Best SUV?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Might not be the most high tech but I think you could do far worse.
To be honest the MUX still has more tech than my current car anyway, so still an improvement for me.

I drove my brothers Kia Serento the other day and another mates Mazda CX5. Both cars were loaded with tech and safety features.... there was so much constant beeping and flashing of lights while driving.

stirk

Burner
@Bryce88

A good mate has a dmax which I believe is the same car basically and it's been bullet proof for a few years and he ain't selling any time soon, it's a long term investment for him. Just buy a dmax and chuck the kids in the tray.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Both cars were loaded with tech and safety features.... there was so much constant beeping and flashing of lights while driving.
Don't drive your brothers and friends cars sideways drift stylee around corners and the traction control lights won't turn bother you :).

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently purchased a used Pajero Sport Exceed. Love it so far. Seems much more refined in the drivetrain and interior that the MUX. I think the MUX is probably more bulletproof in the long run though. Exceed has all the electronic tools that do beep at you, so maybe the GLX with less driving aids may be worth looking at.
I purchased a towball mounted bike carrier so I don’t need to try and fit bikes in the back so can’t comment either way on that.
To fit long loads, you can fold the middle row seat forward and the base of the third row folds forward to fill the gap, making a flat floor to almost the back of the front seats. I’ve attached an image but if you search for “Pajero Sport seats fold flat” you’ll see that it’s possible.
One thing I do like about the Sport is that each row of seats has individual air vents and the rear rows have a separate fan control to the drivers row. Not sure if the MUX has this but it’s an often used feature in our truck.

Re: Pajero (not sport) 3rd row of seats is bloody useless as the base is so low to the floor that any passenger over 5yo is going to have their knees up around their ears. Pajero Sport and MUX are much more comfortable, even for adults on shortish trips. Also heard the current Pajero, which has been made forever, will be phased out this year and a new model that may be a Pajero/Patrol is in the works.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
@blacksp20 thanks for that info! Hmm if rear Pajero bench seat is that low its no good for my needs. Maybe back to Pajero Sport or MUX in that case. If only the Everest was 10k cheaper!

I see what you mean with the seats. What grinds my gears though is the MUX seats just drop into the floor, whereas the Pajero sport sticks out and butts up against the 2nd row seats... this really is my only gripe. I've attached a pic to try and explain what I mean, but basically I could still carry 5 people in the isuzu comfortably as well carrying something long (such as a bike). The Pajero Sport doesnt allow me to do this because of the way the 6/7th seat are stored. I mean... I guess nothing roof racks and a towbar couldn't fix.

Last edited:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@blacksp20What grinds my gears though is the MUX seats just drop into the floor, whereas the Pajero sport sticks out and butts up against the 2nd row seats... this really is my only gripe.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I’ve never tried to put anything like a bike in the back so I can’t really comment on if it would fit or not.
Only thing I can say is that the whole MUX 3rd row seats are fitting into the space of the backrest of the Pajero Sport, says a lot about the comfort levels of the back seats in each.
I’d recommend going and looking at each and sitting in the 3rd row yourself. You’ll get a good idea of the comfort levels that way. Older Pajero was an absolute joke whereas I could ride in the Sport for 30mins if required and I’m 6’6”.
Also, bikes on the roof are nearly impossible with these off-road SUV’s. I did it once and dropped the bike on my head and nearly dropped it on the ground a couple of times. It’s too much of a stretch without a 1m step. Rear mount is the go IMO.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Hey there... does anyone own a Isuzu Mux, Pajero or Pajero Sport? Looking to purchase in about a month or so and starting to do my homework now. Basically need a 7 seat 4wd. It will hopefully be a 10 year car and will be hopefully used to to a lot of travelling and moddest off-roading.. The 6/7th seats will get used about once a week with little kids around town.

I've ruled out the Everest and Fortuner for price, the Holden Trailblazer for after sales service/parts, Ssangyong Rexton due to it being new and the airbags dont cover the 3rd row and also ruled out all the chinese 7 seaters, LDV, Foton etc..

