Bike advice

Shuees

Squid
Im looking at each of the following for trail and cross country for an xl rider. . . . . . Wats important beyond performance is service and quality for that brand
Your advice is appreciated

1 x giant anthem 29
2 x trek fuel ex 7 29
3 x scott spark 940
4 x norco sight a3 29

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Two things to consider as well are how experienced are you and how likely are you to do you're own wrenching/modifications.

If you're inexperienced and unlikely to do you're own wrenching then I would say that price, reliability of components and service are more important than the last few % in performance.

I don't own any of those bikes. But the Giant, Trek and Scott have big distributor networks behind them which means that warranty work is usually straight forward, but its never completely painless. I can't comment on Norco.

How straight forward the service is, will come down to the individual bikeshop. No two are the same and some get worse/better over time. If you have your heart set on a particular brand, look up the dealer network and ask around the local bike clubs and on here for the best shops in that network.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I’ve found scott to be up and down with support, giant is second to none, and trek are having a bit of a resurgence as brand. Don’t really know norco. Treks seem to sell well on trading post etc

Oddjob

Just another comment.

I've had a nother look at the bikes and the Scott and Norco have proprietry rear shocks. This is something that has not had a happy history, especially for Scott (genius pull shock), Specialized (everything) and Cannondale (I don't care what anyone says, the lefty and headshock are shit). I would personally avoid this.

This leaves the Giant and Trek. Main difference is the style of rear suspension. Giant has its own virtual pivot style linkage, Trek uses a modified 4 bar. The generalisation is that virtual pivots tend to have better characteristics for pedalling, whereas 4 bars are better for dealing with brake squat when descending.

Detailed analysis is found on this great page in Spanish but can be google translated. http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/trek-fuel-ex-29-2016.html?m=1

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/giant-anthem-29.html?m=1

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
The Norco shock is not a proprietary item.

It's a trunnion mount metric shock.

Give it a year or 2 and every manufacturer will be running them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Want some personal experience?
I owned a fuel ex 9 a couple of years ago which I never completely got along with. I rode an equivalent years' anthem which was much livelier

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yep..... Trek use their Fox designed RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft damper.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
The 2018 Fuel Ex is an excellent trail bike.
Would be my pick of the bikes you listed.

But I still wouldn't buy one.... go buy a Canyon Spectral (27.5) or YT Jeffsy.

Oddjob

But the Trek still uses standard rear shock sizes and mounting hardware.

Canyon and Yt don't have dealer network, so more appropriate for a more experienced owner.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
AFAIK you have four bikes from different categories. Anthem is XC /race oriented. Fuel EX is more trail and Sight even more towards all mountain. Not sure about the Scott, haven’t really looked at them. Comparing apples with oranges I was comparing a trek remedy with the norco sight.

What style of bike do you really want?

Shuees

Squid
Looking for a cross country/trail/mountain climbing bike. . . . Must be xl and ali
Middle spec componentry

Suggestions appreciated

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Trance. The $4k one is pretty mint.

I like to think of them as a downhillers trailbike, not full endurbro but they can handle a fair bit.

Also, maybe extend your budget and buy a tranny scout?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok. Not a sight for climbing. Probably a fuel ex or equivalent. By all accounts a very good alrounder with a XC bias.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
If you can ride a few bikes you might discover your own preferences. Trek stores in Melbourne have paid demos (if you buy the bike you get the demo price off). Eg https://cyclesgalleria.com.au/pages/rentals

When you’re looking to spend decent money getting demos gives you some peace of mind that the bike feels good (and the shop is okay to deal with).

A mate had his heart set on a bike after reading reviews, but was underwhelmed by the demo. Perhaps it was just the bike wasn’t set up properly, but he doesn’t have the knowledge or inclination to muck around with settings. Much happier to have spent $100 on the demo than $5000 on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossm

Likes Bikes
I like Scott bikes. The new Spark geometry & travel makes it a good all-rounder & the 3 stage lockout will help a lot with climbing

I see that Spark 940 are on significant discount from some retailers right now -

If you're in Melbourne check this at $1300 off RRP
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/d.../vic/brunswick/scott-spark-940-2017/103101423

I'm 6'3" 90kg with long arms & legs - I am happy on a Scott Large frame so you may not need XL. Have had a Spark & currently on a Genius.

Shuees

Squid
Difference between the spark and genius?

Almost bought a genius but saw more all round
/dh than the spark. . . . . .