Bicycle abuse that makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So in pulling apart the STP I bought cheap I've come across a couple of examples of mechanical abuse and neglect that near makes you want to cry.

The first and worst was the rear wheel, a ZTR Arch on DT Swiss 350 hub, that had been used for street/park and had been clearly cased on hard concrete edges multiple times creating dents, folds and rash/gouges along its circumference. Such was the abuse, the valve hole had been deformed so badly even a Schrader valved tube fit was sloppier than sex with my ex wife. Who the hell uses a $500+ premium XC wheel for Skate Park/street riding?

The forks also sounded god awful, like metal on metal. Dropped the lowers and found them full of water and putrid grease, which when cleaned off I found the pistons? absolutley coated in rust.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So in pulling apart the STP I bought cheap I've come across a couple of examples of mechanical abuse and neglect that near makes you want to cry.

The first and worst was the rear wheel, a ZTR Arch on DT Swiss 350 hub, that had been used for street/park and had been clearly cased on hard concrete edges multiple times creating dents, folds and rash/gouges along its circumference. Such was the abuse, the valve hole had been deformed so badly even a Schrader valved tube fit was sloppier than sex with my ex wife. Who the hell uses a $500+ premium XC wheel for Skate Park/street riding?

The forks also sounded god awful, like metal on metal. Dropped the lowers and found them full of water and putrid grease, which when cleaned off I found the pistons? absolutley coated in rust.

View attachment 357296
Wow. Sucks to be that STP. It'll be glad it found you

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
Kids these days, no respect for anything. My nephews $600 bike he got a few years ago for his 8th birthday sits rusting outside, now he claims it's junk and he needs a new one.....

Are they the Marzocchi EXR forks?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I bought a set of 2008 Revelation u-turns not long ago. Like you, I dropped the lowers and got a bunch of water and dirty grease pour out of them. The corrosion was not as bad as your forks there but bad enough! Took a lot of cleaning out and I had to replace a couple of circlips that disintegrated as soon as I touched them.

A while ago a friend drop around to replace the headset on his commuter bike. "It was sounding a bit crunchy", he says. As soon as I took the forks out I started shaking my head at him. No grease left, severe corrosion, gritty sand falling out. The rust was keeping the bearings from falling out of the race. I'm pretty sure he was running the headset that came on the bike about 10 years ago.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Working in a bike shop, customer comes in with his very recently bought bike to ask us to loosen the cassette as he can't get it to budge. Crikey it's tight AF but I crack it, have a quick look to see if anything is amiss. All is ok but as I go over to the bike to give him back his wheel I see he's mounted a kickstand to the stays. With Tek screws.....yeah mate it's steel, no worries ! I grab a magnet and show him it's actually aluminium and all I can do is tell him no, not a good thing, no more !

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Working in a bike shop, customer comes in with his very recently bought bike to ask us to loosen the cassette as he can't get it to budge. Crikey it's tight AF but I crack it, have a quick look to see if anything is amiss. All is ok but as I go over to the bike to give him back his wheel I see he's mounted a kickstand to the stays. With Tek screws.....yeah mate it's steel, no worries ! I grab a magnet and show him it's actually aluminium and all I can do is tell him no, not a good thing, no more !
Just stfu and let natural selection take its course....

Hey

Likes Bikes
So was it stolen and hauled out of a nearby creek before you brought it “cheap” ? That much damage to the forks with water ingress, indicates it’s been immersed. That much damage to a decent wheel indicates someone rode it like they stole it, before dumping it in a creek.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So was it stolen and hauled out of a nearby creek before you brought it “cheap” ? That much damage to the forks with water ingress, indicates it’s been immersed. That much damage to a decent wheel indicates someone rode it like they stole it, before dumping it in a creek.
Yep that definitely sounds like the most logical scenario.
You ever thought of using your amazing detective skills to solve cold cases for the police?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I went down to a swimming hole a few years ago and there was some lads practising flips or tricks on a bike into the water, it had rope tied to it so that they could pull it back out of the water from the bottom.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

View attachment 357296
Did you buy it from Shredden?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The STP wasn't really the name of the bike, more a recommendation of where the bike should be left during hours not spent riding through storm water drains and the like!