Solved - Bent derailleur help

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Snapped my derailleur hanger on the weekend and managed to swap it out this arvo. Looking at it I'm thinking I have some how twisted the derailleur in the process of snapping the hanger. Anyone had this happen and advice on fixing it?

Will try and get a few more photos but Im wondering if I didn't send the goat link as well. Oh yeah XT m8000

Attachments

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah that goat link and cage are both bent.. see if you can get second hand one for spare parts or else it's a new derailleur.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Bent derailleurs are annoying...I've just ordered a new SLX to replace my XT because no matter How hard I tried to bend it straight never worked right....

Keeps coming off lower jockey

I'd suggest the same to you!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah straighten the goat link and its better but not great. Guess the Spectral is donating a derailleur.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Cages can be straightened if you’re persistent, but if the parallelogram linkage that does the indexing up and down the cassette is twisted, you're pretty much screwed. As soon as it isn’t moving across the cassette the same distance with each shift, you can never get the shifting smooth across all gears again.

Chances are if you’ve managed to bend the cage, the indexing is probably compromised too. Don’t forget new hangers can be misaligned from the get go too - pays to check with a hanger alignment tool. I picked up a Park Tool one from CRC for $88 a couple of years ago thinking it will never get used, but it’s been invaluable.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Managed to get the goat link straight and the cage better and it's shifting pretty good now. Changed it to 1x11 at the same time since I was down there anyway so will see how it goes on the weekend. I think my next online order will include a new rear mech and this one will become a spare/donor.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Found this video:

Good idea.
Thanks for that I'll have to remember it for the future @T-Rex was good enough to check the new hanger for me when we built my wheels.

I managed to get everything straightish and it shifts smooth but the cage still looks twisted/bent but it works so not messing with it any more.