Best time to visit NZ

fphmtb

Likes Bikes
Looking at visiting NZ later in the year, around November.
Is that a good time to visit?
Or is it better later, in Janurary?

Thanks

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Absolute lottery weather wise, South Is could be blazing hot one day and snow the next.

But you will at least avoid the bulk of the crowds in Jan and the trails will probably be in better shape in Nov.

Short answer is go whenever, you'll have a hoot.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Check the weather records for where ever you are going.
Weather March April pleasant minimal rain last 2 trips

Goats

Squid
Been to Rotorua 4 times now, all in first week of December.
Seems to beat the Xmas crowds, weather is warm enough and only been rained out twice across 28 days of riding.
A lot of the events are through Jan and Feb so there may be trail closures if you go then

Hilst

Cannon Fodder
Like others that have replied, I've been to Rotorua a few times with mates and each time we've gone it's been around November. Maybe we've just been lucky, but I reckon Nov is an awesome time to go. Hasn't been very busy as a general rule and the weather's always been pretty great. Bit of rain here and there but unless it's absolutely flogging down the trails generally hold up pretty well. Having said all that you could always go earlier in Mar/Apr and see Crankworx!

slowmick

38-39"
Best time of year for Queenstown? Wanting to go in the next season (fat man needs to train). I got money for my 40th to go Heli-biking in Queenstown. Will be 47 this year - seems like it is time.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've got an option for a conference in Queenstown mid-Sept. Appealing for obvious reasons.

As school holidays start the weekend after the conference, my missus is keen to bring the kids over for a couple of weeks holiday. I've been to QT and the south island twice now but in November and January.

I see that the QT bike park officially opens before I arrive (12 Sept from memory). Realistically, what are the chances of decent riding in QT in mid-late September, pretty risky weather wise I assume? Not looking to spend days in the bike park so would also want to be able to do some back country riding.

Would I be better heading north from QT with the family to Nelson area and then the North Island, which we have not visited before?

0psi

Eats Squid
I'm often in the bottom end of the North Island around October and it's pretty nice then.

I've also been in December and March and both have been great as well. Bit of a lottery weather wise over there.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've got an option for a conference in Queenstown mid-Sept. Appealing for obvious reasons.

As school holidays start the weekend after the conference, my missus is keen to bring the kids over for a couple of weeks holiday. I've been to QT and the south island twice now but in November and January.

I see that the QT bike park officially opens before I arrive (12 Sept from memory). Realistically, what are the chances of decent riding in QT in mid-late September, pretty risky weather wise I assume? Not looking to spend days in the bike park so would also want to be able to do some back country riding.

Would I be better heading north from QT with the family to Nelson area and then the North Island, which we have not visited before?
The ski areas in Otago will still have snow on them (Remarkables, Coronet Peak, Cardrona) but you'd only miss the riding side of things on Coronet Peak which is basically some of the best riding in the area. If you take a trail bike though, you can still ride 7 Mile and surrounds, the bike park and especially the trails above the bike park (best trails in town).
I've been 209 times and in every season and ridden in every season. My trip in February this year was the first trip ever that it didn't snow so keep in mind it's always a possibility and hopefully it does so you can peg snowballs at your family. ;)