Best Lift Accessed DH in Aus?

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
Mt Buller has some great lifted trails, however their XC stuff (and given it climbs up and comes down Mt Stirling/Mt Buller isn't so much XC as uphill grinding) is really starting to come along.

With regard to accommodation, you can always camp at Mirimbah, nice general store there for all your needs.

alpasue

Likes Bikes
Closed ?

Pretty sure buller only runs lifts from boxing day till 6th of feb ! have to check there web site, Thredbo usually open till the start of may !

dunndog

Eats Squid
Pretty sure buller only runs lifts from boxing day till 6th of feb ! have to check there web site, Thredbo usually open till the start of may !
Correct, this is a MAJOR let down that those responsible really need to get on top of..

primal108

Likes Bikes
i agree dunndog... buller should consider running the lift atleast on weekends until after easter.. they've been pushing the riding there hardcore this year, with billboards and radio ads all over melbourne. seems strange for them to cut their season short after all that effort. i can understand them not running it during the week but surely weekends would still get some return. i can assume that the 6th feb date was because it was the last day of school holidays perhaps... but surely they can see that not all DH riders are under 18. and besides... us oldies simply cant push our bikes up hills! we're too old for that... hang on what am i saying?? nah seriously, i would like to see buller open the lifts for some weekends, even if its only twice a month, i'd go.

John U

MTB Precision
Not open on the weekends up until Easter?

That's crazy.

When are Buller Ski Lifts going to get it in their heads that Australia/Buller is not a good location for a winter resort but is an excellent location fo a summer resort. They have 4-6 months a year when they could be running Mt Biking up there if they had the desire to do so, as opposed to trying to squeeze all there returns into a 4 week season of reasonable skiable snow.

And that period of skiable snow is only going to get shorter.

It makes me shake my head.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I completely agree guys. Buller lifts should at least be open on weekends until Easter for DH. I think if they opened 7 days between boxing day and new years, then weekends and public holidays until Easter they'd probably have the biggest spend of riders per day.

However, from Mt Buller's perspective I can see their point. They need a certain number of riders to break even and for many of the days (mostly during the week, mind you) they're losing money.
Whereas while XC requires a hefty initial investment, it is almost free to run year round.
Holding the state and national races are one of the larger money spinners, however when the races are being organised for the following year they're in the middle of their ski season and hence have very little time to organise it.
And the biggest point is that they make as much money in one average day of winter as they do for the entire summer of MTB.

From a business perspective, where would you be putting your money?

Oh, and one more thing... I heard that World Trail have started building the new beginner trail which should be done by next year. Hopefully having the 3rd track will increase the number of riders and show Buller Ski Lifts that there is enough interest to run it until Easter. My girlfriend will be one of those who will be riding it who isn't keen on the current tracks.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If buller were on my door step or I was on it's door step, I would be there everyday. Unfortunately it's not and that's a big factor as to why I only really go once or twice a year. and why the You Yangs is more appealing to me even though that's still 1 and a half hours away, it's still a lot lot closer than Buller, it's a shame as well cause that Lift is so damn good.

primal108

Likes Bikes
absolutely matt from a business perspective it sounds like MTB falls short of the winter/snow scene... and of course Buller's motivation is from a business perspective, and so it should be.

in saying that, pushing the bike scene, incl XC, DH, Freeride, All MTN in my opinion should become a central focus for Buller businesses outside snow season. perhaps a 4X track might be nice too. even if a couple of places got behind it, like the ALBERG HTL, surely it could be in their interest to open for a full season of MTB riding...

if a few business's like alberg, the lift company, the bike shops, and definitely that pancake place got together they could surely make enough money between them to kick it off... as the interest and numbers increased the other places might start opening too. its just a thought, and i don;t have any figures to back my points up, but it seems as though Vic and Southern NSW/ACT would have enough riders willing to make a weekend of it to warrant running weekends til easter.

the aussie MTB mags should get behind them too, by extending their full support by promoting places like buller. it stands in their best interest too, as it will surely increase the number of riders venturing here, there and everywhere...

