Bike carrier

stoo

Likes Dirt
If that bit of extruded shite fits in your 50mm towbar, the main tubes would be 35mm RHS? That's pretty lightweight.
Spend more, and don't lose your bikes out on the road.

sprocket

Likes Dirt
I tried cheap carries in the past, pay the extra and get something that doesn't require you to check your rear vision mirror every 30 seconds to see if it's still there..

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Raahto, I'll give it a miss and stump up the cash for a good one. Thanks for saving me from watching my bike cartwheel down the Calder!

Ideate

They've got them on display if you're in Melbourne. Go have a look? For what it is, you could easily make your own if you're on a budget.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Just a different thought for you... on both of our cars we have the old style standard bike rack that attaches to a removable mount on the tow bar… one is a 4 bike rack the other is 3 bike rack… but I have two ‘coathangers’ or “Ladies Bike or Y Frame Alternative Car Rack Bar” as CyclingDeal call them, permanently installed in each rack.

They are super easy to use, as you can clip the bikes in under the stem and under the seat or seatpost, in two shakes of a jiffy. I do run a rope behind the water bottle cage and tie to the front wheels. Everyone else is frigging around loading up and we are long gone, as it really only takes 20 seconds to load. Two possible issues... the racks don’t tilt down, but both our cars are sedans, so that’s no issue for us… and depending on where you clip the bike in, if you drive up a steep driveway, you may drag a wheel momentarily in the transition… but it’s never been an issue either.

Attachments

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a look at torpedo 7 site more robust similar price. . But that carrier will work fine. Carbon bike don't like top frame carry, he crack.

Minlak

custom titis
Used the 4 bike one from Torpedo 7 for 2 years now with no issues they do a 3 bike one as well.

torp73.JPG

torp74.JPG

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Used the 4 bike one from Torpedo 7 for 2 years now with no issues they do a 3 bike one as well.
+1

Running the 3 bike one of these.

Good to load/unload

Nice and robust

no need to keep pulling your hitch out

lockable to towball

fucking shit PITA cam lock straps

regularly on sale at a very good price

get the light board when you order it

get the 4 bike one if you plan to carry 3 bikes often

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1

Running the 3 bike one of these.

Good to load/unload

Nice and robust

no need to keep pulling your hitch out

lockable to towball

fucking shit PITA cam lock straps

regularly on sale at a very good price

get the light board when you order it

get the 4 bike one if you plan to carry 3 bikes often
Had 1 - sold it - upgraded to ISI.

It may sound trivial but whilst the torp7 was adequate and did a good job, the extra you pay for the ISI is well worth it.... I had used the ISI one more in the first 3 months than the torp one in 3 years...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

It may sound trivial but whilst the torp7 was adequate and did a good job, the extra you pay for the ISI is well worth it.... I had used the ISI one more in the first 3 months than the torp one in 3 years...
Did some point to point shuttes with eastie at Castlemaine. He had the ISI, I had the torp7. Took longer to load my one bike on the torp to head home than it did to load both on the ISI. An upgrade us definitely on the cards........eventually.

That said, I believe the torp7 is the best rack out there at that price point. At the discounted price, it's unbeatable.

ualf

Likes Dirt
IMHO there is only one thing to fault with the ISI carrier and that is :- it is heavy.

That said I honestly think it is the one to have. I have done thousands of Km with up to four bikes on it and the thing had been flawless.

I expect that the kids will need to fight over it once I'm gone :)

Minlak

custom titis

Did some point to point shuttes with eastie at Castlemaine. He had the ISI, I had the torp7. Took longer to load my one bike on the torp to head home than it did to load both on the ISI. An upgrade us definitely on the cards........eventually.

That said, I believe the torp7 is the best rack out there at that price point. At the discounted price, it's unbeatable.
Sure the ISI one is fantastic and you do get what you paid for however lets compare apples with apples and oranges with cumquats at $900 (with out lights still you may get booked if the bikes block your your lights) it should be better.

isi.JPG

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I have one of the Torpedo7 4 bike racks posted about above. It's pretty robust, fits bikes easily once you have them sorted with which goes where and fairly easy to load. The only problem I've found is the front bike, closest to the car, it's just a bit fiddly if you're doing ti by yourself trying to hold the bike in place and strap it up with one hand. The other spots, they can all lean on the uprights and it's much easier.

If you're looking for a 3 + rack and don't have a 50mm hitch then this is a good option.

The price is good, just don't forget you have to add $80 on top for shipping.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 4 bike ISI one in pieces in my garage ATM waiting to be put together. Planning on doing a bit of a review for those interested.