ACT Best of Canberra Mountain Bike Experience Workshops

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Quick reminder to you all to fire off your thoughts for the budget consultation.

They’re asking what we think are budget priorities post-covid, and in my opinion new trail is a multiple bang-for-buck spend.

Jobs out of doors are a great thing with threatened lockdowns, mountain biking has great health benefits and crucially decent potential tourism potential as well if done right.

Let them know! Email here:

budgetconsultation@act.gov.au

Fun fact: there is currently more community engagement regarding a public toilet upgrade in a park than for new trail networks in the ACT.

So get emailing!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Email sent. Thanks for the encouragement.
Thanks mate.

These emails really do make a difference, and I genuinely believe that mountain bikers contribute a lot to the economy compared to other trail users who unfortunately have more presence in political circles.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks mate.

These emails really do make a difference, and I genuinely believe that mountain bikers contribute a lot to the economy compared to other trail users who unfortunately have more presence in political circles.

Last day to submit something everyone!
Yep thanks for following this up @Tubbsy I wouldn't have done it without the promoting. We should start an advocacy group, only half kidding I think we have the skills on here to do an alright job.

@Tubbsy President
@Scotty IT and social media
@johnny International member of mystery

I'm sure the rest of us could find something to do, I'm great at filling out forms and asking for money.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep thanks for following this up @Tubbsy I wouldn't have done it without the promoting. We should start an advocacy group, only half kidding I think we have the skills on here to do an alright job.
Look it's not a bad idea at all; as I mentioned above, mountain bikers aren't vocal advocates when compared to other community groups. I imagine the bulk of us are in the busiest phase of our working and family lives, where let's say equestrians and hikers will often be older and more vocal in their approval and disapproval of ideas.

And then of course in the bigger-picture budgeting phase where we are at the moment we're up against better organised groups still.

I'm more than happy to keep pumping out these reminders. I know plenty of you actually feel strongly about this, but everyone's busy and it's hard when you don't have an obvious and immediate response to your submissions.

Keep writing everyone, it will help!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Look it's not a bad idea at all; as I mentioned above, mountain bikers aren't vocal advocates when compared to other community groups. I imagine the bulk of us are in the busiest phase of our working and family lives, where let's say equestrians and hikers will often be older and more vocal in their approval and disapproval of ideas.

And then of course in the bigger-picture budgeting phase where we are at the moment we're up against better organised groups still.

I'm more than happy to keep pumping out these reminders. I know plenty of you actually feel strongly about this, but everyone's busy and it's hard when you don't have an obvious and immediate response to your submissions.

Keep writing everyone, it will help!
Its what CORC should be doing but from the best I can tell they are just looking at each other's arses in Lycra and drinking soy decaf lattes.

If you're able to keep the reminders coming that's a great help and I'm definitely one of the people listed above but I do think something a bit more organised would be great for the next few years to get these trails over the line and I'm happy to put some time in.

We just need a good name....

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I just received an email from a member of The Greens who's a supporter of mountain biking and questioning the car park development as well as where we're at with further trail development.

I know I've asked you all to send emails before, and looks like it's that time again. Even just a quick one to let her know about your feelings regarding the car park vs new trails.

This is her email:

clay@parliament.act.gov.au

and what she sent:

Dear Tubbsy,

I am writing to update you on work that I’m doing regarding mountain biking at Stromlo Forest Park.

I have heard from regular users of the park that they don’t feel like they’ve had the chance to have their say on the proposed $2.88M car park and events space at Stromlo. I’ve also heard from many in the mountain biking community that they feel maintenance and investment into new trails is a significantly more important way to invest in the park than the carpark and events space.

