ACT Best of Canberra Mountain Bike Experience Workshops

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I can't see where it says to submit written proposals to? It was on that page before right? just email the contact?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
* Submissions close Friday, 30th August *

So I'd seriously encourage all Canberra riders, and those who like to visit, to submit your ideas.

Don't forget that there will be plenty of submissions from people who'd like to see easy-going 'rail-trail' style developments, so it's very much in our interest to put forward the type of trails we like to ride.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I bashed out some stuff, mostly a rant about how ebikers and people with battery powered blue tooth speakers are making me miserable. Oh and those stupid fairy doors at Stromlo are just littering disguised as decorations.

(just kidding, I was positive but did urge not to centre all development at Stromlo)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
lol, you hung shit on the hilarious trail fairy installations.

What a cynic..

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ok, my last bump for this.

Do something productive with your Friday night beers.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

ACT Environment Minister Mick Gentleman said $374,000 was being spent on new trails over the next two years along with new mountain bike facilities in Ingledene forest south of Tharwa.

He said he would push for more infrastructure funding, including for a super-trail to connect locations across Canberra.
Here is the Ingledene announcement (missed this one!): https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_...-outdoor-recreational-hub-for-canberras-south

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Thanks for posting.

Wasn't aware of the Ingledene plans either, although it sounds like it'll be some time before trails go in if they've not started planting yet.

The new Kowalski location seems to be coming along well, not sure when they plan to reveal it but they've been at it for quite some time now.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
* SUBMISSIONS STILL OPEN *

Hi all,

It seems that they've quietly extended the deadline for email submissions to the end of September.

Reading the article linked by @droenn, it's definitely emerging as a theme from locals that locations like Derby & Maydena are the standard that the ACT government should be aiming for.

In my submission I suggested an multi-day 'Epic Trail' through the Brindabellas, potential for gravity trails coming off Honeysuckle Campground, a new trail network at Cotter Dam and also the potential for a trail network around Corin Forest where the little ski and toboggan area is.

Although anyone local to Canberra definitely should be submitting their ideas if they haven't already, the consultation is all about attracting tourists.

So if you're from Sydney in particular, how big does it need to be to get you to visit?

As I mentioned earlier, this is probably a once in a generation public consultation for mtb trails.

Don't forget, there will be people requesting trails that are easier than Stromlo - so make sure your voice is heard!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Thanks for posting.

Wasn't aware of the Ingledene plans either, although it sounds like it'll be some time before trails go in if they've not started planting yet.

The new Kowalski location seems to be coming along well, not sure when they plan to reveal it but they've been at it for quite some time now.
I cannot wait to come visit when it’s open! Love kowalski trails!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I cannot wait to come visit when it’s open! Love kowalski trails!
Yes, they have the touch when it comes to nice hand-tooled XC trails.

The new location is great, lots of potential if they're allowed to explore all of it!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Another reason why mtb riders need to be on top of submissions:

Have a read of the language used by the ACT Equestrian Association (ACTEA) after attending one of the workshops.

These people don't seem happy about what's happening:

"It was interesting to hear mountain bike cyclists complain about the facilities in Canberra. Their biggest gripe seemed to be that what was available was no longer fashionable and nowadays bike parks needed height – lots of it. People were making it quite clear that they wanted to be out in the higher parts of the Bullen Range and the Brindabellas and wanted to be able to get there by cycling links from Stromlo.

This puts West Stromlo in the frame. While some attendees were whinging about how many horses were cluttering up Stromlo these days (Thanks Grant!) others acknowledged that it was always intended to be a shared facility – so they preferred to be elsewhere.

ACTEA has just been invited to participate in a revitalised Stakeholder Consultative Committee so it will be interesting to see what it has to say about the Best of Canberra Project"

Now I have no problem with horses on shared trails, and will happily give way as I'm sure you all do too.

But these are well-resourced people with the ability to mobilise and make a bit of noise. As is their right.

Just make sure that you as mtb riders don't assume that everyone else is submitting ; I only know of three or four people on here who have definitely made a submission.

T-Rex

Template denier
^ Really? Very rare that I've seen a horse at Stromlo, and when I have it's been on a fire road, a complete non issue. Anyway, I would have thought that the horse riders would prefer somewhere that wasn't swarming with bike riders, which presumably is why I don't see them very often.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
^ Really? Very rare that I've seen a horse at Stromlo, and when I have it's been on a fire road, a complete non issue. Anyway, I would have thought that the horse riders would prefer somewhere that wasn't swarming with bike riders, which presumably is why I don't see them very often.
I don't think horse riders often cross over the mtb park side of Stromlo, and possibly the antipathy towards mountain bikers stems from encounters elsewhere. Most mtb riders are aware not to ride quickly (or even stop) around horses, but it only takes a few incidents for the horse people to generalise against us as a group.

Reading the post linked in their site above, I think the concern is more around proposed trail connecting Stromlo to the Cotter Dam area. There are a few equine facilities there and it's understandable that they might get the wrong idea. If there was a connecting trail and a new trail network around Cotter, mtb riders aren't going to be fanning out across West Stromlo spooking horses. But it seems the undercurrent of their concerns.

The main reason I've re-posted their comments is for us not to take this opportunity for granted. Mountain bikers tend to be laid back folk, and it's easy to defer writing something or just assume that it'll get done. You can be sure that the horse people won't be taking this approach and will make their point strongly, even if it's not justified.

Don't let other groups control the conversation. Get submitting!

T-Rex

Template denier
Yeah so the horse folks are just another stakeholder group then. One of my observations of MTB advocacy people is that they seem to be very good at engaging and managing these stakeholders. So reach out to them and make it clear that we don’t want a zero sum game and we should work together to get our desired outcomes. IE not riding our preferred steeds in the same area.

A trail from Stromlo to Cotter would be brilliant. Better yet, two trails.... one for horses, one for mountain bikes.