Bike cage etiquette

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Its actually a respect thing - If you have been parking (bike or car) in a certain spot for an extended period of time then respectfully that becomes your spot. I would avoid other peoples spots as I would expect them to avoid mine. The catch is when new people start and have no idea obviously on the pecking order.

In this case however he hasn't been commuting for like 100 years maybe he is now taking some one else's spot?
This is a pretty weak argument in my opinion. You are not respecting the other cyclists who have to use the cage by expecting preferential treatment. Where there is limited space either work together or park your bike on the street, if you want preferential treatment rent a spot somewhere. The places I'm talking about had 2000ish employees so there is no pecking order just people riding to work and people who are too precious about their commuter bikes.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
, don't touch other people's shit.
Its this bit that triggered me... I dont commute on a hack, i use my quite nice carbon roadie with the matte black paint (never again....) thats prone to marking. By being an OCD freak I've kept it largely scrape free over 9000 strava kms and im no mood for it picking up marks by someone else mucking with it.

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
But why is it your spot? In a cage with limited space why do you get preference? Honest question?
If you take the effort to improve the spot then I think people should respect that and leave it for you.

I get your other point about having a $30 beater but my MTB is also my commuter and I like to keep the paint free of scratches unless they are battle scars from pushing a bit too hard on the trails.

I've never had anyone take my spot so I guess it's just a known thing that the other riders don't park there.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Its this bit that triggered me... I dont commute on a hack, i use my quite nice carbon roadie with the matte black paint (never again....) thats prone to marking. By being an OCD freak I've kept it largely scrape free over 9000 strava kms and im no mood for it picking up marks by someone else mucking with it.
Unfortunately while I respect your bike and how you take care of it, even without people moving it, bike cages are not good places for delicate bikes. I have seems some absolute clusters where multiple bikes have gone down because someone slipped when getting a bike down so I think you have to accept some responsibility when parking you bike in such a place.

Haakon

Unfortunately while I respect your bike and how you take care of it, even without people moving it, bike cages are not good places for delicate bikes. I have seems some absolute clusters where multiple bikes have gone down because someone slipped when getting a bike down so I think you have to accept some responsibility when parking you bike in such a place.
Oh I know. I am as careful as I can be and park in what I hope are low risk parts of the cage, but I do acknowledge I am rolling the dice somewhat! Its not a massively crowded area thankfully.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If you take the effort to improve the spot then I think people should respect that and leave it for you.

I get your other point about having a $30 beater but my MTB is also my commuter and I like to keep the paint free of scratches unless they are battle scars from pushing a bit too hard on the trails.

I've never had anyone take my spot so I guess it's just a known thing that the other riders don't park there.
I would recommend you check your insurance and whether your nice bike is covered when in the cage at work, it's one of the reasons I went to a beater from my Honzo. If there isn't a premium on spots then people can chose to make one nice, but it's a choice and people have the right to park their bike in any free spot unless the owner of the cage says otherwise. Saying you have rights over something because you put some tube around the hook is like me going into a public car park and putting my name on a space, completely meaningless.

Haakon

I would recommend you check your insurance and whether your nice bike is covered when in the cage at work, it's one of the reasons I went to a beater from my Honzo. If there isn't a premium on spots then people can chose to make one nice, but it's a choice and people have the right to park their bike in any free spot unless the owner of the cage says otherwise. Saying you have rights over something because you put some tube around the hook is like me going into a public car park and putting my name on a space, completely meaningless.
Yeah, its listed as a specified portable item on my house contents insurance with an agreed value attached. Even covers it when i take it on work trips OS for loss and damage at the hands of airlines.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah, its listed as a specified portable item on my house contents insurance with an agreed value attached. Even covers it when i take it on work trips OS for loss and damage at the hands of airlines.
Yeah I looked into doing the same and found the excess and additional policy cost didn't make sense so went to the $30 beater bike.

Haakon

Yeah I looked into doing the same and found the excess and additional policy cost didn't make sense so went to the $30 beater bike.
It adds about a hundred bucks or something to my premium... But it’s a $3K bike that would cost $5k to properly replace. And I really enjoy riding it, makes the commute that much more enjoyable :)

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It adds about a hundred bucks or something to my premium... But it’s a $3K bike that would cost $5k to properly replace. And I really enjoy riding it, makes the commute that much more enjoyable :)
It's worth it if your happy with the premium. When I looked it added a few hundred to the yearly premium as well as the out of pocket was about $600. Figured if someone stole it it was most likely going to happen at work so was going to cost about 1k to replace the bike. Decided to save 1k and go for a cheap bike, I also don't have far to ride.

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
Well worth shopping around for contents insurance. My bike is covered for $5k, the premium was only another $120 a year and excess is only $100.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Well worth shopping around for contents insurance. My bike is covered for $5k, the premium was only another $120 a year and excess is only $100.
Is that $100 on top of the usual excess? Who is it through because I looked at a few.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Who the fuck commutes on a beater. Fuck even my uni commuter was a single speeded Klein that had been superseded by a MTB upgrade.

In the past I have named my spot and the spot was usually further away from the other bikes. At one point there was some careless fellow parking a genuine beater against my commuter with plenty of empty spots....... I politely asked him to refrain and he did.