Bicycle carrier for a Pajero

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
A previous thread asking for suggestions for a bicycle carrier solution for a Mitsubishi Pajero was mistakenly deleted several days ago. Posting here to give the OP and others an opportunity to kick off the discussion again.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Insert a million recommendations for iSi here. After that some for grip sport and after that well...

I own a iSi carrier through George and couldn't be happier....Actually bought the 2 & 4 carrier as a modulated system and it is awesome.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A previous thread asking for suggestions for a bicycle carrier solution for a Mitsubishi Pajero was mistakenly deleted several days ago. Posting here to give the OP and others an opportunity to kick off the discussion again.
Here was me thinking it was deleted because the OP hadn't used the search function...

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
If I'd had unlimited funding i would have got the isi for my NP. I got a swagman jackknife 4 bike carrier instead. Its great, and gets used often.

We have to pack carefully because once it is on the back door can only open a crack. The rack can hinge down, but its quite the workout getting it back into position when full loaded. Suspect ISI rack might be more elegant here...

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
The thing with threads like this that ask for solutions to a specific problem is that if there is no proper appreciation of the problem, then the response is invariably misleading or inappropriate. I’m sure that there was a degree of confusion on the part of the admin who deleted the original thread.

The thing with the NS/NT/NW Pajero is that the tow bar is low and relatively close to the low slung central spare wheel.

This creates all manner of challenges to place bicycles on the back and maintain some sort of departure ground clearance and also open the rear door. It’s side hinged which makes it all the more challenging. Some who tow off-road campers have to remove the tow bar tongue to get into the back so Mitsubishi released a spare wheel lift kit for this vehicle. This raises the spare by 50mm so that helps the towing crowd to open the rear door with the tow bar tongue and tow ball in place. But for the bike rider it’s still a challenge.

Something like an extension arm out of the tow bar or a carrier that has a foot of tube hanging out of the back is murder on departure clearance. Fine for the highway and level trail but not if you’re going to drive over anything remotely challenging. It’s like trying to ride a bike with training wheels on. The moment you lean a bit, the training wheels hit.

The way I look at it is if you’re going to drive a 4WD like the late model Pajero that has specific requirements, then let’s add versatility rather than rob the owner of the ability to head off the main road.

So rather than following the usual RB protocol, let’s see if we can assist with an explanation of the impact of clearances on the NS/NT/NW Pajero.

This diagram shows the departure angle of the typical Paj with popular aftermarket suspension. When you drive down any of the high country track water drainage sections on any steep trail you find that you smack the rear end into the track all too often. When stock it’s even more often.

Then you install your typical platform carrier and to clear the spare wheel you use a long tow bar stinger tube. But, now even accelerating out of a service station driveway into the traffic becomes a frustrating challenge and you get that cold shiver down the spine as you scrape a bike wheel into the drive. Anything in the high country for is off-limits – which is a shame.

So you then install a carrier that raises the bicycles up above the departure angle – but with that long stinger tube to clear the spare wheel you continue to smash the rear end into track obstacles. If it’s plain gal RHS tube then that just folds up and smashes the bikes into the back of the car.

So, the reason why we keep the nose of the carrier in nice and tight to the tow bar and gain the clearance through an appropriately sized main beam, is so that we deliver the greatest departure clearance possible and protect the bikes. When the operational parameters of the carrier exceed those of the vehicle, then you drive relaxed, concentrate on the track ahead and if the car gets through, then the bikes do too.

It’s not rocket science but in the case of the late model Pajero, it makes a heap of difference. Getting into the back of the car is just a bonus.

Last edited: