Bell super 2R

Hi

So I've just signed up for my first race, the gravity enduro at Buller next month, and noticed that it's a full face helmet event.
Looked around and narrowed it down between a Met Parachute and Bell 2R with a slight favor towards the Bell. My only concern is the Bell isn't approved for downhill, will I get told to "rack off" if I rock up with the Bell or all will be sweet as its still a full face?
Anyone else going up with a Super?
Thanks in advance.
Chris

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi

So I've just signed up for my first race, the gravity enduro at Buller next month, and noticed that it's a full face helmet event.
Looked around and narrowed it down between a Met Parachute and Bell 2R with a slight favor towards the Bell. My only concern is the Bell isn't approved for downhill, will I get told to "rack off" if I rock up with the Bell or all will be sweet as its still a full face?
Anyone else going up with a Super?
Thanks in advance.
Chris
It depends who is hosting the event, in SEQ its allowed. You will have to check with the company organizing the event.

From SEQ Gravity Enduro:
'Dont forget folks. In line with the new MTBA rules on Enduro it will be compulsory to wear a full face helmet. The new Enduro style Full Faces, like the Met Parachute and the Bell Super 2R are OK.
Whilst the below helmet may have the bright colours and eye protection we like in Enduro, it is not a Full Face.'

'In the recent MTBA rules there are only two choices for National rounds, Full face all the time, or full face for special stages and open face option for liasion. To comply and make sure we are all covered by insurance SEQ have gone with option two. The rules were only released at the end of Janurary and we immediately published them on our site.'

http://www.emsaustralia.net.au/events/gravity-enduro-mountain-biking

Last edited:

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Try them both on before you buy. I have tried both, and I currently use the Parachute. 2R has very large puffy cheek pads which are uncomfortable, while Parachute comes with both thick and thin cheek pads. I use the thin and they are just off my skin, its nice. Also the Parachute has the double D ring buckle, which I have found is much more comfortable and easy to use than the usual plastic clip on most helmets including the 2R.

I don't really get the detachable thing. I never did it when I had the original Parachute. The new Parachute is so comfortable that there is no need to ever remove the chin bar (you can't). Personally I think dealing with the detached chin bar would be more of a hassle.

oriion

Likes Dirt
The cheek pads in the 2R are also removable if they are too "puffy" for you by the way, there is a velcro tab - just take them out - fits my fat head like a treat now.

Thanks for the reply.
I've got a Bell coming from Pushys, mad price BTW.
If it's a bad fit I'll send it back and try the Met.
More concerned that it'll fit great, I'll rock up to Buller and be sent on my way.
Thanks again.

Chris

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Well if it passes the AS for full face helmets, I don't see how they would have grounds to turn you away.

Didn't know the 2R pads are removable, good to know. But they still don't include thinner ones like the Met.

I also found the fit on the head to be worse on the 2R, even worse than the regular super that I used to have and liked. But obviously gotta try it for yourself to decide.

teK--

Eats Squid
Well if it passes the AS for full face helmets, I don't see how they would have grounds to turn you away.

Didn't know the 2R pads are removable, good to know. But they still don't include thinner ones like the Met.

I also found the fit on the head to be worse on the 2R, even worse than the regular super that I used to have and liked. But obviously gotta try it for yourself to decide.
When u remove the pad inserts the cheek pads become thinner.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Just get a proper DH helmet at 1/2 the price.
But if you can afford one of these helmets, why suffer with the pretty bad airflow in a regular DH helmet? I sure as hell wouldn't wear a DH helmet every day I ride, but I wear my Parachute every time instead of a half lid and I'm more protected because of it.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you ride the trails, including International at Buller that this enduro is going to be held on regularly, then perhaps, but the OP doesn't sound like a Buller DH regular.

I like the 2R, will probably buy one, but even if I have it before the Buller Enduro, I'll still wear my DH helmet there, heat is not a problem there, especially in late April. The OP said they were buying to race, not to trailride every day. $250+ for a helmet that doesn't offer as good protection as a DH helmet at half the price to race in is unwise to me.

If it's just to race the Enduro an $80 THH DH helmet would make more sense, if it's because they want a fullface for trailriding and hope it will be enough for Buller, I would say, don't test it out and you'll be fine. ;)

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
$250+ for a helmet that doesn't offer as good protection as a DH helmet at half the price to race in is unwise to me.
On what grounds do you base this? Bell have been making helmets for a very long time and are one of the best in the business. They would not get Aust Standards approval on the Super 2R unless it was up to scratch.

To the O.P. I have just bought one for the exact same reason, Mt Buller ANZAC weekend ,can't wait to race there for the first time.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On what grounds do you base this? Bell have been making helmets for a very long time and are one of the best in the business. They would not get Aust Standards approval on the Super 2R unless it was up to scratch.

To the O.P. I have just bought one for the exact same reason, Mt Buller ANZAC weekend ,can't wait to race there for the first time.
Bell make DH helmets too you know. Because on a downhill track they know more protection than a Super 2R is wise, add in riding an "Enduro" bike on a DH track and I for one would be looking for the better safety option, but it's only my opinion and I'm not a very good rider, hence crash and test out helmets a lot. I'm happy to concede that better riders than I would see things from a different perspective. I hope I can improve my riding to a higher level and won't be testing my helmets so often.

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
Bell make DH helmets too you know. Why?
Because they can and DH was around long before Enduro and the Super2R is made for that style of riding I believe.
I really can't see how a DH helmet is going to be 'better' than the Super unless you were unlucky enough to get a stick to make it thru one of the many air vents and then puncture your skull? In that case the helmet is the least of your worries!

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because they can and DH was around long before Enduro and the Super2R is made for that style of riding I believe.
I really can't see how a DH helmet is going to be 'better' than the Super unless you were unlucky enough to get a stick to make it thru one of the many air vents and then puncture your skull? In that case the helmet is the least of your worries!
Lets hope no one has to find out.

Last edited: