Bike collective in Canberra?

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Burners,

My daughter has just moved to ANU and her bike has started to habitually throw a chain. I could spend a day driving from Sydney for some quality time with my daughter and some spanners then accidentally do a few laps of Stromlo and Kowan - actually not sounding too bad now I think of it...
or,
I could help her to become independent and get her to fix it herself under the watchful eye of a sister from the communist bicycle collective wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt, dungerees and doc martins.

I found a website but they look very stale (2007?) Does anyone know of a bicycle self help group in Canberra?

-Carpetrunner

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No idea about the collective but if she really gets stuck there is a bike shop at ANU in Union Square next to the Newsagency.

Cheers,
Michael.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Burners,

My daughter has just moved to ANU and her bike has started to habitually throw a chain. I could spend a day driving from Sydney for some quality time with my daughter and some spanners then accidentally do a few laps of Stromlo and Kowan - actually not sounding too bad now I think of it...
or,
I could help her to become independent and get her to fix it herself under the watchful eye of a sister from the communist bicycle collective wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt, dungerees and doc martins.

I found a website but they look very stale (2007?) Does anyone know of a bicycle self help group in Canberra?

-Carpetrunner
She might want to join http://www.pedalpower.org.au/about/

Its the ACT version of Bicycle Victoria group down here. Membership is worth it for the insurance and access to legal assistance for cyclists.

Gets her in a cycling network and can work from there.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Doesn't seem to be any MTB content with that org. If you don't ride roads you may find that the ONLY benefit for folk like us is the insurance.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Doesn't seem to be any MTB content with that org. If you don't ride roads you may find that the ONLY benefit for folk like us is the insurance.
Same as BV.

These days, apart from the occaisional Great Vic BikeRide event with friends, and transport to local trails, I avoid the road.

I'm only in it now for the insurance (which I have been able to claim on for recent surgery to repair torn AC after an off road OTB), but you can also get that with MTBA membership with a MTB club.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The lady in question here might want to look at Canberra Off Road Cyclists - they may not have workshops and such but is a big crew that would put her in touch with good people and those that can advise and assist.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
No idea about the collective but if she really gets stuck there is a bike shop at ANU in Union Square next to the Newsagency.

Cheers,
Michael.
We even sometimes know what the fuck we're talking about :). Mostly just cranky though. sleep deprivation, kids, thesis.. all adds up to somewhat blurry bike advice.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, you fellas have helped me out with a couple of quick adjustments as I pass through on the way to work/class.