Best value rear hub 142x12

Ideate

Isn't it a rule of thumb, red labeled is sealed bearings, non red is Cup n come?
Who cares, cones are so 90's. I have no idea why anyone would still make cones.. unless you're talking about the ones Dazzlers makes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Good cup-n-cone are better sealed than cartridge (sealed? not really) bearings. They also handle cornering loads better.

moorey

call me Mia
Good cup-n-cone are better sealed than cartridge (sealed? not really) bearings. They also handle cornering loads better.
While I understand the theory, do you reckon there's a rider on the DH or enduro world circuit running cup n cone? Cornering is kinda important to them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looking at purchasing a secondhand set of stans flow ex wheels but will need to change the rear hub.
Firstly not sure if it's worth it or wait for a set that has a suitable hub.
Secondly what is a decent hub for the money etc?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
If you aren't able to build the wheel yourself this is an expensive operation. I did it once a few years ago and could have made a significant contribution to a completely new wheelset by the final cost of hub + build + spokes. Have a look at the price of a wheel build on crc as a guide to whether it is worth it or not.

Hope as everyone is saying are great hubs. CRC recently had some good prices on hubs from nukeproof and sunn, both of which go ok for the money. I'm running an old style da bomb revolver in 142x12 that has been pretty awesome. They can still be found on ebay for about $100. I know this because the freehub body on mine (after a few years of heavy riding) was chewed up by my cassette. I'm still using it but would've liked to replace it.

Either way, given last weeks advice on wheels from os, it would need to be a good deal. 80 for a rebuild, plus spokes, plus the cost of a hub.
Sure you don't just need end caps?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
See..?

Cones? You what m8?
Cones...the size of cups! Must he a bucket set up.

While I understand the theory, do you reckon there's a rider on the DH or enduro world circuit running cup n cone? Cornering is kinda important to them.
There will be some poor bastard with a shimano sponsorship out there.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Picked up a nuke proof 3 in 1 rear hub a couple of months ago for $63. Ex display. Can't fault it so far. They seem to pop up on a regular basis on CRC

rstim

Likes Dirt
Picked up a nuke proof 3 in 1 rear hub a couple of months ago for $63. Ex display. Can't fault it so far. They seem to pop up on a regular basis on CRC
I personally wouldn't touch a Nukeproof rear hub again. The Pawls are very weak and break/shear off I went through 2 sets the second only lasting about 300km before I replaced it with a Hope. Not much fun pushing rolling out 10km.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Surely they wouldn't make him ride their hubs if the wanted POSITIVE exposure....would be like running Crank Bros wheels.
Imagine running a Crankt bros rim on a shimano hub with a Clark's rotor...a wheel made in heaven.

moorey

call me Mia
Imagine running a Crankt bros rim on a shimano hub with a Clark's rotor...a wheel made in heaven.
Hold my beer. A guy on Facebook is asking $200 for s/h araya rims on acera hubs with no name discs....and $50 for a well munted x9 mech.
You have no idea how hard it was not to troll.

madstace

Likes Dirt
+1 to Novatec for cheap option. I've been running a D882SB (or possibly 772) for a couple of years now and it's been pretty solid. I may have had a couple of what felt like freehub slips, but generally performs fine. POE is comparable to Hope Pro 2 era hubs, just not as nice.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hold my beer. A guy on Facebook is asking $200 for s/h araya rims on acera hubs with no name discs....and $50 for a well munted x9 mech.
You have no idea how hard it was not to troll.
How is this not a story about how you now own this valuable item?

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice lads, I think it might be a good idea to wait for a build that fits.

Any recommendations on decent rims?
After something that can handle some abuse, but not crazy heavy.
Are the stans flow ex a good choice?

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for the advice lads, I think it might be a good idea to wait for a build that fits.

Any recommendations on decent rims?
After something that can handle some abuse, but not crazy heavy.
Are the stans flow ex a good choice?

Flow mk3 for the win, but Easton ARC are crazy cheap on crc currently