Better substitute for GatorPowerAde?

Markee

Likes Dirt
I'm with the Poodle and Pharmaboy, you don't need it.

Just consume a healthy diet before and after and drink water, lots of it. If you're concerned about sweat and sodium loss from it try a pinch or two of salt and the juice of half a lemon in a 600-700ml drink bottle while out on a ride or when you get home for putting back what the sweat takes out.
You should be getting all your nutrients from the food you eat, not a supplement. They should only be reserved for professional athletes on strict training programmes like Moorey :target:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Mark raises a good point for all those "I don't like the taste of water" people. Squeeze a lemon or a fist full of mint or basil into the water. If you're really desperate try peppermint tea.

safreek

I'm open minded about such things, but I've never felt any improvement/advantage from drinking a good range of the magic drinks over water. Maybe someone has some compelling experience or knowledge? Otherwise each a meal with some (old school phrase) complex carbs and protein in it post ride and reap the recovery rewards...

The sweat is much nicer than it sounds.
+1, no more to add than good nutrition is key to it all

Willoh

Squid
I use endura for hydration and body science bcaa for fuel and lactic acid buffer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
http://www.scienceinsport.com/au/shop-sis/go-range/go-hydro-tablets/sis-go-hydro-20-tablets-berry-1

i got some of this stuff and some gels, because I found a nice bundle on special.

It coincided with my reading an article that basically said, your body actually tells you when you are drinking too much water ... By changing the taste of it. When you need water, it tastes very sweet ( a la the saying sweet water) ... When you have drunk too much, it becomes very bland and tasteless.

Prior to reading this, I was noticing after long rides I was feeling like I'd given myself an oral enema ... I felt flushed out :drum:, all this water in my gut, yet lethargic and dry of mouth. I get massive headaches post ride as well. Whenever I ate something , I'd regurg it up all watery. I didn't want to use the premixed stuff due to the amount of sugar ... I didn't look at the nutritional info on this SiS stuff until now, but I think 1.6g/ 100 is pretty low innit? ... Anyway, I find the symptoms above disappear when I take a bottle of this stuff with my regular 3l bladder. I drink prolly 150ml mix with every Litre of water.

My level of riding endurance is prolly at its worse ever ... But I think this stuff helps me through and I don't notice headaches or bloating post ride. Win / Win ... plecibo or not.

John U

MTB Precision
http://www.scienceinsport.com/au/shop-sis/go-range/go-hydro-tablets/sis-go-hydro-20-tablets-berry-1

i got some of this stuff and some gels, because I found a nice bundle on special.

It coincided with my reading an article that basically said, your body actually tells you when you are drinking too much water ... By changing the taste of it. When you need water, it tastes very sweet ( a la the saying sweet water) ... When you have drunk too much, it becomes very bland and tasteless.

Prior to reading this, I was noticing after long rides I was feeling like I'd given myself an oral enema ... I felt flushed out :drum:, all this water in my gut, yet lethargic and dry of mouth. I get massive headaches post ride as well. Whenever I ate something , I'd regurg it up all watery. I didn't want to use the premixed stuff due to the amount of sugar ... I didn't look at the nutritional info on this SiS stuff until now, but I think 1.6g/ 100 is pretty low innit? ... Anyway, I find the symptoms above disappear when I take a bottle of this stuff with my regular 3l bladder. I drink prolly 150ml mix with every Litre of water.

My level of riding endurance is prolly at its worse ever ... But I think this stuff helps me through and I don't notice headaches or bloating post ride. Win / Win ... plecibo or not.
How many tablets do you put in 500mls? Or how many tablets per what volume of water?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
1 tab per 500ml ... My bottle is actually 475 but same same.

I only take a bottle if I'm headed out for +3hr suffer fest.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
1 tab per 500ml ... My bottle is actually 475 but same same.

I only take a bottle if I'm headed out for +3hr suffer fest.
I'm the same. I just can't get away with water. I use endura or High5 tabs and that stops the cramping for me. 750ml bottle lasts a 2hr ride for me

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Are you an electrolyte addict ?

Over rated except in seriously extreme riding conditions. Next thing you'll be after is vitamin tablets and one of those electric shock thingies that move your muscles for you.

If you dont need the sugar then you surely dont need the electrolytes either. ;0
i dunno man, australia gets pretty hot sometimes....this last summer with many of the good riding days being high 30s+, I would say riding in it is fairly extreme.
I spent a lot of my summer in the skatepark where there's no shade to speak of and hot concrete reflecting heat back for hours at a time. After a couple hours of that, even cold water makes you want to puke. Something about the --ades is really helpful, be it the sugar or whatever else.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Yeah, I've been riding in the heat a fair bit lately, and also I'm fat and unfit, so I have to work harder over say 20 km than others might.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I use 1/4 pink grapefruit juice and a pinch of sea salt in a litre of water. When I was backing it up in two classes on a big weekend, I'd also have some coconut water. I don't get cramps.

The Hubs is addicted to the sports drinks, and he gets cramps. I'm fairly certain it's because he's mildly dehydrated all the time - the body likes to dilute sugar and push it out via your kidneys.