Best sealing Shimano compatible bottom bracket

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Any opinions about external bearing bbs that sort of seal out fine grit?
mine run rough after several serious gritty muddy winter rides .
I realise its a bit subjective .
Have found external are not great compared with the old internal stuff.
Does the quality ie Deore or higher grades matter ?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Only time I've ever killed MT800's was when I had the smart trainer setup during COVID isolation #1. Had a couple of different frame on there and used to kill them pretty regularly. No dramas on the trail at all.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Only time I've ever killed MT800's was when I had the smart trainer setup during COVID isolation #1. Had a couple of different frame on there and used to kill them pretty regularly. No dramas on the trail at all.
Yes, but you also killed multiple trainers with those massive watt bombs.........

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a plain Deore BB that lasted over 25000kms of commuting in all weather, then I went through a few on the MTBs around the 3000~5000kms and most of them were XT, not sure if lying the bike on it's side in the back of the ute contributed to the failures as I drove through a few down pours.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I had a plain Deore BB that lasted over 25000kms of commuting in all weather, then I went through a few on the MTBs around the 3000~5000kms and most of them were XT, not sure if lying the bike on its side in the back of the ute contributed to the failures as I drove through a few down pours.
Bouncing around with pressure on the low-side crank & pedal could mash the bearings a bit over time, so that might be a factor. Shimano outboard & press-fit equivalent BBs have pretty decent seals under the outer covers, so transporting in downpours shouldn't really have that much effect.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bouncing around with pressure on the low-side crank & pedal could mash the bearings a bit over time, so that might be a factor. Shimano outboard & press-fit equivalent BBs have pretty decent seals under the outer covers, so transporting in downpours shouldn't really have that much effect.
I tie the bike down well and have a rubber mat under the pedal, the last BB that I opened up and checked, the bearing had water damage in it (rusty and brown). I always try to avoid riding through water up to the BB and never use a pressure cleaner.

moorey

call me Mia
I killed one BB70 (forerunner to MT800) through reasons undetermined. The not-much-more-expensive XTR-spec BB93 I replaced it with has lasted roughly double the life of the old one, and still feels like new.
Yeah….but you’ve ridden 7km in last 2 years.
Too soon?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Thread dig, has anyone replaced the BB bearings with those enduro bearing kits? And if so how has it gone for you?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thread dig, has anyone replaced the BB bearings with those enduro bearing kits? And if so how has it gone for you?
Yes and they've gone well. Just use a good quality marine grease on the bearings before installing the outer seals and don't use a pressure washer.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk