Best alternative to Strava

moorey

call me Mia
Totally agree. I use the free Wahoo app now and it figures out all the interesting stuff. I leave it in my pack and look at when I finish my ride.

I never would want a phone on my handlebars.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
I guess old fellas like us should care about heart rate etc.....but I've personally never given it a thought in my life, though I'm in it for fun, not peak performance.
On rides, phone out of sight, recording my distance and elevation (if I remember to turn it on) nothing more. It comes out to snap an interesting vista, or to video a mate I know is about to crash/take pics after his crash. Strava times are so far from my mind, I don't even care there days about comparing me to myself.
Wouldn't mount my phone to the bars for all the 26" oranges in Ole Blighty.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Facebook of course.

Jokes aside it's more for fitness so those long fireroad climbs when I'm trying to beat previous times. Not for Maydena runs.

At the end of the day I just thought it was a handy thing to have, but it's really not it's stupid so yeah, small bike computer here I come.
My first response was (as usual) a bit dismissive but the thing with using a phone app is also that they're heavily dependent on data smoothing/validation after the fact, so the speed figures they'll be showing at any point in time will often vary wildly from reality. A small computer that has ANT+ compatibility is a better bet so that you can run a wheel sensor (on the front wheel that you don't lock up) and HR strap (if you want it) to give you real-time metrics that are more reliable.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I guess old fellas like us should care about heart rate etc.....but I've personally never given it a thought in my life, though I'm in it for fun, not peak performance.
I did use a heart rate monitor for a while, one of those chest strapped ones that one one really likes. I just know when I'm having a red line heart rate moment and and monitor just confirmed it. It doesn't happen that much unless it is a long climb in warm weather. I think it was better not to know and didn't want to concentrate on gauges and beeps and all of that.

On rides, phone out of sight, recording my distance and elevation (if I remember to turn it on) nothing more. It comes out to snap an interesting vista, or to video a mate I know is about to crash/take pics after his crash. Strava times are so far from my mind, I don't even care there days about comparing me to myself.
Bike time is meant to keep you away from the day to day distractions. Use the phone only to find people at the tail head or call an ambulance. Keep stats on embarassingly low rides is only menat for yourself.

Wouldn't mount my phone to the bars for all the 26" oranges in Ole Blighty.
There are some fashion trends best left for others :)

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
My first response was (as usual) a bit dismissive but the thing with using a phone app is also that they're heavily dependent on data smoothing/validation after the fact, so the speed figures they'll be showing at any point in time will often vary wildly from reality. A small computer that has ANT+ compatibility is a better bet so that you can run a wheel sensor (on the front wheel that you don't lock up) and HR strap (if you want it) to give you real-time metrics that are more reliable.
What about the front wheel that gets locked up? Is that going to mess with the time space strava algorithms? Might explain my mates wildly inaccurate (fast) times..

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Home... Well that was a shitty week.way better today, down to Panadol mostly already.

2 months off the bike though. Could ride in one, but if crash again it will be bad.
Are you able to get into, and out of bed without almost fainting yet?

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

poita

Likes Dirt
The Strava app is bullshit, especially after they removed HR monitoring. But it’s gps tracking is piss poor anyway.
Ridewithgps is a great app on both iPhone and Android. Found the Wahoo app patchy to start up, randomly just won’t start tracking.

my ELEMNT bolt is 4000 times better than any app though.