I am now planning to bring a motion to the ACT Legislative Assembly calling on the Government to do the following –

• Provide a timeline for delivery of the $1.2m Stromlo to Cotter flow trail and the $700,000 for delivering priority Canberra Mountain Biking Report recommendations as committed to at the 2020 election.
  • Establish a single point of contact in ACT Government to coordinate the ACT Government’s work on mountain biking.
  • Improve processes for direct consultation with regular Stromlo Forest Park users on proposed changes at the park, including direct consultation on the proposed $2.88M carpark and event space proposal.
But I’d like to hear from you! If you’re a mountain biker, regular user of Stromlo or just have an interest in the future development of Stromlo Forest Park feel free to send me an email with what you’d like to see the Government commit to in this space.

Kind regards,

Jo Clay MLA
ACT Greens MLA

Would be great if as many of you as possible could write in and support her on this. Squeakiest wheel gets the loctite and grease, as the proverb goes...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
The flow trail is still not on the pipeline, and given my small projects are struggling to get additional funds for completion I really can't see it getting up even though I really want it to.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The flow trail is still not on the pipeline, and given my small projects are struggling to get additional funds for completion I really can't see it getting up even though I really want it to.
Jo is the most engaged politician I've spoken to on the topic so far, so I think some support and encouragement is well worth it.

I see the car park and trail development as separate issues. As we've all discussed, the number of newer riders using the front of the hill has increased markedly, and more trails down the back will really help spread riders out further.

Ultimately it's a big potential tourist opportunity, and that is what will hopefully get government interested in following through with their promises.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Jo is the most engaged politician I've spoken to on the topic so far, so I think some support and encouragement is well worth it.

I see the car park and trail development as separate issues. As we've all discussed, the number of newer riders using the front of the hill has increased markedly, and more trails down the back will really help spread riders out further.

Ultimately it's a big potential tourist opportunity, and that is what will hopefully get government interested in following through with their promises.
You have to remember the car park funding is locked in and allocated.
Unless it gets Barr's attention, the chances of Parks/ Sport&Rec/ TCCS finding the funds until the next financial year are slim.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You have to remember the car park funding is locked in and allocated.
Unless it gets Barr's attention, the chances of Parks/ Sport&Rec/ TCCS finding the funds until the next financial year are slim.
As I said, the car park is neither here nor there to me. I don't mind what happens there.

Jo in her email above doesn't only mention the car park, she intends to follow up on the trail development. That's what I'm hoping 'burners will get behind with a quick email.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
As mentioned by @bear the bear in another thread, the great news is that $1.8m has been allocated to a new 15km trail descending from Stromlo down to the Cotter River. It's obviously super exciting to get any new trail, but this one will hopefully be a little bit special. You can read more about it here:

There's also a detailed survey to fill out about what else you'd like to see happening in the park. It's open to equestrians and runners too, so let's make sure we get our thoughts in. Many areas of Stromlo are still a blank canvas waiting to be filled with single track.

Time for me to @ you all again to get your thoughts in. I'd like to think that all of you who've contributed over the last three years have made a difference.

@droenn @bear the bear @Scotty T @Haakon @johnny @T-Rex @nzhumpy @Litenbror @damo666 @BrindiCruiser @PDub @lucifuge @D01 @sc. @slimjim1@SF Trailboy @RichJS @peanut @Shinigami @Kramer @iconic @SummitFever @zooks @doihoi @smaj

Tag anyone else in here you know rides in Canberra, the survey isn't limited to locals.

They're having public drop in sessions at The Handlebar 30th June and 1st July. Reckon I'll pop along to one of those, if anyone fancies a little Rotorburn meetup.

But do the survey, I reckon it helps a lot.

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Completed.

Very happy about the cotter link. I'm one of those lunatics that likes doing rides out to the brindies etc so it will be nice to get off the road.

Main feedback was for more natural technical trails on the western side. I suspect my feedback will get drowned out by the 'mOaR fLoW' crowd but we'll see.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Done.

My main point was to develop separate trails for young and new riders as the trails are now overwhelmed by people with vastly differing skill levels - also heaps of young kids who are being put at risk riding the same trails as larger, faster and more experienced riders.

Also suggested for trails with natural features and longer descents on the western side.

Told them that the car park was the lowest priority and to step it up with the cafe and other facilities like playground, etc.