Better bearings for a SRAM GXP Pressfit BB

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
There are a few options around that are cheap too

AU $28.03 40% Off | Lixada BB30 / PF30 Bike Bottom Bracket 24MM Bearing Bottom Bracket 68-73mm Bike Bottom Bracket for SHIMANO SRAM GXP Prowheel

My Giant carbon roadie had the dreaded pressfit creak early on, it’s had a tripeak adapter in for 3000kms with zero issues.

http://cycletaiwan.com/tripeak.html
I might delay the replacement and go this way then. Otherwise, can you fit a pressfit without a press if you are careful? Are you better using the nylon cups if you don't havr a press??

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I will second the Wheels Manufacturing pressfit conversion kit. Used it on both the Niner RLT and a Giant Anthem. The former has a GXP version which is basically just a different bearing in one side. Both are angular contact. Both have Enduro bearings. And both came from the local distributor, SCV Imports.

The only wrinkle is that the damn things don't use a Shimano external BB tool for the install...and SCVs web shop is a prick of a thing to search through... I've found it easier to tell them their website is rubbish and then ask them to send me a link to what I need. This approach has worked twice now...

DMan

There are a few options around that are cheap too

AU $28.03 40% Off | Lixada BB30 / PF30 Bike Bottom Bracket 24MM Bearing Bottom Bracket 68-73mm Bike Bottom Bracket for SHIMANO SRAM GXP Prowheel

My Giant carbon roadie had the dreaded pressfit creak early on, it’s had a tripeak adapter in for 3000kms with zero issues.

http://cycletaiwan.com/tripeak.html
I will second the Wheels Manufacturing pressfit conversion kit. Used it on both the Niner RLT and a Giant Anthem. The former has a GXP version which is basically just a different bearing in one side. Both are angular contact. Both have Enduro bearings. And both came from the local distributor, SCV Imports.

The only wrinkle is that the damn things don't use a Shimano external BB tool for the install...and SCVs web shop is a prick of a thing to search through... I've found it easier to tell them their website is rubbish and then ask them to send me a link to what I need. This approach has worked twice now...
This?

Attachments

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah that’s exactly what the Tripeak branded one I have looks like. Maybe made in the same factory?

You do see the toothed flange so aesthetically it’s a bit different, but it should be a fit once and never again. The bearings are replaceable without the whole thing coming out, but mine are smooth and quiet still after a few thousand kms.

DMan

Yeah that’s exactly what the Tripeak branded one I have looks like. Maybe made in the same factory?

You do see the toothed flange so aesthetically it’s a bit different, but it should be a fit once and never again. The bearings are replaceable without the whole thing coming out, but mine are smooth and quiet still after a few thousand kms.
Excellent. Sounds like its what I'm after then

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Excellent. Sounds like its what I'm after then
I do see a difference and I remember now - the tripeak one I have has a nylon collar where it interfaces with the frame - the wheel manufacturing one is machines alloy.

To my mind, the alloy one you linked relies on the tolerances of your bike BB cup and the adapter both being very spot on to get a nice fit, but the nylon collar should be a more reliable creak free outcome. Dunno, all I know is I went with the nylon collared one and it’s been good - YMMV.

DMan

I do see a difference and I remember now - the tripeak one I have has a nylon collar where it interfaces with the frame - the wheel manufacturing one is machines alloy.

To my mind, the alloy one you linked relies on the tolerances of your bike BB cup and the adapter both being very spot on to get a nice fit, but the nylon collar should be a more reliable creak free outcome. Dunno, all I know is I went with the nylon collared one and it’s been good - YMMV.
Makes sense. The nylon should br a bit more forgiving if I'm installing it too

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You still need to press one of cups in don't you?
Nope...well, I didn't. Just a very light grease of the contact points and the thread itself. And tighten...lots.

The Wheels Mfg spanner is very handy - remember that the cups on this are bigger than standard Shimano so a normal external BB tool will not fit.

Pay careful attention too to the driveside and non driveside alignment. As you are only supposed to wrench on one side from memory. Basically...read the instructions really carefully

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Unfortunately, if you use something like that on the proposed BB...you will inevitably damage something. I may have already tried...

Besides, given the BB is threaded then the press is built-in to it.
Oh yes of course... sorry, I knew that! My Tripeak one came with a cup tool for screwing it together.

DMan

Nope...well, I didn't. Just a very light grease of the contact points and the thread itself. And tighten...lots.

The Wheels Mfg spanner is very handy - remember that the cups on this are bigger than standard Shimano so a normal external BB tool will not fit.

Pay careful attention too to the driveside and non driveside alignment. As you are only supposed to wrench on one side from memory. Basically...read the instructions really carefully
Alright, that's not too bad then. Yep, I saw it was a different size. The price gets up there by the time you add all the extra tools into as well if you need a press and their wrench...

DMan

Also, did you go the AC bearings or steel?