Best xc bars/stem

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Why does everyone rate the Thomson stems so much? They are HEAVY (since when are they light weight?), simple CNC manufactured, and have a mirror smooth CNC clamping area which requires a reasonably high clamping torque. This is oppose to a 3D forged stem which can be much lighter, high strength and have a shot peen finish which acts as a friction surface and hence low clamping torque is required... good example being the Syntace stem mentioned below... and there are many more...
Yes, I have always wondered the same thing, is it like the cult of apple, in which you must have their products to be cool - clever marketing?

The wife has Thompson stuff on her bike, it's nice no doubt about that, but it's no nicer or better performing than the Easton and Race Face stuff I've been using for years.

Back to the OP, I just bought my very first carbon MTB product, Easton Haven bars, while have long been happy with alloy and not particularly interested in carbon products, the bars are light, rigid and actually have quite a nice ride quality. Otherwise I've been using Easton stems (havoc and ea50/70) and Race Face bars (I find their xc bars too narrow - so am bars) quite happily.

edit: only thing I don't like about easton stems is the way the bolt interface sticks out, hoping you smash you knee into it.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From a Thompson fanboi:

The Thompson X4 stem I have (100mm 0deg) weighed 166gms. Looks the business. All the other stems that weigh less look more like Roadie stems? (Except the silly priced carbon ENVE ones)

Note: Next purchase may be a Ritchey WCS C260 Stem (103gm!, are carbon stems a scam?!)

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Easton EA50 are actually a greatly underrated bar.
Bottom of the line on the Easton catalogue, but really strong and have a really nice shape. They can be cut right down and still have plenty of room for shiters and brakes too. Not feather light, but bars are one place I don't mind having some heft.
Come in a 685mm standard, hi rise or low rise.

Awesome bars and cheap as chips.

For stem, I rate the PRO stuff.
The PRO PLT is a middle of the range stem, so not real expensive but super stiff, looks great and light.
My 90mm stem comes in at 105 grams and it's stiffer than my Ritchey WCS that cost twice as much.
Easton are definately well regarded for comfort, and the most common bars where people buy multiples for all their bikes - lots of ricthey lovers as well.

Agree Thomson are just heavy bling, syntace, ritchey given you need to have confidence in a stem. I've gotta say, i really doubt there is stiffness difference between alloy stems - could well be a connection difference with the steerer - but there is absolutely buggar all give in aluminium, and 10 times more flex in the rubber, and in the fork seals than in a stem - so how do you test it?

Confidence in these items though is important - you dont want to be thinking about your bars as you do a drop off do you?

Given the weights of well made alu stems - carbon seems unsuitable for the job, but suitable for the bars in order to cut weight - again though, tyres and pressure would make a factor of many difference to comfort ahead of any change in bars.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Easton are definately well regarded for comfort, and the most common bars where people buy multiples for all their bikes - lots of ricthey lovers as well.

Agree Thomson are just heavy bling, syntace, ritchey given you need to have confidence in a stem.
At 166grams the thomson stem is approx 30g heavier then a Easton ea90, 40g more then the ritchey classic and only 10g more then the carbon fsa slk or the Easton ea70 stem. In my books I wouldn't call it heavy.
I've used thomson stems and seat posts for dh, 4x, trials and xc bikes over the years and never had one fail, unlike some of the other brands mentioned.