Bigger chainring & Oval too, new chain?

weezyphoenix

Cannon Fodder
Hey everyone, i've tried looking for an answer, but to no avail.
Whats the go with my chain if i'm changing from a 28T round chain ring to a 30T Oval?
Will i need a new chain? The current chain has only done 200km, if that makes any difference.

It's a 1 x 11 setup, and i was going up as i wasnt happy with the 28T anyway, and thought i'd use the opportunity to try the oval.
Thanks

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can add spare links if you shortened the chain when you put it on.. Should be ok after 200km..

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bike I'm working on, changed from a 34T round to a 30T oval, no need to change chainlength for that bike

LPG

likes thicc birds
While spinningvthe pedals by hand check your chain isn't too short by putting it in your biggest (most teeth) chainring and gear and make sure you still have a bit of travel in your deraileur. If you are fs you may need more fudge factor or check it out at the spot in the travel with the longest chain.

Having said that 2 teeth us likely ok.

mark22

Likes Dirt
While spinningvthe pedals by hand check your chain isn't too short by putting it in your biggest (most teeth) chainring and gear and make sure you still have a bit of travel in your deraileur. If you are fs you may need more fudge factor or check it out at the spot in the travel with the longest chain.

Having said that 2 teeth us likely ok.
All this plus letting the air out of the shock and compressing the suspension.

moorey

call me Mia
There is a common misconception that the Oval will change the chain length, but no. When you pedal, the derailleur really shouldn't move as it cycles.
2 teeth SHOULD be fine if your chain wasn’t already at max shortness already. As above, I’d test before riding though.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a common misconception that the Oval will change the chain length, but no. When you pedal, the derailleur really shouldn't move as it cycles.
2 teeth SHOULD be fine if your chain wasn’t already at max shortness already. As above, I’d test before riding though.
Mmm, my derailleur moves slightly with the replacement 32 oval for the 32 round.. Isn’t slight movement ok and within tolerences?

LPG

likes thicc birds
My 28t oval ring gives slight deraileur movement as well. I dont think it is an issue. Ive had my oval ring on for a few thousand km fyi

moorey

call me Mia
Mmm, my derailleur moves slightly with the replacement 32 oval for the 32 round.. Isn’t slight movement ok and within tolerences?
Yeah, a few mm...until you see the way an oval works, many (including me) assume it almost look like locomotion.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
chain length varies slightly when using an oval chainring, that's what causes the slight derailleur movement

I run and oval chainring on an SS set-up WITHOUT a chaintensioner

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Depends on the method used to size the chain... If you used the method suggested by SRAM you're up the shit because it doesn't allow enough tolerance to increase anything, or even allow for chain growth through suspension movement.

If it's been sized sensibly with a bit of tolerance it'll be fine.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
D. If you used the method suggested by SRAM you're up the shit because it doesn't allow enough tolerance to increase anything, or even allow for chain growth through suspension movement.
yep the docs with my derailleur says chain overlap should only be from 1/2-1 link from chain ring to biggest cog