Best alternative to Strava

nathanm

Eats Squid
Just spent a bunch of money to mount my phone on the bars so I can use strava like a bike computer aaaaaaaaand it's crap.

Strava doesn't even show current speed, just an "average" speed, what an absolute crock of shit.

So whats the best app to use instead, or at least until I crash and wreck my phone as the quad lock won't fit on the stem so the phone sticks way out on the bars.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've been using a quadlock for a while but only for the road rides, lost my phone twice already after jumping some gardens. I found placing an o-ring around the phone and quadlock helps keep the phone in place and the vibrations made the phones internal screws come loose too. I think your best bet will be trail forks instead of strava but I haven't ventured into many other apps to know what's really out there.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Also lost 2 phones, one quadlock and one another mounting system. They seem to work for roadies, but mtbrs, even those crossing over who tend to jump a gutter or two, and they are risky

Garmin seems to be the best bet.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yep, I'm with the above. I don't understand why you'd put your expensive phone on your bars when you could use a small, cheap computer and just sync to their app.. Just my 2c though. Maybe I crash too much..... I use a Bryton

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Endomondo, cycling GPS prob still way to go as Dman says, very few apps can b custom display settings like GPS units

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep, I'm with the above. I don't understand why you'd put your expensive phone on your bars when you could use a small, cheap computer and just sync to their app.. Just my 2c though. Maybe I crash too much..... I use a Bryton
Samsung S4's are cheap these days, I'm lucky if a screen will last more than a month in my backpack without cracking and don't even need to have a stack.

moorey

call me Mia
Samsung S4's are cheap these days, I'm lucky if a screen will last more than a month in my backpack without cracking and don't even need to have a stack.
Maybe there's a reason they're cheap? 10+ years riding with iPhone in (usually) pocket and (sometimes) pack, and never damaged it riding. Yes, i do like to have a dirt nap now and then.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I couldn't even not smash my Garmin 510 back when I had it on my mtb... One OTB excursion and it's goodbye phone. Put the phone in your pocket and keep using Strava - if you're going slow enough that you can look down and read "current speed" on your phone without crashing, you probably don't want to see what it's telling you anyway :p

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Is it in a case? I've never cracked mine in my pack

Maybe there's a reason they're cheap? 10+ years riding with iPhone in (usually) pocket and (sometimes) pack, and never damaged it riding. Yes, i do like to have a dirt nap now and then.
Yeah but you're probably as one eyed about iphones as you are about Orange bikes...

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Basic Bryton here too, good for time and distance tracking while riding.

Sync when I get home and get real proof that I’m slow, out of condition and hardly climbed higher than a gutter ;). Perfect.

Don’t even take the phone.

(Apple Watch Cellular is my “call the wife to rescue me” device which I’ve had to do once or twice)

Flow-Rider

Burner
The phones are still usable, they only lightly hair-line crack the outer screen, you've got to hold the phone on an angle to notice the cracks. I ride some very rocky trails, the vibrations always unwind the threads on my Lenzyne pump that I keep in the backpack.
Is it in a case? I've never cracked mine in my pack
Yeah, I've got it in a rubberised case now, it's not really much of a concern at $200 a phone though, as long as it's still fairly usable.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i used to use Endomondo on my phone when on the bars, seemed to work well, displayed a bunch of stuff...but that was 2012, no idea if it is the same now. I use a Garmin these days, and it's eleventy billion times better than having a phone up there (but thats just me).

stirk

Burner
WTF!? Why the heck would you mount a phone to your bars to look at. You should not have time for that riding a MTB in the bush.

Look at the bush, the flowers, birds.
Take a break from the pixels..

Phone in bag and check stats later if it really matters.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I just have my phone in my pocket, but would love to have my HR on the bars for the climbs. Any time other than that, I certainly wouldn't be checking my screen.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

nathanm

Eats Squid
WTF!? Why the heck would you mount a phone to your bars to look at. You should not have time for that riding a MTB in the bush.

Facebook of course.

Jokes aside it's more for fitness so those long fireroad climbs when I'm trying to beat previous times. Not for Maydena runs.

At the end of the day I just thought it was a handy thing to have, but it's really not it's stupid so yeah, small bike computer here I come.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Totally agree. I use the free Wahoo app now and it figures out all the interesting stuff. I leave it in my pack and look at when I finish my ride.

I never would want a phone on my handlebars.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk