best rims i can buy???

browny_5

Likes Dirt
hi i'm looking for the best set of rims i can get to fit a 32 spoke DT swiss 440 hub off my norco team DH since i just buckled my WTB laser discs. price is not a matter i just need a really strong pair.

thanks for any help joe

Gspot-Sniper

Likes Dirt
rims

i personally like the da bomb rims seing as they can take copious amounts of abuse. double tracks are too heavy for me but are strong. for the man without a budget id sujjest a whole new wheel set such as some dee max or industry 9 wheels. ive seen what dee max can do from my mates bikes and the industry 9 ones are getting good reviews and feed back.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alex supra D

Very strong, very light and well priced. Much better than anything Mavic make these days!

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
If you're not a weight weenie get yourself a set of Sun Doublewide rims, they take so much abuse.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run mag 30's they're pretty indestructable but heavy. I also hear they have some problems with spliting but not from my experience. Or go all out and get DeeMaxx or some top of the line DT swiss (i think sam hill runs)

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aren't doubletracks/wides Mag30's? I think I read somewhere that they are 1 in the same.

As for new rims, 719's are real nice, aswell as MTX's. Both are very good rims for DH/FR.......well pretty much any discipline really ;)

Tallman

Likes Dirt
Mag 30s for pure outright strenght. I bought them because I didn't want to have to worry about truing my rims anymore, and I haven't had to for about 6 months now (since I got them). You can even be slack and not tighten your spokes very often and they still don't bend.

Dug

Likes Dirt
If you're not a weight weenie get yourself a set of Sun Doublewide rims, they take so much abuse.
If you use Double wides use a 2.7 tyre to cover the rim.... Bloody heavy and mega wide bead for puncture resistant(snake bite). Cheep as shit on Ebay too

I am currently using double wides and am looking at Double tracks as they are a bit lighter.

Double track = Mag30's

kammaz

Likes Dirt
ive got a dice smo rim, its pretty tough, but then again im not the kind of guy to launch of a enourmous drop. it wasnt heaps expensive either.

Dug

Likes Dirt
ive got a dice smo rim, its pretty tough, but then again im not the kind of guy to launch of a enourmous drop. it wasnt heaps expensive either.
Mate you can bend any rim. The idea is to have a style and rythim that allows you to flow over stuff not just huck the shit out of any drop or rut you come across. Even when you totally blow the obstical (sp) you should be able or try to smooth it out as much as possible to avoid damage to you bike yourself and your time.....:)
JMHO

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
hey man if your after a good set of rims try some atomlab pimps they "claim" they are the strongest rim on the market and they come in 32 and 36 hole and they have some awsome colours. 32mm wide 6061-T6 aluminium and they weigh 740g but you can aslo get pimp lites which are 140g lighter. last time i checked they were going cheap of CRC for about $75

Last edited:

poiter

Likes Bikes
This is almost a 'how long is a piece of string question'. I think it's also a case of you get what you pay for. I've had a set of Alex Supra BH for almost two years now, and they've copped heaps of squirrelly landings and crashes, with only a slight wobble to the left and right. However Alex are not the most renowned of rims ( at least not in the MTB arena). DT make 5.1D's, which Sam Hill (amongst other pro's) has been known to run. They are light, but are only rated as an all mountain wheel. They are a bit softer, so may minimize the pinch flat problem, but obviously will come out of true easier. The DT 6.1D's are heavier, but obviously a lot stronger. Your answer (I'm sure you've already figured this out) depends on your concern for weight. Mavix make a lot of nice rims. If you already have FR440's, there's no point buying a proprietry wheelset like DEEMax. There are also problems associated with buying an entire wheelset. Mavic make the 721's, and 729's. The latter are a little heavier than DT5.1's, but not as heavy as 6.1's, and from all reports are way strong. I'm pretty sure that both these come in 32 and 36. Then you have Halo, Atomlab, Dice, Intense........phwew. :confused: