Best SUV?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
"Quirky" gives me the shits... Just because Japanese cars have the indicator stalk on the wrong side, suddenly French stuff is weird.

Anyway, that's all a bit beside the point. As I already said, don't get one new - but at the dollars for a few years old example they blow the Xtrail out of the water.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
"Quirky" gives me the shits... Just because Japanese cars have the indicator stalk on the wrong side, suddenly French stuff is weird.

Anyway, that's all a bit beside the point. As I already said, don't get one new - but at the dollars for a few years old example they blow the Xtrail out of the water.
Now I'm just curious, which Japanese cars have the stalk on the wrong side?

They drive on the same side of the road as in Australia and the stalk is on the right?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Landrover Defender

Done dozens of events sleeping in the back of the Defender with all my gear and a 29er. Plenty of room.

Doesn't go fast enough to be a danger to anything else on the road.

There are still a few Australian army ones on the auction block.

- Carpetrunner
I want to be able to go faster than all the dangers on the road if needed.
Army ones (Parente) are a different beast to yours. They have a 4.9ltr Isuzu small truck engine. Ridiculously reliable, no electronic gizmos, slower than a boat though. You could turbo it, but still slow. Touch wider than yours too. You should grab one. Zomby apocalypse car for sure.
I had a V8 Discovery or three, fun cars, but...... Had some older landies too. They're a 4WD pretty much, I want a better handling car.

No Skid Marks

Whats the difference between the Mazda X5s and 7s? And why did someone say stay clear of the 7s?
What about a low KM older Ovlov XC70?

Last edited:

Haakon

Now I'm just curious, which Japanese cars have the stalk on the wrong side?

They drive on the same side of the road as in Australia and the stalk is on the right?
Like I said - the wrong side ;-) It is supposed to be on the left like a normal car :)

redbruce

Eats Squid
Whats the difference between the Mazda X5s and 7s? And why did someone say stay clear of the 7s?
What about a low KM older Ovlov XC70?
CX-5 is an all new design and replaced CX-7. They are quite different to drive (but still SUV).

2.5 naturally aspirated CX-7 was introduced to cut cost and redress fuel consumption, poor driveability and reliability issues with 2.3 turbo version.

Unfortunately that means a used 2.5 CX-7 is dearer than the same year 2.3 turbo.

Suggest look up reviews of Volvo XC70, I was also looking at these at one stage.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-services/reviews/car-reviews/volvo/xc70-road-test.htm

I found the Subaru Liberty Outback (Gen 4) a much better drive and worth considering if something less SUV suits.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
When we where shopping for my wifes car, we looked at the CX-5, 7 and 9.

Fun fact, the 5 is probably the most roomy of the three.

Aside from that, interior and exterior finish is rather ordinary on them.

As a side note, wifey ended up with a Pug 3008. The look of them is not something you get used too, you either like or not, but aside from that it's a under-rated car as far as I am concerned.

$23k got us a 1.6 Turbo Diesel variant about 2 years ago now, with GPS, parking cam, sensors, and HUD. Aside from that, the centre console storage is cooled and massive, the glovebox is tiny though. There is storage under the feet of the rear passengers and the boot has this shelf you can set to three levels.

The roof is all glass too which is lovely and makes the car feel REALLY spacious. Though it is spacious anyway. I fit in id fine while I could not fit in and Mazda SUV with a sunroof.

It does have more ground clearance than your average car, but it's only FWD.

Anyway, just another idea. Though I will probably get flamed for it. I've been called a faggot once driving it. Though it was by a commodore driver so a debatable assessment. :p

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Like I said - the wrong side ;-) It is supposed to be on the left like a normal car :)
Yeah, a normal car IF the driver is on the left and you drive on the right. Because it's designed for the country of origin not country of export.

In Australia and other countries that drive on the left, it's normal for the stalk to be on the right.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic?

stirk

Burner
I want to be able to go faster than all the dangers on the road and become one of them!!
Army ones (Parente) are a different beast to yours. They have a 4.9ltr Isuzu small truck engine. Ridiculously reliable, no electronic gizmos, slower than a boat though. You could turbo it, but still slow. Touch wider than yours too. You should grab one. Zomby apocalypse car for sure.
I had a V8 Discovery or three, fun cars, but...... Had some older landies too. They're a 4WD pretty much, I want a better handling car.
You have lost your way son.

Haakon

Yeah, a normal car IF the driver is on the left and you drive on the right. Because it's designed for the country of origin not country of export.

In Australia and other countries that drive on the left, it's normal for the stalk to be on the right.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic?
Had an English car once with the indicator on the right, got used to it eventually. Never really did get why the side of the road has a thing to do with the indicator. Left is normal for most cars in the wprld :)

But yes, am teasing a bit. I'm used to euro cars and am forever turning on the wipers in rentals!

Haakon

I've been called a faggot once driving it. Though it was by a commodore driver so a debatable assessment. :p
Welcome to life with a frogmobile in bogan land. As the owner of about 15 frogmobiles over the years, you get used to it...

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt

So have you, since when was Zombie spelled zomby?

If you want a reliable new diesel I'd imagine that you could program an Arduino Duo to fire the injectors but you'd have to keep an eye on exhaust temps. Common rail is pretty basic stuff and if like VW you don't care about emissions you should be able to make it run well and unlike VW you should be able to make it reliable.

No Skid Marks

No, just lost free time. If in the bush, I'd rather be on a bike. I'll get a Patentee some day.
Had a few jacked up Discoveries. Most fun and possibly capable 4wd I had was a 53 Willy, Such a rad car. Would love another one of them or the copied series 1 Landy. Need to live in a small slow town though. I had it in the Blue MTNs, it was okay there just to go shopping and to local trails.

Had an English car once with the indicator on the right, got used to it eventually. Never really did get why the side of the road has a thing to do with the indicator. Left is normal for most cars in the wprld :)
Hands free to change gears.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Though it was by a commodore driver so a debatable assessment. :p
Aren't you a member of just commodores as well??

Haha sorry I also lurk there occasionally whenever my shitbox VX needs fixing and i'm looking for info. But never hang round too long as the 'which xzorst to make my v6 sound liek a v8' threads get pretty tiresome pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Aren't you a member of just commodores as well??

Haha sorry I also lurk there occasionally whenever my shitbox VX needs fixing and i'm looking for info. But never hang round too long as the 'which xzorst to make my v6 sound liek a v8' threads get pretty tiresome pretty quickly.
I never said I'e always been perfect. Used to be a mod there even. Just there now for updates on some of the non-holden cars and pick on the v6-mang crew. :p