Best all round tire for mtb hardtail??

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
hey just wondering what everyone recommends as a good all round tire for a mtb hardtail... im thinking minions or high rollers???:confused:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
minions and high rollers aint an all round tyre, there DH.

I reckon maxxis Larson TT in 2.35, grip alright when u run low pressures, roll like no tomorrow and are pretty light. They run alright on the road with high pressure (65 max i think they are).

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
WTB weirwolf LT and the Nokian Gazza All mountain have been my favourite tyres of choice for a mountain biking all round perspective.

both come in a single ply format in a good width, the nokian seems to have a stronger side wall but the weirwolf grips like nothing else in pine conditions or on damp NS logs etc.

weakest sidewall goes to the azonic vigilante.

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
ended up going into tbsm and they got me some high rollers at a great price... pretty happy with them...thanks for all your help...much appreciated:cool:

cluster

Likes Dirt
crossmarks work for me... although i haven't really tried many other combos as its the first set of tires i've used since i built up my HT. great so far though :)

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
I like the sound of the crossmark back, larsen tt front combo.

I'm currently running crossmarks front and back - the bike sees a lot of bitumen riding to and from trails etc - great rolling tyres on the blacktop but get offroad and hit some mud and/or wet tree roots and she's all slippyslidey.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Depends what you are riding.

I have run crossmarks before and have a pathological hatred for them - I will admit they roll fast but turning and braking are more important to me....

Monorails, Larsen's or Small Block 8's are all good and roll fast, if you need a bit more bite though you can't go past a Nevegal.

Currently on my XC bike I am running Monorail on the back and Nevegal on the front and it works great in almost all situations - I used that combo for Wildside and havn't seen any reason to change it since I have been back...though occasionally on a really steep loose climb I may wish for a Nevegal on the rear.

Last edited:

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
Depends what you are riding.

if you need a bit more bite though you can't go past a Nevegal.

Currently on my XC bike I am running Monorail on the back and Nevegal on the front and it works great in almost all situations ..though occasionally on a really steep losse climb I may wish for a Nevegal on the rear.
not riding xc, mainly djs and light dh...
have taken my nevegals off because they are shit...punctures every second ride...sidewalls are just too weak... all the thread was starting to show on the sidewalls.

beansd

Squid
I run a Larsen TT on the back but its a 2.0. It's been great for what ive used it for: DJ's, Single Track stuff and a bit of cross country.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Interesting that what some consider a great tyre others find lacking in some way. Guess it really has alot to do with the terrain you are riding. Personally, I really dislike Larsens and Crossmarks but love the Nevegals. Often riding in damp, muddy and rooty tracks though and the Nevegals really stick.

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
Interesting that what some consider a great tyre others find lacking in some way. Guess it really has alot to do with the terrain you are riding. Personally, I really dislike Larsens and Crossmarks but love the Nevegals. Often riding in damp, muddy and rooty tracks though and the Nevegals really stick.
i totally agree with your first point :cool: i like the grip that nevegals give but the sidewalls of the ones i had were just hopeless...

MARKL

Eats Squid
i totally agree with your first point :cool: i like the grip that nevegals give but the sidewalls of the ones i had were just hopeless...
Funnily enough I kind of agree with you, a couple of years ago I bought set of Nevegal's off ebay and you could nearly see through the side wall (slight exageration but you get my point) could not get them to work tubeless. Since then I have bought four Nevegal's in differing sizes (all single ply, NON UST) and have never had the same problem again and have run them tubeless everywhere...

The later ones that i bought were all from shops, don't know if the first ones I got were some form of reject or second.