Bike for the other half - upgrade idea

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have been thinking about upgrading the wife's bike, and dreaming about new wheels for myself. Had a brain wave that I possibly convert my current bike for her.

She has an older Anthem X 29er, and oddly it's quite similar in all effective rider cockpit dimensions to my Trance, the TT is the biggest diff being shorter by 5cm, however as she runs an offset post and 70mm stem it's easily overcome. Otherwise Trance is a tad lower overall, a decent bit longer and quite a bit lighter. As a bonus would give me a possible alternate ride when main bike is down.

Not seeing too many downsides to this and she doesn't mind what she rides, it's a rare event anyway. Thoughts?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Have been thinking about upgrading the wife's bike
she doesn't mind what she rides, it's a rare event anyway. Thoughts?
I'm trying to understand your motivation here schred. With all respect it sounds like your thoughts are more aligned with your wants rather than her needs?

Having two bikes that gives you a backup isn't such a bad thing though, particularly if your other half doesn't ride that often. Can't see any real issues with her on a trance either, apart from the obvious: smaller wheels, slacker geometry, longer travel. Why don't you set it up for her and let her try it out?

I'm all for encouraging our partners to get out for a ride too; the only way my wife would be out on the trails is if I hid the foxtel remote along one somewhere...

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good pickup, definitely motivated by my aims & not hers, to limit haircut/effort involved in upgrading the bikes. My secondary motivation is to have a half decent bike available for her to ride if she ever chooses to. It's really only for contingency though; she's ridden the current bike once in its lifetime 3.5yr lifetime, and the one before that twice.

Motivation C is I wanted to get her something with smaller wheels, and yes I could buy her a new bike but the idea of dropping another 3K on a the currently available low range women's duallie for her not to ride isn't that appealing.

But definitely driven by my aims, not hers.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I think your logic is sound mate - no point paying a premium for a pink bike with Deore components for the rare amount of use that it will get.

Having access to two better built bikes that you can ride and she can too on occasion seems far more practical.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Go for a ride with her and swap bikes... but be sure to adjust seat height.

She may love it... and it'll be the way to go.

She may go pfffft... in which case you know it is not worth pursuing.

My wife rides two to three times a week and would be on a new bike in a heartbeat... but, three daughters, private school, uni, etc.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers Lazmo & Nambra. Would love to do the swap test but as a demo of how little she rides she said when we talked this morning about swapping it 'sure, I won't ride it until later next year anyway'

Makes me think I'm trying too hard to avoid selling bikes when that's the best course, and find her a bike on sale from mid-next year.

damo666

Likes Dirt
What level of rider is your wife? You mention she only rides a couple of times per year?

My wife has my old Anthem 29er and I have a 650b Trance.

She loves riding the Anthem. Its really easy to pedal, so efficient and in her words "just comfortable". Its equally at home spinning along bike paths with the kids or simple single trail cruising (all she's really up for).

She HATES the Trance. Its longer, more cumbersome and takes that extra bit of effort to keep moving.

Unless she's a decent'ish sort of rider I dont reckon its a great move for her.........but if you get to go N+1, maybe still do it!

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
If she rides that often I wouldn't bother upgrading her. Just upgrade your own bike.

For what it is worth my wife has just grabbed a Scott Scale 740. She tried a bigger travel bike and hated it.