Best SUV?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
So looking at possibly getting an SUV.
I want all wheel drive(go to snow), bit of ground clearance for soft dirt work, enough room to chuck a bike in or sleep in, and at least 125kw.
Holden Captivas look okay, but heard they're crap. What about Fords Kuga, Honda CRV or Euro?
Buying second hand for under $20g(15 ideally) and must have under 100000kms.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Renault Koleos. Dont flip out about the french badge, they're actually a Samsung made in Korea and share the drivetrain with a Nissan Entrail.

Are worth stuff all second hand, so you get a bargain but plan to keep it for a while.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Renault Koleos. Dont flip out about the french badge, they're actually a Samsung made in Korea and share the drivetrain with a Nissan Entrail.

Are worth stuff all second hand, so you get a bargain but plan to keep it for a while.
What about repair expenses? I'll do oil etc myself though. but say an exhaust or belts etc.
Will check em out.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know much about Renault but love my Peugeots and I believe they are part of the same company. If you look hard enough you'll almost certainly be able to find reasonably priced spare parts out of the UK. Like any Euro though the dealer will charge you more for repairs than your standard Toyota/Nissan.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want all wheel drive(go to snow), bit of ground clearance for soft dirt work, enough room to chuck a bike in or sleep in, and at least 125kw.
Holden Captivas look okay, but heard they're crap. What about Fords Kuga, Honda CRV or Euro?
I've (wife) got a CRV and wouldn't recommend it for what you want

stirk

Burner
Xtrail are well regarded, well in your price range and very popular so spares would be readily available.

Haakon hates SUV's don't listen to him ;)

The other cars you mention are small hatch backs, except the captiva

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No relation to Peugeot in this case (Peugeot sell a rebadged Mitsubishi Outlander). But because the badge is not well known, and everyone assumes (wrongly for the most part) that "european = expensive" the depreciation is insane - dont buy one new!!

The petrol is a Nissan engine and the diesel is a Renault one (same as for the Xtrail). Running costs would be the same as an Xtrail.

But $15K should get a top spec one with all the toys with well under 60-80,000kms.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Koleos-2009/OAG-AD-12110255/?Cr=1

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Xtrail are well regarded, well in your price range and very popular so spares would be readily available.

Haakon hates SUV's don't listen to him ;)
I absolutly hate them, they are a pox on our roads and proof of the demise of civilisation. But if you must have one, at least get something remotely decent...

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I am Mr boring, Subaru Forester or Honda CRV, both are built well for the money but if the Subaru is coming up to needing a timing belt you are in for a bit of money, unless you buy one with a timing chain.

Get an old CRV that came with the picnic table in the boot, best idea ever!
View attachment 322042

scblack

Leucocholic
I am biased as I own a Forester, but they are a great car. They do hold their value well, so unsure if it will end up within your price range with the kilometres you seek. If its an older one, be very careful of the head gaskets as they were very prone to failure, and is a costly fix, being the boxer engine so its twice the repair. Recent ones fine for head gaskets.

I have heard bad things about the software on X-Trail CVT's so personally I'd steer clear there. Manuals are good though.

A CRV is a faux SUV. Forget one of them.

I'd suggest don't go euro as repair costs will kill you. Stay with Japanese for SUV's.

Recent Hyundai models have good reputation. I do not know much about them.

stirk

Burner
I absolutly hate them, they are a pox on our roads and proof of the demise of civilisation. But if you must have one, at least get something remotely decent...
I don't know if the hate is justified. Most so called SUV are just little hatch backs, the whole SUV moniker is a marketing trick to make people feel special they own a SUV and are so adventurous as they trundle down a gravel road in the wineries. It's works so the car companies abuse it.

At the end of the day it's still just a car, a family car.

Ah, I can see where the hate comes from now :evil:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Its mostly the incompatible hard points. They're getting better in this regard, but when an SUV hits a car side on they hit above the intrusion bars and strong parts of the car and come in through the window.

In a head on, they ride up over the crumple zones again short circuiting the safety structures. They're safe for occupants, but at the direct expense of other people.

Its not very friendly. Its the "I'm alright Jack, screw the rest of you" thing thats common...

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Actually my second car is a very under-rated SUV. Look for a Ford Escape.

Being so under rated they may well be easily in your price range, and they do tick all the boxes you are talking about.

Mine is a 3.0 litre V6, but from memory the V6 was not sold in the last few years. Mine is a 2003 model, and have had it since new and except some minor items, has been a great car.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No relation to Peugeot in this case (Peugeot sell a rebadged Mitsubishi Outlander). But because the badge is not well known, and everyone assumes (wrongly for the most part) that "european = expensive" the depreciation is insane - dont buy one new!!

The petrol is a Nissan engine and the diesel is a Renault one (same as for the Xtrail). Running costs would be the same as an Xtrail.

But $15K should get a top spec one with all the toys with well under 60-80,000kms.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Koleos-2009/OAG-AD-12110255/?Cr=1
Sorry I meant they are the same company/distribution network not similar vehicles.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I was looking for the same thing- best of all the tests where Toyota RAV 4 and Nissan XTrail. Say away from European- all car parts are expensive.
A had a Captiva And it was fine. Not much off road though

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Forester or Outback diesel? I've been looking. Best all wheel drive and around 2010 for under 20K

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Sorry I meant they are the same company/distribution network not similar vehicles.
No, you're thinking of Peugeot and Citroen - they are parts of the same PSA Group in the same way as VW/Skoda/Audi etc are the same part of the VW Group.

Renault-Nissan are another group again.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Say away from European- all car parts are expensive.
I love this misconception. It keeps depreciation on euros steep and lets people like me pick up bargains and (by being able to use a search engine) enjoy cheaper than Japanese parts prices.

Keep it up :)