Belt drive on a hardtail AM?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Going through the process of building up a 29 hardtail MTB as a all mountain fun bike. Thinking about going belt drive to further enhance the easy going fun nature.

Was looking at the review of the REEB cycles All Mountain bike and it sounds positive.

Had anyone got any experience. Not interested in the purist single speed rant. Will it simplify the bike and make it more fun and reliable?

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a belt drive on my commuter (not SS though, with a IGH).

Not a mtbing application but I thought I'd reply as they are not that common.

The belt drive itself has been totally flawless, quiet and 100% maintenance free for the close to 15 000 km I have done. Obviously it does not see dirt and mud but I can't see any reason why it should not handle off road riding.

Perhaps the only thing is I guess SS off road riding would see some higher loads on the belt than commuting, but I have never had the belt slip or skip (even when the eccentric BB came loose and the belt lost tension).

kbekus

Likes Dirt
same as SlowManiac but only ~4000km. The belt drive has been great, no noise, no maintenance, no dirty fingers taking it off or on. I also have the Alfine 11 speed IGH, which is a good companion.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I haven't had any experience with belt drives but there's a rad video of some bloke who won megavalanche (old guy class) on a belt driven Nicolai hard tail.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't believe the Canfield is belt drive compatible - you need to be able to open up the rear triangle to fit the belt

kbekus

Likes Dirt
If you really love a frame that's not belt compatible (rear triangle can split) then GripSport can modify it for you....

loc81

Likes Dirt
Sweet vid. The Argon AM with the pinion gearbox interests the hell outta me! Quiet and minimal. Wonder who's riding these down here? I'd he interested to see how light they are getting built up.