Bike bags

Dirtydan

Likes Bikes
Ok, so I'm over lugging my bike around in an awkward box. Think it's about time I invested some hard earned on a decent bike bag.

What experiences does everyone have, I'm considering an evoc bag, CRC pushys etc have them for around $450. I've only ever used a cheap hard bike bag from torpedo 7, and wasn't a massive fan of it. Something that you can fit easily into the back of an SUV (like an xtrail) would be a decent bonus for me.

Cheers.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Scicon Aerocomfort. Used mine for many overseas trips without issue. I recently bought the Scicon Aerotech hard case for traveling on smaller airlines in more remote places. Both are excellent.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The Evoc's are heavy and cumbersome but are easy to get around because of the wide wheel path. They have some good fastening areas for your stuff but you'll encounter extra baggage fee's for going overweight a lot of the time.
I got one of these a few years back http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7BCWN2OM/title/torpedo7-omni-padded-bike-bag-with-wheels and it fits my bikes nicely. It is a soft shell but I've made an inner sleeve out of corflute so it reduces the folding of the bag and keeps it upright and rigid.

I have a theory that you rbike bag is only as capable as the unknown people throwing it around. I won't spend $450 on a bag that will not protect my bike any better than a $200 bag that is half the weight. If the baggage handler mistreats it or fucks up and even drops it somehow, the extra money you spent on a fancy bag with features you don't need is out the window. Like I said, buy something solid enough and add your own features for half the cost.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I'm trying to decide and almost pulled the trigger on the CRC copy of the EVOC but looking at the torpedo7 one and your comments I think I'm more inclined to givw it a try especially given price and weight savings.

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
I have a bag similar to dozer - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/brand-x-complete-bike-wheel-bags/rp-prod104581 - So far I've used it to travel to Canada, New Zealand a few times and Nepal and so far - no damage to my bike at all. I do wrap frame/forks in a double layer of bubble wrap, which may or may not help.

The downside to the one I have - its a bit of a pain to wheel around, have to pack the bike fairly precisely to get any sort of balance (though when at the airport I just use the trolleys which helps heaps)

As Dozer has already mentioned - a lot of it really comes down to how the bag is handled. Make sure your travel insurance will cover (or partially cover) costs if damaged.

http://nsmb.com/air-canada-destroys-bike/ - this is the most recent horror story I've heard of. The poor guy did eventually get compensation from Air Canada, though from what I've read it was a bit of a saga.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Your bike is not likely to get damaged in the Evoc, but fuck hey are heavy and awkward! (Like Dozer said) my recent trip I decided I wouldn't bother with one again (a generous friend loaned me his). Unbalanced, hard to wheel very far, long a pain in he arse in customs lines, and did anyone mention heavy? Pretty sure it was over 8kg when empty.

They do hold the bike very nicely.

I saw (somewhere) straps with wheels that you can attach to your box...

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gravedigging this thread, I know, but I have exactly the same decision to make.

Does anyone have any experience with the Apollo bike pod?
https://www.bikebug.com/m/product_info.php?products_id=14470

Semi-hard case seems attractive for some extra protection.
It looks pretty heavy at 9kgs, though nice and protective. I think you would have to always expect to have to pay for extra luggage to carry other bike bits like shoes, helmet tools plus your clothing. 23Kgs goes pretty quickly. Still it shouldn't do that annoying EVOC bag topple.

You also have to think just how much protection does the bike really need when traveling, as it is a mountain bike that is exposed to pretty serious abuse and damage just in its actual usage.

A great thing about the bags is that when you get to your destination you can fold the bags to various extents depending on the type, so that they fit in your hire car or van quite easily. A hardshell will always be taking up lots of space in the car and even your room at your accomadation.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
It looks pretty heavy at 9kgs, though nice and protective. I think you would have to always expect to have to pay for extra luggage to carry other bike bits like shoes, helmet tools plus your clothing. 23Kgs goes pretty quickly. Still it shouldn't do that annoying EVOC bag topple.