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
absolutely matt from a business perspective it sounds like MTB falls short of the winter/snow scene... and of course Buller's motivation is from a business perspective, and so it should be.

in saying that, pushing the bike scene, incl XC, DH, Freeride, All MTN in my opinion should become a central focus for Buller businesses outside snow season. perhaps a 4X track might be nice too. even if a couple of places got behind it, like the ALBERG HTL, surely it could be in their interest to open for a full season of MTB riding...

if a few business's like alberg, the lift company, the bike shops, and definitely that pancake place got together they could surely make enough money between them to kick it off... as the interest and numbers increased the other places might start opening too. its just a thought, and i don;t have any figures to back my points up, but it seems as though Vic and Southern NSW/ACT would have enough riders willing to make a weekend of it to warrant running weekends til easter.

the aussie MTB mags should get behind them too, by extending their full support by promoting places like buller. it stands in their best interest too, as it will surely increase the number of riders venturing here, there and everywhere...
Spot on. I know I'd be heading up between now and Easter if it were still open. I'd also head up prior to Xmas if that was available.
Not having Uncle Pat's open for pizza after a day's riding is very disappointing too.

I'm not sure if you guys saw this but a Mt Buller draft master plan was released last year. It mentioned the possibility of creating a jumps park on Bourke st just near the village square among other things (it's near the bottom of the document). Remember it's only a draft though.
http://www.mtbuller.com.au/uploads/file/Draft_Resort_Master_Plan_15_SEPT_10.pdf

Not sure how much to read into this but you'll also notice how much more money the Mt Buller & Mt Stirling Alpine Resort Management Board (RMB - who are responsible for the XC tracks) are putting in compared to Buller Ski Lifts (BSL - responsible for the DH tracks)

alpasue

Likes Bikes
Buller closed !

The chairlift at buller has no other reason to run in summer except for MTB ! Pretty expensive to maintain and run a lift just for mtb, whereas Thredbos lift is going everyday of the year for tourist rides to Mt Kosciousko, so its no big deal to have mtbs going on aswell ! It has been the same for both resorts for over 10/15 years !

John U

MTB Precision
At 2.5 hours drive from Melbourne if the Buller Ski Lift Company gave summer a red hot go it could revolutionise the mountain. (Depending on what kind of restrictions there are on them doing some trail development, but when you look at all the tree clearing required to put in some of the ski runs then a 6 foot wide bike track should be a easy. Granted it probably isn't though.)

When you think of all the people that pay to go up there and board/ski in fairly average snow at the coldest time of year with the shortest days, I reckon the same sort of people that participate in belting down a hill in snow sports would enjoy belting down a hill on a bike. In summer they'll have warmer weather and more daylight so should be able to be outdoors for longer. The only thing they won't have will be the snow which is pretty magic when it falls and is fresh, but makes a lot of other activities more hassle (getting to your lodge, getting to your car, going for a walk, etc)

I was in Whistler at the end of their summer in 1997. I don't think they were using bikes on the lifts then, at least I didn't see any. You could hire them in the village but where you went to ride I'd have no idea. That was only 14 years ago. Look at what they have now.

I'm really impressed with what Buller Resort Management have acheived with the trails. I'd really like this sort of effort to be extended into the gravity oriented lift assisted areas around the mountain. I'd love to see it all over the mountain with more than just one lift running. I understand that the gravity oriented riding is not Buller Resort Managements responsibility.

Mt Buller is made for Mountain Biking.

I guess the missing link is masses of people wanting to participate.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Got this news from Mt Buller Lifts today in case you didn't know.

Hi John,

Similar to last year the only weekend the Horse Hill chairlift will be operating outside the school holidays period is when the Bike Buller MTB festival is held. This is the weekend of 5 & 6 of March.