Isuzu Mux ticks my boxes for most things. Although its a bit old school in technology and a bit basic....but thats not necessarily a bad thing. The boot is a good size and the split 6/7th seat are a practical design.

Pajero Sport is similar price (maybe cheaper) with more tech, safety features, AWD mode as well as 4H and 4L and also a diff lock. It again ticks most of my boxes, except the boot is smaller and the way the 6/7th row seats fold is stupid (seats partially fold into floor and partially butt up against 2nd row seats). In my opinion this makes the interior space less practical as you cant drop the single 2nd row seat to put something long in (such as bike or the weekend bunnings project stuff).

It's big brother Pajero also seems good. A bit older, boxier and pricier but I like it better than the Pajero Sport and is apparently a joy to drive as its not a ute based SUV. Only cons I can see though are the 6/7th seats is a single bench seat, therefore taking up more room when in place. Oh, and id definitely need it to fit a bike inside as the towbar bike mounts for pajeros kill the departure angle due to the rear mount spare tyre.

Thanks guys and girls..hopefully you can give me some further insight.
I have the Colorado 7, first that wasn't an MUX with the Duromax motor. I got it as they were reputed to be nearly as reliable as the MUX but a tad more poke and cheaper. That was before Holden went belly up though.
I'd go MUX for sure. I can sleep in the colorado7.
A guy came into work, raving about his MUX, said he thought it had more poke and was nicer to drive than the Colorado Utes he drove at work.

MasterOfReality

After forever
We had Isuzu as site vehicles. I had a 2016 Dmax from new as a pit vehicle and a Prado prior to that. The Dmax and Mux are pretty basic in comparison but felt solid.

For towing, I think the Dmax did a better job, it felt like it had a flatter torque curve compared to the Prado and occasional Hilux I used to tow equipment.

One thing that did annoy me though, the Dmax had a flat spot in acceleration from memory in 2nd or 3rd gear. Not sure if this has been rectified in later models.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I'm still tossing up between cars! Unfortunately life got in the way so I haven't managed to go car shopping yet. The price of the Holden Trailbrazers has dropped significantly (for obvious reasons). But would it be safe to consider buying one as a long term car? I'm talking at least 7 or 8 years atleast..

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm still tossing up between cars! Unfortunately life got in the way so I haven't managed to go car shopping yet. The price of the Holden Trailbrazers has dropped significantly (for obvious reasons). But would it be safe to consider buying one as a long term car? I'm talking at least 7 or 8 years atleast..
For one, your mad if buying new(because you said trail blazer not Colorado 7).youll be throwing away 15-20 of value straight away, and the Holden used market should now be inline with the Holden new prices(as in as cheap comparatively).
If buying a used Colorado 7, stay away from 2015 ones, they had bad tolerances in a new factory and use oil. I've read the earlier ones are better for some reason 2013-14, but I don't think there's much in it. The newer ones 2017 on I think have some issue with gearbox electronics or something. I don't think it's a major thing though. All cars have issues, so don't read too much into that.
As loving of Toyota I am, I don't think the newer Prados reflect the brands reputation. My 120 petrol was a cool car, but after that I think they went a bit fragile. Mine was on gas that is sadly getting phased out, and although it had an outsmarted valve saver additive going in, at 170000klms I was getting nervous. In reality, I should've just kept it. I sold it and went old school back to 80 and 105 series Landcruiser, great in the bush and reliable, but always replacing shit cause it's old and probably not as good handling. I didn't want to stuff about turboing one,and it was exhausting towing, and although fun to drive being slow, as it's like mountain biking where you try brake late, hold corner speed etc, gets trying after a couple of years. Great in the bush, but in reality that advantage ads up to a few days at most per annum where it made a difference, and can always winch out anyway.
But back to your question, if buying new, yes warranty may be a pain in the arse if needed, spares are expensive anyway. I'd buy used, forget warranty, service yourself with penrite and with four wheel drives, spending less equals less stress.