VIC Bike Buller MTB festival 2012 Your race opinion?

Rat

Likes Dirt
I'm considering doing this race in 2013

Do you think it lives up to the hype? What was your race experience like? Any tips welcome :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I'm considering doing this race in 2013

Do you think it lives up to the hype? What was your race experience like? Any tips welcome :)

It is fun - definately one of those events you should do at least once. Its not my favourite profile ("yeah I'm not a climber"), with heaps of vertical so you need to get the training in if you want to do well in it.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
I did 2012 with no idea what to expect, but had images of well formed bermy tracks etc.

It wasn't much like that - its quite technical and very rocky in sections - my cranks came back worse for wear :(. Slower and tighter than I thought on many of the days (especially day 3 which I really didn't enjoy at all) Tight switchbacks, veritcals and obstacles made it more difficult than I thought it would be.

Day one and Stonefly was great - but many traffic jams and walking quite a bit on the more technical sections due to said jams. I only did the 35km day one (Did all 3 days and didn't want to stuff myself for the rest) and the faster 50km riders caught up towards the end of the Stonefly section which was a bit annoying having to pull over all the time for 'track' calls

Day two was my favourite - Brake Burner laps (not really a downhill course which suited me being XC anyway) were great, did 4 or 5 (cant remember) then the Super D was an awesome ride.

Might do it again, but wont be devasted if I dont get there next year/something else comes up etc.

Good to do the event, finish, get the times and placings etc and to have experienced Buller tho

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I love this event. I think they are trying to get too many people now though and have too many stages (and too many options within each stage). Its not as fun as it was in 2010. It doesnt seem cohesive as not everyone is racing each other... there may be people in your race who are only doing that one race, not the whole event. Also people who wanted to do the whole event missed out as the organisers oversold (yes I was told they oversold- I wanted to donate my entry as I was sick and was told I could not) that single event (brakeburner). I lost all my money last year as I was too sick to participate and could not get a refund, an entry for this year, or give my entry to anyone else, even if they wanted to buy it.

Rat

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies everyone.

A few positives and negatives but overall seems worthwhile. I need to commit well in advance. Book holidays from work, boat from TAS and early entry as I want to do the whole event. I will read the cancellation policy and consider getting travel insurance as the boat has no refund also. My wife is racing also it would be over a $1000 loss if we had to pull out with short notice.

I enjoy a technical and rocky XC track so that's good. I loath having to walk where I could have ridden due to traffic jams. I'm usually about the first quarter of the field so hopefully those riders will be riding the technical, but not be fast enough to catch the other field.

I tend to agree on the cohesive comment. Having done quite a few multi day races I know the shared experience is a great part of it. That would be lost in this event.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
50k alone is worth the entire weekend, one of the best races in Oz IMO, you really get to ride every type of terrain. And it really feels like an epic ride rather than a race.

SuperD as well is unreal, bombing those steep fire roads and getting loose around corners wondering what is coming up next. Unreal!

riderideride

Likes Dirt
You will love it rat. The trails and terrain are amazing. If you are able, go out fast, or yes, you will be behind walkers.

Rat

Likes Dirt
I have booked holidays for the race, and I will soon need to book the boat as we will be bringing our car over and the boat books out ages in advance. The Bike Buller website hasn't been updated with the 2013 details so I'm a bit cautious about booking. I assume the race will be the same weekend which will make it Sat March 9th 2013 - Sun & Mon can someone please confirm that this is locked in or give me the contact details of someone else to ask.

monc

Likes Dirt
From memory you can change your travel dates with the ferry (for no charge if you change before the first part of the trip)

Rat

Likes Dirt
Cheers, found the tiny contact link at the bottom of page and sent an email question. Will post answer for anyone else who may be interested.

Rat

Likes Dirt
Didn't get an email reply so rang them, confirmed dates all good.

Rapid Ascent Events

Cannon Fodder
Bike Buller event details confirmed

The 2013 Bike Buller MTB Festival will be held on Saturday March 9th – Monday March 11th, over the (Victorian) Labour Day long weekend. The format will be similar to 2012 with 50km and 30km options on Saturday, Brakeburner descending to the Picnic In the Park food / wine / music festival on Sunday and then 25km race on Monday morning. We are taking steps to alleviate congestion in the 50k and spreading the brakeburner over the whole day so more riders can participate but less are on the course at any one time. Plus a few other ideas to improve the weekend further. The new 2013 event website should be up within 2 weeks at www.bikebuller.com Thanks for your interest.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Why bother paying $ to ride such great tracks that are available to be ridden at any time, last year we went up twice stayed on the mountain and just rode all the tracks. Great fun.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Why bother paying $ to ride such great tracks that are available to be ridden at any time, last year we went up twice stayed on the mountain and just rode all the tracks. Great fun.
so u can race it against others and compare your fitness and skill levels - plus racing is fun and Rapid Ascent put on a killer event :)

Rat

Likes Dirt
I can't ride MtBuller for free anytime as I live in Tas, we also have some awesome trails here that we can ride for free anytime, and I do, but I enter the Blue Dragon and Wildside and pay to race those trails and have a fun competitive social time :)

Thanks Rapid Ascent for the reply above, and for explaining how you will endevour to alleviate frustrations from previous events.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Ummm isn't this the case with most race/riding events - tracks can be ridden at your leisure throughout the year in many cases.

But thats not the point of the event is it?

johndh

Likes Dirt
So there could be your answer if you want to go and race then go pay the $200 and race against others, but if you just want to enjoy the tracks and ride them over and over again, go at another time.
I would suggest though that those who haven't ridden them should do so prior to going and trying to race on them, as they are different than most other tracks around.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
So there could be your answer if you want to go and race then go pay the $200 and race against others, but if you just want to enjoy the tracks and ride them over and over again, go at another time.
I would suggest though that those who haven't ridden them should do so prior to going and trying to race on them, as they are different than most other tracks around.
Great suggestion, however not always feasible for those who live a fair distance away from the event location.
With Mt Buller, it helps if you are a climber and descend OK :)