that's left out in the sun a lot, UV and sweat exposure would kill it faster.

MIPS I think can cope with that amount of breakage safely. I think helmet makers will always (rightly so if they are speaking to all users) recommend replacement for any breakage.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Used Gorilla tape. Tough, sticky shit.
Taking it apart was easy, putting it back was 10/10 pain in the arse.

Attachments