Best SUV?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Asking for a friend - best diesel manual wagon body SUV with actual off road capability. He is moving from a Subie Outback diesel manual and liked that but just wants a bit more off road ability. Needs to fit a long surfboard in the back.

Was looking a Prado and an MUX - anything else decent? I have no idea about these sort of things...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Any of the usual suspects but they all have their foibles. Isuzu has the least troublesome common rail motor but it is more truck like to drive. Prados can have injector and piston issues so if they buy a Prado check injector feedback before buying. Suggest not buying the 2.8.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
A friend from Germany hired one of those their last trip home. Hated it but it was cheap. They were in a cafe with it parked along the road and watched as a truck backed into and over it. They rented something larger after that.
It’s hilarious seeing them on the autobahn, absolutely pinned. They go faster than you’d expect!!

Good for tight European city streets though

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Asking for a friend - best diesel manual wagon body SUV with actual off road capability. He is moving from a Subie Outback diesel manual and liked that but just wants a bit more off road ability. Needs to fit a long surfboard in the back.

Was looking a Prado and an MUX - anything else decent? I have no idea about these sort of things...

stirk

Burner
He said he want manual diesel and off road capable with low kms. I suggested https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1983-mercedes-benz-unimog-1700l/OAG-AD-18339237/?Cr=0
My FIL had a near mint 2nd gen 4runner which he's asked me to sell. If I don't buy it myself to compliment my most awesome 1st gen it would be a good buy. 2.8 manual diesel 200,000k's so not even run in yet. Smells a tiny bit fishy as he goes fishing every week.

With the seats down it's a nice flat bed to sleep in or carry a board.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hey there... does anyone own a Isuzu Mux, Pajero or Pajero Sport? Looking to purchase in about a month or so and starting to do my homework now. Basically need a 7 seat 4wd. It will hopefully be a 10 year car and will be hopefully used to to a lot of travelling and moddest off-roading.. The 6/7th seats will get used about once a week with little kids around town.

I've ruled out the Everest and Fortuner for price, the Holden Trailblazer for after sales service/parts, Ssangyong Rexton due to it being new and the airbags dont cover the 3rd row and also ruled out all the chinese 7 seaters, LDV, Foton etc..

Isuzu Mux ticks my boxes for most things. Although its a bit old school in technology and a bit basic....but thats not necessarily a bad thing. The boot is a good size and the split 6/7th seat are a practical design.

Pajero Sport is similar price (maybe cheaper) with more tech, safety features, AWD mode as well as 4H and 4L and also a diff lock. It again ticks most of my boxes, except the boot is smaller and the way the 6/7th row seats fold is stupid (seats partially fold into floor and partially butt up against 2nd row seats). In my opinion this makes the interior space less practical as you cant drop the single 2nd row seat to put something long in (such as bike or the weekend bunnings project stuff).

It's big brother Pajero also seems good. A bit older, boxier and pricier but I like it better than the Pajero Sport and is apparently a joy to drive as its not a ute based SUV. Only cons I can see though are the 6/7th seats is a single bench seat, therefore taking up more room when in place. Oh, and id definitely need it to fit a bike inside as the towbar bike mounts for pajeros kill the departure angle due to the rear mount spare tyre.

Thanks guys and girls..hopefully you can give me some further insight.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Isuzu Mux ticks my boxes for most things. Although its a bit old school in technology and a bit basic....but thats not necessarily a bad thing. The boot is a good size and the split 6/7th seat are a practical design.
One of my grey nomad neighbours has had a Mux for about 2 years now. It hasn't given him any problems and he has done some km's in it.
Sold it after the Amarok got into the habit of leaving him stranded in far away places with expensive problems.

Might not be the most high tech but I think you could do far worse.