You also have to think just how much protection does the bike really need when traveling, as it is a mountain bike that is exposed to pretty serious abuse and damage just in its actual usage.

A great thing about the bags is that when you get to your destination you can fold the bags to various extents depending on the type, so that they fit in your hire car or van quite easily. A hardshell will always be taking up lots of space in the car and even your room at your accomadation.
Thanks, Moggio. Some good points.

I think the evoc bags also weigh around the 9kg mark (as do most of the other high-end soft bags), so that's a bit of a wash. The fact you can fold up a soft bag is a big plus though, including for storing at home.

When I've travelled in the past, I've used a cardboard bike box which worked pretty well but the packing time was intensive. The only thing that's been damaged was a brake rotor getting a bit bent. But that was a result of me stupidly packing it towards the outside of the box so that when something was put on top of the box it put pressure directly on the rotor.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used a Dakine bike bag recently and that was pretty good and easy to get around. It rolls on its side not upright so it doesn't have the disadvantage some of the bags have of wanting to tip over all the time.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought an EVOC for a Rotorua trip. Was pricey, but no complaints. It worked well, plenty of room but as others said, it weighed a bit so I couldn't load as much into it as there was space for.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The evoc can be made lighter by taking out the structural posts but the bag really likes tipping over then. The wheels are reasonably far apart however so they do resist toppling pretty well unless the bike moves off center. Heavy and topply at times, but still really great.

Cheaper bike bags tend to have the wheels really close together which just makes them topple constantly, the cheaper bags seem to have cheaper materials and sewing so they seem to rip and come apart so expect to travel with a roll of nashua gaffer tape.

I use an old Dakine bag which I got cheap but it weighted around 13kg empty but it was build like a tank

p3pb860723.jpg

so I modified it and cut out reinforcing material etc and got it to 6.5kgs and it is still robust. It rolls horizontally which is great and stable. A little annoying only if you have another bag to pull behind you. If you travel with a backpack I found this the best arrangement I have used (ie I have used cardboard boxes, cheaper bags and evoc)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Grave dig but since I have been on and off planes lately I have some opinions about bike bags and airlines.
I am happy with my Ground Effect Tardis ,it is light and super compact when used with cardboard dividers ,take off handlebar, pedals , rear derailleur, wheels use back and front spacers it seems a balance between weight size and protection and it will fit in a taxi and no excess baggage -30 kg if you travel with Qantas, Emirates,Qatar, Cathay Pacific .
AVoid the 23kg airlines and Jetstar are bastards and AirCanada well you read the story if you have to go through all that just to get compensation I,m afraid I am not that patient.
The low cost European airlines TAP, Iberia are ok you just pay about 50 euros extra for sports equipment as an extra bag.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Grave dig but since I have been on and off planes lately I have some opinions about bike bags and airlines.
I am happy with my Ground Effect Tardis ,it is light and super compact when used with cardboard dividers ,take off handlebar, pedals , rear derailleur, wheels use back and front spacers it seems a balance between weight size and protection and it will fit in a taxi and no excess baggage -30 kg if you travel with Qantas, Emirates,Qatar, Cathay Pacific .
AVoid the 23kg airlines and Jetstar are bastards and AirCanada well you read the story if you have to go through all that just to get compensation I,m afraid I am not that patient.
The low cost European airlines TAP, Iberia are ok you just pay about 50 euros extra for sports equipment as an extra bag.
I went with an 8kg hardshell for my partners bike from bicycleonline. It looks small to me now it's arrived, but her bike is a small frame anyway. And a mate lent me his Evoc in the end, which is a tasty item and I love the reinforcing rods. Paid the extra for 30kg with Jetstar so hopefully if I run them at about 25kg or less they'll be ok about it.... Especially after my abysmal experience with Virgin. Counting down nether the less!!