Bike Carrier that wont reduce a 4WDs departure angle

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been eyeing them off, just the normal ease of use questions for touring with the family are holding me back.. looks really solid tho bit overpriced considering its such a simple design. Unlike the racks they ripped the design off from like northshore etc that have hinges etc.

A swingaway version would be perfect, cimbine with something like a rakattach .

Here's an interesting rack coming to the market, I rekon this will become way more common.
I know of one that was used once and is now being repaired after the welds not holding...

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I know of one that was used once and is now being repaired after the welds not holding...
OK, not a good look..

After I nearly lost a bike that fell off my current rack I'm very conscious about carrying possibly 10k + worth of bikes and rack failure, as well as user failure!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK, not a good look..

After I nearly lost a bike that fell off my current rack I'm very conscious about carrying possibly 10k + worth of bikes and rack failure, as well as user failure!

What rack do you have currently?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
What rack do you have currently?
It's a Chinese 2 bike rack, wheel loops and ratchet on top tube.

Actually great rack but has a couple of issues like the wheel loops can slide if not done up super tight. This is how I had bike fall off. I now take extra precautions and have since gone interstate a few times with no issue.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure the brand name racks would cover it if you are looking for reliability, not sure about T7 cheapo racks. Maybe they would but I didn't want to find out.

Accepting the few compromises it's why I got an ISI. But even then it's not completely disaster proof, one time the front tyre deflated for no particular reason and the bike sunk in the cradles, it was still in place at the destination but I thought if it weren't on road and for much longer it could have escaped out the top tube foamy hook, so I try to remember to run a safety strap nowadays.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
so I try to remember to run a safety strap nowadays.
Yeah I always use a tube that I wrap around both top tubes and the hooks, just in case. At least the rear mounted bike won't flop out of the rack if it moves

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
one time the front tyre deflated for no particular reason and the bike sunk in the cradles, it was still in place at the destination but I thought if it weren't on road and for much longer it could have escaped out the top tube foamy hook, so I try to remember to run a safety strap nowadays.
You’ve raised an important point Shred – I hope one that will be of interest to others.

When a tyre goes flat – and they do, a bike needs to climb up out of the wheel support cradles in order to be ejected from the wheel support cradle – from both ends. The only way that a bike can be ejected is if the ramp angle on the top tube is steeper than the curve described by the tyre rolling up and out of the cradle at the frame support contact point. In other words if your bike has a very steep top tube and you’ve clamped at that steep part, then the bicycle will be ejected. Easy.

Now, the way to fix the cause – rather than to address the symptom is to move the frame top tube contact point towards an area of the top tube that isn’t steep – which is closer to the seat tube. Much like this example below:

If the Yeti shown above was clamped at the steep part of the top tube, it wouldn’t stay on the carrier. But by moving the frame support contact point further back towards the seat tube, the frame is now clamped on a flat part of the top tube. This ensures that the bike will not be ejected.

In the case of the iSi product, there are two vertical and offset support posts. Whilst that allows for each bicycle to be clamped at the ideal position, it also allows for both bicycles to be pulled together for very narrow load. Much like the animation below:

Shred, I do welcome being contacted with any of that sort of stuff - and take advantage of our experience in travelling rough terrain with potential for all sorts of chaos. Chances are we’ve experienced it before and can at least offer some advice. If something is worth worrying about, we’ll tell you.

Hope that helps.